Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Santa Monica , California
'62 globetrotter

How do I figure out if the axel and springs are in good shape without towing it somewhere?

Thanks.
Maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Two Cents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya
How do I figure out if the axel and springs are in good shape without towing it somewhere?

Thanks.
Maya,

This is a tough question – even for an Axleman!
You see there is a lot of liability behind giving you the wrong directions for inspection. So I will point out a few obvious things to check but please understand –THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE LIST!
  • Check the forums – do a search – for any problems with axles related to your specific trailer. In other words, see if others on the forums have had problems with axles on units just like yours.
  • Jack up unit safely, this has been discussed on many previous forms – do a search to properly raise and secure your unit.
  • Disassemble the braking/hub components for bearing, seal, brake pad, brake magnets, spindle and over all inspection of condition.
  • The problems with the axle tube itself (the main body) are tough to spot. The axle tube body will actually begin to rust from the inside out. Thus, it may look fine but be ready to break at any given moment.
  • Only a shop with a spring tester can determine if your springs are still good. If the rebounding characteristics are still present.
  • Look for any warn components and if in doubt replace them.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
I would recommend finding a competent axle shop and let them do the inspection. Again, this is due to liability. My opinion is that many folks spend a lot of money fixing up a trailer only to see their hard work destroyed because they overlooked the axle condition. I would always start with the axle and work up (start from the ground up). New appliances are neat as are new interior and exterior improvements but look at it this way – if your air conditioner fails your hot but safe, if your axle fails your really hot – and not safe. Look at safety first, not only yours but others that may be affected due to your poor planning.

Simply two cents from a retired Axleman – I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
62 might have an early version torsion axle, welded on with long brackets.
Those will definitely need professional attention. Removal and safe installation of a new axle, regardless from which manufacturer, far exceeds most backyard mechanics skills. Note that I wrote "most".
Old 10-30-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Maya

I think firstly we need to see your serial number, if you do have a 1962 it will have torsion axles and not springs. 1961 was the start year for Henschon axles on Airstreams. The torsions were bolted on in '62 most were welded in '61.

Greg
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
source for axle info

For a really good expanation go to Inland RV's web site and look under Axles. It has a very good illustration that will quickly show you what your axle should look like if you have a torsion axle.

If in doubt replace . In my mind nothing is more important to both the trailer and and my safety than good running gear.

I replaced the axle on my '63 with one from Inland, not an inexpensive proposition but I was very pleased with the end result. Just had its first outing, a 2500 mile trip to Virginia beach through lots of mountains. What a difference in towing vs. my old worn axle.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Santa Monica , California
Wink Apologies

I have to apologize to everyone. I just figured out that I have to click on the thread to find out if anyone has written back. I'm knew to doing anything on any kind of forum, except for I once walked around one in Rome. I'll check it out based on what was said. We already have the thing up on jacks in the side yard with wheels off and are trying to find replacement springs.
And some of the bolts broke taking I think it was the shocks off. I wish I'd figured out how to read your replies before this. Thanks for the help. -Maya
Maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya
I have to apologize to everyone. I just figured out that I have to click on the thread to find out if anyone has written back. I'm knew to doing anything on any kind of forum, except for I once walked around one in Rome. I'll check it out based on what was said. We already have the thing up on jacks in the side yard with wheels off and are trying to find replacement springs.
And some of the bolts broke taking I think it was the shocks off. I wish I'd figured out how to read your replies before this. Thanks for the help. -Maya
Maya,

If you go to User CP, and look under edit options on the left side, you can change your notification options to receive an email whenever anyone responds to a post you made.

Good luck on your springs, I know that it is tough to take off bolts which have been on for over 40 years. The ones on my Liner have been on for over 50 years. Plenty of something like PB Blaster and heat will work.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote