Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shallowater , Texas
'74 Sovereign axle question

I am picking up a 1974 sovereign this weekend. It is a double axle and came with factory aluminum wheels. Somebody robbed two of the aluminum wheels. From the pictures the owner sent me, it looks like a 6 bolt pattern. Did this trailer have lug studs or lug nuts? What rims will fit this axle so I can drag it home? What is the spacing on the bolt pattern?

Thanks, Ron
stickandtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Our '74 Sov with Alcoa wheels has 6 lug studs. No idea of the spacing tho, sorry.

Here's about the only photo I have that shows the wheels very well.

Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Aluminum Trailer Wheel Style: SERIES #03 Size: 15 x 6 Bolt Pattern: 6 x 5.5 Bore Size: 4.25 Load Rating: 2830 lbs @ 80 PSI Offset: 0mm Hispec

15 x 6 Bolt Pattern: 6 x 5.5 Bore Size: 4.25 Load Rating: 2830 lbs @ 80 PSI Offset: 0mm Hispec
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shallowater , Texas
I have two 15 inch steel wheels with a 6 on 5.5 hole pattern. Will they work to get the trailer home? Will the lug studs work with a steel rim? This trailer is about 300 miles away so I can't look at the axles to see what I'm dealing with.

Thanks, Ron
Old 04-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Spring Hill , Florida
My '74 Sovereign, with the 5-slot aluminum wheels, has one axle with lug bolts and the other with lug studs/nuts! A P.O. replaced either one axle or two drums at some point. The originals are the bolts, the replacements are studs. At some point I'm going to replace both axles and be done with it.
sepezlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shallowater , Texas
NEW DEVELOPMENT.....The other two factory rims have been located. Seems a relative "borrowed" them. The airstream owner will be getting them back tomorrow. Just for reference, I did talk to the owner and had them look at the hubs and the hubs do in fact have the lug studs(which were present). Problem solved.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with great information on this post.

Ron
Old 12-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #7

1974 29' Ambassador
Picayune , Mississippi
I appear to have the same wheels on my recently acquired '74 Ambassador. Tell me. are these "tubed" tires only? My PO says they are, (and it does have tubes now) but when I look at them closely, I see what LOOKS like a lip inside where the tubes' air valve comes out that would accept a valve for tubeless tires..
Opinion?

Thanks
Toad
dafrogtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign