Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Dearborn heights , Michigan
1987 Airstream Sovereign 31 foot axle inspection

I just purchased a 1987 Airstream Sovereign 31 foot that has been sitting in a Barn for so long the tires have dry rotted real bad.

I had a friend tell me that he thought there were some sort of rubber torsion/suspension items that need to be inspected/replaced before I show up and re-pack bearings, inspect breaks, and put new tires on it and tow it away.

Question! is there some form/type of Rubber part/parts that are key to the suspension of this airstream that may need to be inspected/replaced before towing?
professorbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The torsion axles work using a rubber compression component instead of a spring. They are serviced by replacing the axle assembly. Inspection is a matter if determining whether the suspension still has a reasonable amount of travel. If the trailer is sitting low and the "arm" portion of the axle assembly slopes up from the axle tube to the hub, it's probably shot.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorbol View Post
I just purchased a 1987 Airstream Sovereign 31 foot that has been sitting in a Barn for so long the tires have dry rotted real bad.

I had a friend tell me that he thought there were some sort of rubber torsion/suspension items that need to be inspected/replaced before I show up and re-pack bearings, inspect breaks, and put new tires on it and tow it away.

Question! is there some form/type of Rubber part/parts that are key to the suspension of this airstream that may need to be inspected/replaced before towing?
Torsion axles, have rubber rods in them. They are not replaceable.

There is an article in the Airstream Central part of this Forums, about axles, that will teach you how to check them out very quickly.

If the rubber rods are indeed bad, towing it 100 miles or so, won't be an issue.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote