Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2004, 09:46 AM   #41
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Eric.

Ewald just opened their AS dealership a few months ago, and I to hope that they can be a valuable resource for service and part, etc. They are going to have some kind of grand opening in the spring.

The gentleman who called me seemed very nice, and that they were getting training from AS. I think they said they now have about a dozen units on their lot. Maybe less.

Since they are new, I gave them a piece of my mind (not to big, as I can't afford to give out much more!). First I said that a new/used car salesman attitude does not go far. Nor does lying, as I related some stories from my experiances at other unamed dealers.

I also mentioned that everyone wants the best deal. 15-20% off list and thats that.

We talked for some time, and my lunch got cold. But that's allright. I am keeping my fingers and legs crossed!

Jonathan
Old 11-08-2004, 10:03 AM   #42
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Jonathan,

Thanks for the insight on the dealer. I know that not everyone is like some dealers we've had the exp with. I'm pretty open minded about trying some place new. I'm the first to lay blame (if it's due) and also the first to give a pat on the back if it's good. Hopefully you're right, they will be a great resource.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:54 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Partial update

I contacted A.S. today to confirm who I should call for the repairs. They referred me to the Lithia Springs, GA dealer, Atlanta Auto Broker, which is who I purchased the trailer from. I called them and they told me that they didn't have a technician at this time and that I may have to pull the trailer to AL or SC for service. I questioned this based on my concerns for the bearings. I would not be a happy camper if my wheel broke while driving out of state for repairs.

The guy was nice and said he would call A.S. to see if he could out source the work to some other type of mechanic shop near them, and if A.S. would pay them for the service.

I will post a further update when I hear back. I can't take my trailer out of state and leave it. What a pain that would be! I hope to be able to wait on it wherever it has to go.

Andy
Old 11-08-2004, 10:59 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
My production# is 515857
Old 11-08-2004, 03:06 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Sorry, no additional information.

I just got back from taking trailer to dealer for some work. I asked about the recall notice and the service manager said he heard there was a recall on some trailers but didn't have the information available.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:23 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
2004 Recall Notice

I just spoke with the dealer who handled the axle replacement on my Minuet about the time the new coaches were being produced that are subject to the recall. It seems that the problem is evidently related to the grease that was used on some of the axles - - my dealer's Service Manager said that he was going to pull one of the wheels on my Minuet to check to see whether the grease was the correct (brown) or the problematic (red). If it turns out to be the red, he indicated that repacking the wheel bearings with an examiniation of the races would be required. From the description the Service Manager at my dealer gave me, it sounds like the red grease either in time or with exposure to heat liquifies to the point that it can escape the seals causing problems with the brakes and if not caught the bearings can run dry causing the loss of a wheel.

The Service Manager at my dealer wasn't aware of whether any of the replacement Henschen axles are subject to this action, but since my Minuet was already in the shop for its regular post-season service it is going to be checked-out.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:48 PM   #47

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Got my recall letter today. It states that there are two potential problems, the first being insufficient grease, the second is a lubricant break down that inadequately lubricates the outer bearing.

Symptoms of an impending failure include improper wheel orientation (in comparison to the others), and wheel hub to hot to touch.

They also note that if you are not close to an authorized Airstream dealer to contact them for authorization to have the closest, qualified non-Airstream service facility inspect and repair the trailer.

For those of you with a Hi-Lo dealer close to you, Hi-Lo's use the same axle as Airstreams. They may be an alternative for some if distance is an issue.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:20 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

I also got may recall letter today for my Safari 28 manufactured in March 2004. I had a trip planned for this coming weekend, but it looks like that is out. Better safe than sorry. The closest dealer in Sacramento (90 Miles) let it be known that service was only for customers who purchased there. I will give Toscano's in Los Banos (175 miles) a call tomarrow. They seem like nice people. I have had no need for service yet, so I hope it goes well.
Stuff happens. I have been happy with my trailer so far.
Wilco
wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 11:58 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Angry

We got a recall letter today for our 16 CCD... production number 515810
Old 11-09-2004, 04:30 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Received our recall this week.

Our trailer is at N Dallas RV. One of the major problems we've encountered is the exactly what Randy found on our trailer - "signs of misalignment (i.e., wheel(s) oriented at a angle different from the other wheels...).

This explains the strange wear and vibration we were having on the front curb side. Randy had to perform an alignment on that side, and he had to pack the bearings. He said they showed some signs of being hot.

N Dallas RV is working the details of complying with the recall before we pick up the trailer after having the other long list of warranty work performed.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:05 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
The closest dealer in Sacramento (90 Miles) let it be known that service was only for customers who purchased there. I will give Toscano's in Los Banos (175 miles) a call tomarrow. Wilco
Airstream's warranty states that you only need to return your unit to an authorized dealer for repairs. Why should you be forced to incur the extra expense of taking it to a dealer farther away?

On a separate warranty repair issue, I was told by Airstream management that I had to return my trailer to the factory for repair (a defect that the factory had caused during manufacture), at my own expense, because their dealers are not capable of performing the repair.

Does anybody other than me have a sense of impropriety here?

John
Old 11-09-2004, 05:15 PM   #52
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
On a separate warranty repair issue, I was told by Airstream management that I had to return my trailer to the factory for repair (a defect that the factory had caused during manufacture), at my own expense, because their dealers are not capable of performing the repair.

Does anybody other than me have a sense of impropriety here?

John
Seems to be an industry thing. I had to make two round trips to Tennessee to take my SOB TrailManor back to the factory because they wouldn't ship parts to a qualified installer near home. The trailer was at the factory 3 weeks between trips. At least, Airstream trys to get the work done while you are there and, if feasible, they return the trailer to the RV sites at night so that you can stay in it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:57 PM   #53

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Airstream's warranty states that you only need to return your unit to an authorized dealer for repairs. Why should you be forced to incur the extra expense of taking it to a dealer farther away?

John
In the case of this particular recall, the recall letter states that they will allow you to use someone other than an Airstream dealer by contacting them for authorization to have the closest, qualified non-Airstream service facility inspect and repair the trailer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 11-09-2004, 10:03 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Our trailer was made December 23, 2003. It is in the recalll. We always check the wheels when we stop. We have close to 10,000 miles on it. It looks like we would have already had problems if something is wrong. Anyway, no need to take chances!

I made the appointment today and Dec. 2 is the earliest they can get us in. So we will be camping at Bill Thomas so we can be there at 8:00 for our fix. We hope for good weather.
myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:41 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
In the case of this particular recall, the recall letter states that they will allow you to use someone other than an Airstream dealer by contacting them for authorization to have the closest, qualified non-Airstream service facility inspect and repair the trailer.

Jack
Jack -

That certainly sounds fair and proper for this recall, but I'm not so sure about the dealer in Sacramento refusing service, as Wilco mentioned.

I don't know whether they do or not, but I would expect that Airstream should have included a requirement in their written agreement with dealers that the dealer provide warranty service on all Airstreams regardless of where it was purchased. Otherwise, the warranty is misleading, and won't stand up, IMO, if challenged - the warranty states that customers need only take their trailer to any dealer or authorized service center.

The only justification for Airstream and its dealers to refuse warranty service at any of these authorized service locations, to require customers to take their units to a remote dealership, or to return units to the factory at a customer's expense, is because customers (myself included) do it without hesitation.

John
Old 11-10-2004, 05:58 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Taking the trailer to the factory results in hundreds, if not thousands, in additional expenses to the buyer. We think it is way too hard to take it 200 or so miles to Dallas. That's a day out of work with the lost income.

It's like taking our GMC pickup to Michigan or California for warranty repairs.

Our 2004 has been in the shop for almost 12 weeks out of the first 17 months. That's bad enough. We find that most AS service locations rarely stock parts, and they seem to use ground shipping with several days delay. Imagine if your car sat in the dealer for a week waiting for a door hinge.

Why do AS owners, without hesitation, assume such an additional cost of ownership? Why do AS owners accept long periods at the dealers for service?

Is this a hidden cost of RV ownership?

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:42 AM   #57
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The recall info is now posted as a PDF on Airstream's website under the "Buzz" on the main page.

I've tried to attach the .pdf to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WheelBearingSafetyRecallNotice102204doc.pdf (45.6 KB, 256 views)
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:01 PM   #58

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
Our 2004 has been in the shop for almost 12 weeks out of the first 17 months. That's bad enough. We find that most AS service locations rarely stock parts, and they seem to use ground shipping with several days delay. Imagine if your car sat in the dealer for a week waiting for a door hinge.

Why do AS owners, without hesitation, assume such an additional cost of ownership? Why do AS owners accept long periods at the dealers for service?

Is this a hidden cost of RV ownership?

73/gus
I think we have to understand that an RV dealer is not like an auto dealer and based on the sheer volume of business, the RV dealer cannot carry an inventory stock like an auto dealer can.

I do agree however that it does take way too long to get parts. I've been waiting for a new set of curtains since April of this year. The wrong gender of velcro tabs were originally sewn on and therefore the curtains would not latch closed. Apparently the dealer and Airstream have been in a round robin trying to get the proper curtains sent since they can't seem to ship out the ccorrect curtains that fit the windows on the slide out. At this point according to the dealer, he has given up trying to get the correct curtains and has obtained new velcro tabs. At that point they will send the existing curtains to a local dry cleaner who will remove and replace the tabs. In other issues I waited almost 3 months for a new water pump to come in. That ended up being the dealer's fault for not calling me when it came in, not an slow shipping issue.

Luckly none of our problems have been service affecting so its just been a matter of waiting for the parts to come in, and then getting them installed.
I would agree that those parts which affect the usability of the trailer should get priority shipping. The season for most of us is too short to allow a unit to be out of service 12 weeks.

I wonder how much the fire affected parts delivery this year?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 11-10-2004, 04:46 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
My process has slowed, as I have been leaving messages for the person that I need to make the appointment with. I hope this is only a small set-back, but I still remember how much my trailer cost. They should not leave me hanging for two days.

Maybe Thursday will be my lucky day.

Andy
Old 11-10-2004, 05:35 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Jack -

That certainly sounds fair and proper for this recall, but I'm not so sure about the dealer in Sacramento refusing service, as Wilco mentioned.
John,

I have heard so many disparaging stories about this dealer that I think they are doing a service by not servicecing someone's trailer. I mean this dealer is legendary in bad service.

Toscano RV is the exact opposite so if anyone goes to that dealer in Sacramento, they need their head examined.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote