Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #21

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
I was going to recommend Hitch Mart to you, got to the second page of the thread and saw you had found them. They just installed a new Dexter axle on our Globetrotter.

Nice work, nice folks. Loren thinks Airstreams are very cool and takes care and pride in his work. Rich is a manager who charges a fair price and would like to see your return business.

If it was me, I'd cut and paste the helpful tech stats from this thread to take with me.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #22
2006 F350 V10 Ext. Cab LB

1998 30' Excella 1000
Sherwood , Oregon
Hi again,

For the record:
Cairsen Brake & Alignment
265 Taylor St
Eugene, OR 97402

was a misprint & should be (I just spoke with Dave Schumann, the Schu's News author):
Kaiser Brake & Alignment, Inc.
265 Taylor St
Eugene, OR 97402

It's the shop I used.

Walt
Driver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I have an appointment at Hitch Mart tomorrow so I'll let you know how things go. They say they can do an aligment. jc
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

JC - I'd like to hear how the alignment at Hitchmart went. I bought a pre-owned 2005 16' Bambi recently, and it is wearing the outside tire edges quite rapidly. I was also referred to Kaiser by Sutton RV, but really don't want to drive all the way to Eugene just for an alignment.
I also want to lift the trailer a little bit, and Sutton RV service said that's a pretty easy process. The only adjustment I can spot looks like it would actually lower the trailer a bit, if I'm looking at the axle mounting correctly. Anyone with experience on this?
Appreciate any feedback you can offer.
Thanks, Ed
kd7trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7trx View Post
JC - I'd like to hear how the alignment at Hitchmart went. I bought a pre-owned 2005 16' Bambi recently, and it is wearing the outside tire edges quite rapidly. I was also referred to Kaiser by Sutton RV, but really don't want to drive all the way to Eugene just for an alignment.
I also want to lift the trailer a little bit, and Sutton RV service said that's a pretty easy process. The only adjustment I can spot looks like it would actually lower the trailer a bit, if I'm looking at the axle mounting correctly. Anyone with experience on this?
Appreciate any feedback you can offer.
Thanks, Ed
If you have a single axle trailer that is wearing tires don't fool around with some local shop. Drive the distance to have it done right. The Hinchen axles are NOT ADJUSTABLE in the sense of a car front end. There are no adjustments. You have to BEND the axles and there for you have to find a shop that knows what they are doing the first time.

As for raising the trailer I do not know of any way to do that short of remounting the axles on the frame. There are 4 holes on each side that hold the axle and they are not elongated to allow for adjustment.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Andy, you suggested that I call you regarding this post. I now have a new axle and had commented that I was not sure the the new axle did the job. I was not certain in this post precisely where we were measuring to on the axle mounting plate. To get something within 1/16th of an inch the measurement must from and to precise points and I truely don't know what the axle mounting plate is since that page is missing from my AS manual. In re-reading your post, I note that your first creteria is to make sure the tires are not twisted. In looking more closely, I think they well may be, since I must maneuver the trailer past the garage to the pad beside the house. The rear of the trailer must move to the left rather sharply to get to that position. Perhaps I don't really have the problem after all. I can't back the unit straight onto the pad because of the curb so I'll have to wait until I have it out on the street to make the measurements. Thanks for your help. Jim
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrivet View Post
Andy, you suggested that I call you regarding this post. I now have a new axle and had commented that I was not sure the the new axle did the job. I was not certain in this post precisely where we were measuring to on the axle mounting plate. To get something within 1/16th of an inch the measurement must from and to precise points and I truely don't know what the axle mounting plate is since that page is missing from my AS manual. In re-reading your post, I note that your first creteria is to make sure the tires are not twisted. In looking more closely, I think they well may be, since I must maneuver the trailer past the garage to the pad beside the house. The rear of the trailer must move to the left rather sharply to get to that position. Perhaps I don't really have the problem after all. I can't back the unit straight onto the pad because of the curb so I'll have to wait until I have it out on the street to make the measurements. Thanks for your help. Jim
I just got out of the hospital, with a new knee. WOWEE

Now all I have to do is tons of rehab, so that I will be able to walk without a walker and/or a wheel chair. BUMMER.

I have no idea when I will be able to return to my office.

I will try to help you the best I can.

The axle mounting plate, is welded to the outside of the frame, and is easily visible, especially if you remove a tire. You will find 2 each 5/8 inch bolts that go thru the axle mounting bracket, that hold the axle to the axle mounting plate.

The dimension you should come up with is either 61 3/8 inches, or 67 1/8 inches.

I would be very cautious of a shop that did not know what an axle mounting plate is.

If you need more help, please call Greg at our office.

He can post a photo of what the axle mounting plate looks like, when it's mounted.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote