Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Are these Henschens?

Hi all,

I took these pics of my newly acquired and recently deconstructed '74 Argosy26. What am I looking at? I read the threads on the Henschen factory tour and have seen the specs on positive angle and negative angles, but I can't sort out the diagram versus my rig (maybe I need to take a wheel off?) Are my suspension pics indicating something other than a Henschen?

Thanks and cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Day Five Measuring Suspension CloseUp (reduced).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	25922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day Five Measuring Suspension Far View (reduced).jpg
Views:	117
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	25923  

Name:	Day Five Measuring Suspension Hub (reduced).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	25924  
Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper
Hi all,

I took these pics of my newly acquired and recently deconstructed '74 Argosy26. What am I looking at? I read the threads on the Henschen factory tour and have seen the specs on positive angle and negative angles, but I can't sort out the diagram versus my rig (maybe I need to take a wheel off?) Are my suspension pics indicating something other than a Henschen?

Thanks and cheers!
Chopper
Can't see the swing arm in the pictures, so I can't tell the angle.
Take a look at the end of the swing arm that the Axle shaft is welded to. If it is above the centerline of the cross member (toward the belly pan) it is then "a negative angle". An angle of 0 deg. to +25 deg loaded is considered a good angle, negative is bad and needs replacement. Can't tell if it is Henschen by just looking it probably is though, looks original and that's what they came with.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Gotcha, thanks!

I'll have a look tomorrow, I think I know what you mean.

Cheers!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Those axles look a lot like Henschen axles.
How is the suspension? If the trailer suspends nicely, then you might be able to travel a little while longer with these axles.
If the suspension is very stiff and bouncy, then it is high time for new axles.
New axles typically have a starting angle of 22.5 degrees, which is not a very long way from the amrs being parallel to the frame, especially when loaded.
I have seen a fair amount of axles that looked close to doom, but worked very well indeed. Determining an axle's condition is really best done by checking the suspension quality. Unfortunately, it takes a bit of experience and reference to do that.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Flat Ground I Bet

Hi Uwe,

I've left my Argy just where I dragged it in last Wed into the staging yard...on deep grass, so it's hard to see under the carriage. When the rain stops, I'll pull the Argy into the shed where I'm removing that clouded wing window. Also, it's gravel in there, so I should be able to see what is going on with the suspension.

But it does seem "stiff" on the floor just above the axles, which I thought was a good thing, but maybe not if they are bottomed out. When I bounce at the end of the Argy, there's enough bounce, which I thought was a bad thing meaning rear end frame dproblems, but maybe not if it means the suspension is still good.

Can't wait for the rain to stop <listening> nope, it's still going strong!

Cheers!
Old 09-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
It has a horizontal shock, what other manufacturer designs it's torsion axle with a horizontal shock?

I would bet a case of cold ones that is a Henschen axle.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Alright, taking a wheel off to take a look

I see from Inland RV's site regarding the Henschen Factory Tour that I have the Henschen suspension, but I don't understand where those shocks are attached to. I'm going to take off a wheel and have a good look!

Cheers!
Old 09-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I am not suggesting that your suspension is good, or bad. I have seen quite a few axles that had torsion arms that were close to horizontal but still had good suspension qualities, and others that had the correct torsion angle but very hard rubber, allowing little to no suspension travel.
The shock attaches to a short bracket that is welded to the torsion arm. The lowere end of the shock is mounted to a stud on the frame. The movement of the shock is minimal, and the damping of a new shock is very soft. I found that the difference between old shocks and new shocks is often barely noticeable. When you check the shock, make sure that there is no "play" at it's usual operating range. Also, the shock should not show any signs of oil leaking from it.
Good Luck with your Argosy!
Old 09-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper
Hi all,

Thanks and cheers!

The torsion arm on your Henschen axle that you have, is going uphill as it goes rearward.

Sorry, the axle is done.

As you add a payload to the trailer, the uphill angle will increase, which will cause the trailer to bottom out as it hits even small bumps.

That can and will cause various damages to the trailer.

Replacements are available from various sources, depending on if you want to replace original with an original, or settle for something of far lesser quality, or something in between, or of an unproven quality, not based on opinions, but based on long term performance. You can also chose to provide all the dimensions and/or specs that you want the replacement axle to be, or if you wish, stay with an original, not having to take any possible chances or risks.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Thanks for the Evaluation!

Hi Andy,

Thanks for taking a look! I called our local Airstream dealer (Vision RV in Spruce Grove, Alberta) and I was a little disappointed that he didn't have any answers for me and that he didn't know what Henschen suspensions were (neither did I last Wednesday, but I'm learning). He's supposedly checking for the replacement cost on them for me but it's been three days already. <sigh> Does a replacement Henschen (times two) come with those shocks?

I'm researching electronic brakes right now too. It's combined with my learning about the trailer electrical system. I believe that the brake system is in the hub and is completely separate from the suspension. Is that a correct assumption?

I understand that the axle replacement can be DYI...replacement with just four bolts, then however the shocks are on. And then the brakes too.

Thanks for the advice. I will replace with proper parts because I'll be adding quite a bit of load on the unit with my rebuild. (I build houses on the side, and there I can build as heavy as I want...I'm wondering about cabinets in this rebuild, but that's next week's task!)

Cheers!
Old 09-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Thanks to Andy at Inland RV

Andy,

Thanks for the valuable advice yesterday (Sat)! I phoned you up and you set me straight on the suspension and brake system that I need for my Argy rebuild.

I'm working on my budget and I'll try to find room for the disk brakes too versus the electronic brakes.

Cheers!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Clear view of the Suspension

Hi all,

With my Argy up on ramps, I got a good look at the suspension and it looks to be at 0 degrees. But that's with the Argy completely empty. I'll see what happens after the rebuild!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Day Eleven Dropping the Grey Other Suspension (reduced).JPG
Views:	129
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	26542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day Eleven Dropping the Grey Suspension (reduced).JPG
Views:	146
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	26543