Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Airstream business practices--gotta wonder why

What is the reason, certainly not because they have the customer in mind?

We needed a new tag axle on our 345, something I would of thought would be easy to procure. First Airstream was zero help, no matter who you talked to they simply would not or could not help directing any and all questions to Henschen (oem mfr) or dismissing with a "do not have that information" remark.

Henschen for some reason will only sell through one dealer, one! No one else can order the axle, can't really figure that one out either. Kind of eliminates any competition, always good for someone besides the customer.

Need new shocks for the tag axle? no luck to be found down at the NAPA or local parts house. It is a gabrial shock but you can't order it from gabrial, no one can. Gabrial will tell your parts man that he can't sell it to him. Meaning you can only source it through an airstream dealer, some deal that I am sure you can trace back to the airstream mothership. Cheap shock worth maybe 10 bucks can be yours for three times that price plus shipping and handling thanks to that policy.

Airstream sure has a funny way of wanting to preserve the airstream legacy and harken back to the bad old days.

I still like the bus but the shine is off the airstream name for me.
Honkity Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hey Hank, I moved your post to the axle forum. There's lots of info here on axle replacement. Try a search in this sub-fourm for "tag" axles. It's doable.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Don't loose the faith my friend - once you wade through the tarnish and the kiddy sandboxes - you will get the answers you are looking for and at 1/3rd the price.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Here is a link to the search I did for tag axles.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...earchid=612979

In the future, you might want to click the search button in the upper right of your screen. Tap in what you are looking for and start the reading.

As to your question above. I am not sure you are going to get an answer other than guesses. My guess! Supply and demand. Not much demand so very little supply. You don't state what year your unit is. And I am not familar with MOHO's or 345's. And if it's 20 or 25 years old it has really seen the end of it's designed life as far as any manufacture. Try getting a complete axle (at any price) for a 20 year old Ford or Chevy from a Ford or Chevy dealership. Cars are made in 10 or 15 times the volume of an RV and they don't carry many "new" factory parts. Remanufactured is possible. And the price is relevant to how many people want one.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action