Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2023, 12:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Alaska without a lift kit?

So, my bucket list trip to Alaska in early June is approaching. I’m now realizing a lift kit for the airstream would be nice. But, at this point might not be able to swing it due to time constraints.
So, I would like to hear from those who made the trip to Alaska without a lift kit on their airstream.
Also, planing early June to early August trip if any other Airstreamers would like to communicate along the way. Family of four with an ugly lab.
Old 04-23-2023, 01:24 PM   #2
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
I’ve made that trip many times without a lift kit. As a matter of fact, I don’t have a lift kit. The only place I ever bottomed out, was exiting the ferry at Dawson City, ferry captain hit a river swirl as I was exiting the ramp, and I drug a little bit no damage whatsoever but I could feel it. Driving in some areas will be a slow task, just learn the signs for rough roads and road repair, it will save you. Driving slow is your dear friend and you will see and enjoy more, theirs no reason whatsoever to be in a hurry. I usually leave early May and return in early September however, this year I am scheduling my trip with a later departure date from Mississippi. I’ll probably will not be able to leave until mid May. I will look for you along the way, I also travel with a dog, he’s a seven year old golden doodle. Hopefully I will meet up with other airstreamers along the way. Either way, alone, in a group, or caravan, it’s a wonderful trip.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
We went last summer with no lift kit. No problems. We did need to replace the segment protectors when we got back. Rocks are a much bigger issue than clearance, IMO.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Been twice without a lift kit. dragged maybe 2 times lightly. Once totally my lack of judgement in a campground. I think having one would be nice but I would go anyway. Ours is a 25' and probably has less overhang than yours. As somebody said, the real risks seem to be pea gravel from trucks and sharp gravel in tires. Unless you try to go somewhere just crazy with the trailer all the roads are generally nicely graded. Eagle and Coldfoot and other side trip places like that are just off the trailer list for me.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:19 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Twice to Alaska and no lift kit.

Really, I think too much is made of the road hazards in Alaska. Except for the Destruction Bay to Tok part of the Alaska Highway, the roads are fine. And you can avoid that section by going to Dawson City and taking the Top of the World Highway to Chicken, AK. 40 miles of dirt road but very smooth when I did it.

Yes, there are periodic heaves and sections reduced to gravel because of road work, but they were all manageable. Just slow down a bit, and you will be fine.

Re: Dalton Highway - we left the trailer in Fairbanks and made a day trip with the TV up to the Yukon River. It is a well maintained dirt road most of the way with a fair amount of truck traffic to and from the North Slope. Follows the pipeline. Great scenery and recommended. I did not see the value in taking the trailer or trying to go much further on this road.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:29 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
We don't have a lift on our 27FB (which is 28' long) - no problems in Alaska, dragged slightly coming off the ferry in Dawson City, no damage.

As advised, go slow - when we were there in 2019, there were markers warning when approaching frost heaves. Mostly good roads. We did Alcan, Top of the World and Cassiar highways.

We did have to go to plan B (unscheduled side trip to Valdez) when we couldn't get to Homer because a wildfire closed the road....but that's another story LOL
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:58 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
We went without a lift kit. Did bottom out in some pot holes between Tok and Haines junction. Subsequently installed the lift kit and wished I would have installed it right when we got the trailer. Its a big improvement. Eliminates a lot if dragging. That said, I would not delay an Alaska trip if I didn’t have it.
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 09:02 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the real world responses.
I called Airstream & it was recommended not to install on 15 year old axles. Better
To just do it when new axles are needed.

Can’t wait to start this journey!
Old 04-25-2023, 09:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
#1: 16 inch wheels and tires

#2: 3" lift kit on New or Old Axles

If your axles are too old for a lift kit, why are newer axles better? It creates CLEARANCE, not stressing anything. If you need NEW axles later... the lift is already installed at no additional cost.

Tires: 16 inch Michelin tires and Sendel Wheels

Both of these options improve the clearance for any Airstream, AND the resale value as well. In Alaska and Pennsylvania.

If you replace the Axles, the Lift Kit, which is a metal spacer and brackets will work with the new Axles.

Poor Eye Sight, Poor Judgement and Poor Clearance are not good with any Airstream traveling into the.. unknown.

Be very careful of taking advice from those who do not have the Lift Kit or better tire options. You may be led to believe you are OK, but when you get hung up and damage your trailer, the repairs will exceed the 'investment' of improving clearance and tires.

I have the 3 inch lift and 16 inch Michelins on the 2019 27 foot International. Not one complaint...

From Experience... not an Opinion. Enjoy your trip. Prepare for unpaved roads that your trailer clearance may be reduced and dragged through mud and rock. This is just from USA roads off the grid. One inch is as good as a foot when needed.

If you do not have 4 wheel drive... now, that could be a bigger problem, no matter the clearance. You know your limits with a 2WD, so be aware of needing 4WD. When stuck, you will understand.

From 17 years of Off the Grid Boondocking experience, learned by doing and learning the hard way. If you need a tool or a lift or tire upgrade, it is already too late.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
currently in alaska,, fairbanks and have a lift..

actually replace axles last year on 2005 30 ft classic unit. We ordered the axles with a 3" high brackets vs the 1" high standard.. also did a 32 degree down vs 22.5,, would not do the 32 down as it adds a bit more lift.. we actually went up 4.25" over the old axles.. and went from 4300 to 4500 pound cap.

that but a bit more height the stabilizer need to handle.. most time i need to put some blocks under the snap pads to get it secure and if the ground slopes it need more..

the big deal on teh alcan is the frost heaves especially bad at destruction bay north.. you run into some stuff before that but not a ton and they are marked..past DB they get hugh.. you can see waves that are like 14" tall and two to three or so you get a lot of up and down on hitch.. slow down.. there are some gravel section but they are short and usually smooth.. when you see a sign to slow JUMP on the brakes as they like to put the slow sign just a few feet before gravel it seems..

This is will be our first and last time up the alcan.. its a fricken bear and and long ways from MT sweetgrass crossing to fairbanks and now down to denali. then we gotta go back.. OH HECK.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 06:29 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We took Lucy to Alaska and back without a lift kit in 2019. We did have 16" wheels and LT tires. There is a trip thread about this trip @ https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ucy%27s+Alaska.

It is a long thread (494 posts) but may be worth a read if you are considering the "great trek".

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:44 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
The lift kit is a good addition, and your axles are far from “worn out” at 15 years old. Unless you’ve had a collision or hit something hard enough to to bend the axle, servicing the brakes and bearings is all that one needs to do. Have a qualified axle shop that knows torsion axles do the work, and you can get them to inspect the axles before they service. If your trailer tows well, and tires are not showing signs of irregular wear, they are likely in fine condition.

16” wheels are an unnecessary expense. You can buy quality 10 ply tires for your 15” wheels in a taller profile if that is a priority for you. There are plenty of people out there towing on stock tires and wheels without a stupidly expensive hitch who are enjoying their trailers as much as anyone.

There is a group of posters on here who tell everyone that joins “ you MUST have items A, B and C to safely tow and enjoy your trailer. It’s a load of bull. Everyone’s situation is different, and different hitches, tires etc work for different situations. Do your OWN research and make your own decisions.

Of course, common sense and good judgment (as Ray mentioned) are the key to not damaging your trailer no matter whether you choose to modify it or not.

Reality check complete…
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’m typing this post from a “campground” off of the Alaska Highway in Beaver Creek, Yukon. I’ll be crossing over the Alaska border today and stopping in Tok this afternoon. The highway north of Destruction Bay was truly horrible as reported, and I expect more of the same today.

I’ve seen every imaginable type of RV out here on the Alaska Highway. From what I can tell, most of them are not modified. Everyone seems to be doing fine. As mentioned above, speed control is the most important key to success. Go slow and learn to spot frost heaves and other road damage. Many frost heaves are marked with orange warning flags. However, I found that some of the worst heaves had no marking or warning at all. Go slow and be alert and you’ll be fine.

36° this morning, and 20+ hours of daylight. It’s really a different world up here…

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote