Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2023, 04:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
"63 Globetrotter Dexter axle specifications?

Can anyone confirm the bracket to bracket measurements and the hub to hub measurements for a Dexter Torque axle for the '63. I know it's a # 11 axle 22.5 down angle and I believe the bracket to bracket measurement is 57 7/8" and as close as I can tell hub to hub is 75 1/2 ". Not real sure on the hub to hub. Also what axle capacity to order. I've seen the weight for the trailer listed as both 2770# and 3500#
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Sorry, can't help you with the axle specs but weight will be dependent on how much you upgrade the unit with current systems (grey water tanks, batteries, solar, etc). I suspect #2770 may have been the dry shipping weight from the factory.

I suggest you query on the forum for other 63 owners on what they've added and their current weight. I went through the same process and under estimated how much upgrades would add. Ended up redoing suspension a second time.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 08:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Call Colin Hyde of Colin Hyde Restoration in Plattsburgh NY.

He is the Expert on all things vintage Airstream axles.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
My experience ordering from Colin Hyde

I did order my axle and lift kit from Colin Hyde and it has been installed. I had almost given up on hearing from him but I finally did get a call back. The lady who contacted me ( I believe it was Barbara ) was great to deal with , very knowledgeable and kept me informed during every step of the ordering process . The price seemed fair and the shipping was timely and flawless.
Now the down side of my experience :

Refused to order anything but EZ lube no explanation as to why was given. EZ lube is great on boat trailers but not needed on an Airstream unless you are too lazy to maintain the brakes and bearings.

Refused to give me the measurements and capacity of the new axle so I could confirm the fit with my old axle and yes I realized it would be a # 11 instead of a #10 so I could get 12x2 brakes and that some holes would need to be drilled. Explanation was he's been doing it for 15 years and it would fit. Not exactly a customer friendly approach when I'm the guy footing the bill. No explanation given for what happens if the axle did not fit.

The shock mounts came welded on in the wrong position due to the lift kit installation. They had to be cut off and welded again This is even after pictures of the old shocks were previously Emailed to him. Unattached would have been much better. This made for lots of extra shop time and cost to me

Bottom line is would I order from Colin Hyde again -no. His staff was great but arrogance is not good business.
Old 06-11-2023, 03:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
1963 Globetrotter axle specification information

In case anyone is interested here is a photo of the specification tag for a Dexter axle on a 1963 Globetrotter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5134 (2).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	433063