RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
Any body know what it would cost to do a 67 Caravel axle complete with brakes etc...? Not time, just parts.
Thanks
There are 2 different torsion axles available.

One is a down grade from what was original on your Airstream, and the other is an upgrade.

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
 
1977 21' Globetrotter
Davis , California
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 32
Exclamation Check the alignment

Just a thought to get the alignment checked. My new axle had issues both with toe-in and camber. As a result, tires were worn out in about 1,700 miles. The alignment shop identified these issues, plus a 'dog-tracking' issue caused by the axle being out-of-square to the trailer centerline.
flyflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #23
Rivet Master
 
overlander63's Avatar
 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
They are still there, along with several other axles. I'm pretty sure which ones are yours, even though the tech that did the work is on vacation this week. I can see if I can take a picture of them, possibly next to the "normal" used ones in the dead axle pile.
I forgot I was going to post some visual aids in this thread. Here are a couple of photos of the axles. They are all bent in the same place, in the same manner. The OP's axles are on the bottom of the stack:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	015.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	137402   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	137403  

Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	137404   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	137405  

__________________
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
 
Uzzah's Avatar
 
1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 176
I'm very curious to see what the before and after hight is on this axle replacement. suppose i need to read all the pages of of the big axle thread.
__________________
Did you want fries with that?
Uzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzah View Post
I'm very curious to see what the before and after hight is on this axle replacement. suppose i need to read all the pages of of the big axle thread.
That will depend on who the supplier is and what you may have specified.

Ours usually raises the trailer at least 3 inches.

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
 
SL4BLLT's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 270
On the axles that are on the posting were the ones that were replaced. Andy, is correct with about 3". I'll down load a few pictures of the axles (before and after) that I purchased from Inland and there is a major difference in height.
The major improvement was in the way it handles. In the past, stuff would be all over the coach from the grounding out. I accidentally left two of the upper storage compartments open and forgot to remove the smoke detector on the maiden voyage when we towed it to a comfortable location three weeks ago. Everything, stayed in place to include the smoke detector which normally falls off. This was a 359 mile tow as well.
Read the threads, see the comments.

My comments: I will endorse Inland RV and recommend a complete set of axles as they go on quick and fit the coach by serial number. Zero fabrication required. Well worth the investment.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member
 
1972 21' Globetrotter
Papillion , I'm Everywhere MAn
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
My oh my, was it worth the try?

I decided to go with a Dexter axle for my single axle airstream. I ordered the Dexter because of convenience and price; otherwise, I would have definitely ordered from Inland. I go into the local distributor to order. There are three employees SCREAMING obscenities at each other! I look over at this nice 90 year old gentelman, and he looks at me smiling (apparently oblivious due to lack of hearing aides). All the other employees just mull around like nothing is happening. I ask the clerk, "what's up?" "They are just mad at each other." Really? The cliche reads: I should have just walked away, but . . . Anyways, I told them two or three weeks ago that I needed the 5200# derated to 4000#. He ordered them 5200#. I called and reminded him of our conversation about derating. He said nope, cant't do it. I believed him for two days, and when I had time I perused the forums. BS, like I thought. I called to correct before it was too late. Nope, can't do it. I called Dexter. The gal on the phone argued with me for 5 minutes about derating the axle. Finally when I mentioned that all that is necessary is to shorten the rubber in the axle . . . BINGO! "Sir, what would you like it derated to on your axle? I will call the distributor and make sure we get this fixed for you." I can't wait to show up at the distributor in a week. Maybe I will get verbally assaulted?

Rousseau
Rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rousseau View Post
I decided to go with a Dexter axle for my single axle airstream. I ordered the Dexter because of convenience and price; otherwise, I would have definitely ordered from Inland. I go into the local distributor to order. There are three employees SCREAMING obscenities at each other! I look over at this nice 90 year old gentelman, and he looks at me smiling (apparently oblivious due to lack of hearing aides). All the other employees just mull around like nothing is happening. I ask the clerk, "what's up?" "They are just mad at each other." Really? The cliche reads: I should have just walked away, but . . . Anyways, I told them two or three weeks ago that I needed the 5200# derated to 4000#. He ordered them 5200#. I called and reminded him of our conversation about derating. He said nope, cant't do it. I believed him for two days, and when I had time I perused the forums. BS, like I thought. I called to correct before it was too late. Nope, can't do it. I called Dexter. The gal on the phone argued with me for 5 minutes about derating the axle. Finally when I mentioned that all that is necessary is to shorten the rubber in the axle . . . BINGO! "Sir, what would you like it derated to on your axle? I will call the distributor and make sure we get this fixed for you." I can't wait to show up at the distributor in a week. Maybe I will get verbally assaulted?

Rousseau
Replacement axles can be ordered by answering 2 questions.

1. What is the trailer serial number?

2. What payload do you typically add to the trailer weight?

Life, can be easy.

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member
 
SL4BLLT's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 270
Great customer service!!!

Rousseau,

sounds like they at least had your attention. Good luck, with the "rest of the story" as it could become interesting.

I've attached a few of the before and after shots of the original axles with the complete replacement axles that I received from Inland. These took about 4 hours to install and as I mentioned previously, I almost just ordered the axles w/out hubs and I'm glad i didn't. The old hubs were basically welded to the axles from the 40 years of use and it would of cost a fortune in comparison had i had to purchased brakes, well bearings individually.

Thanks for the advise Andy, when i ordered them.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0283.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	138808

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0300.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	138809

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0284.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	138810

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0309.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	138811
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member
 
SL4BLLT's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 270
I meant to say wheel bearings, and all of the other nuts and bolts that would have needed to be replaced.

On another note, you can see in the windows how the new drapes that we replaced this summer , from JPA Drapes make the Airstream look newer (from my perspective). Other folks have commented on them over the summer. So as you update your coach, be prepared to share your Airstream story.

Happy Airstreaming to all, and for all of those that are in Irene's path, I'm glad we have Plan "B", that begins with an "A".

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member
 
1972 21' Globetrotter
Papillion , I'm Everywhere MAn
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Got em On

I placed the axle on my globetrotter. Despite prior complaint of Dexter distributor, they measured precisely. It fit real snug. I used 1 titanium drill bit for the 4 new holes. Make sure you use a medium speed and plenty of oil to avoid overheating the bit. I talked to an engineer at Dexter who said shocks would not be necessary with their axles. Also of interest, he said that derating the axles down is not necessary for a smoother ride. I don't know about that, but I only derated a bit for a lot of gear. It is empty, and it is smooth. I filled a glass of water and drove around the neighborhood without a drop spilled (no sharp turns). The axle came with lug nuts, but there were not any mounting bolts supplied. Make sure you get some grade 5 1/2" nuts/bolts/washers. I did this myself with two floor jacks, 4 jack stands, hammer drill, air gun, crawler, leveler, tape measure, and a few brews. Also, the 11 axle fits tight and no mods needed. I had a grinder with a steel cutter disc, but didn't need it. I am not mechanically inclined, nor do I have experience. If you take your time and think it through, then it is doable. Be safe.
Rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rousseau View Post
I placed the axle on my globetrotter. Despite prior complaint of Dexter distributor, they measured precisely. It fit real snug. I used 1 titanium drill bit for the 4 new holes. Make sure you use a medium speed and plenty of oil to avoid overheating the bit. I talked to an engineer at Dexter who said shocks would not be necessary with their axles. Also of interest, he said that derating the axles down is not necessary for a smoother ride. I don't know about that, but I only derated a bit for a lot of gear. It is empty, and it is smooth. I filled a glass of water and drove around the neighborhood without a drop spilled (no sharp turns). The axle came with lug nuts, but there were not any mounting bolts supplied. Make sure you get some grade 5 1/2" nuts/bolts/washers. I did this myself with two floor jacks, 4 jack stands, hammer drill, air gun, crawler, leveler, tape measure, and a few brews. Also, the 11 axle fits tight and no mods needed. I had a grinder with a steel cutter disc, but didn't need it. I am not mechanically inclined, nor do I have experience. If you take your time and think it through, then it is doable. Be safe.

Some axle manufacturers and Airstream recommend grade "8" bolts and hardware for the axles.

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member
 
1972 21' Globetrotter
Papillion , I'm Everywhere MAn
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
Thanks. I will probably replace the bolts.
Rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member
 
SL4BLLT's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 270
Rousseau,
congrats. I'm glad things worked out. I guess you have already looked at these axles with/as a "full glass"? Happy Airstreaming.

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #35
Rivet Master
 
worldinchaos's Avatar
 
1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL4BLLT View Post
Rousseau,
congrats. I'm glad things worked out. I guess you have already looked at these axles with/as a "full glass"? Happy Airstreaming.

SL4BLLT
Well if some drops had in fact spilled I'm pretty sure his glass would have been "half empty"
__________________
- Peter (and Marie)
TAC CA-15

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member
 
SL4BLLT's Avatar
 
1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 270
worldinchaos,
good to see he at least has something remaining in his glass. Safe travels.
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sovereign


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1972 31' Sovereign frame drawings Darkspeed Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 19 07-17-2020 09:49 AM
'74 Sovereign axle question stickandtin Axles 6 12-18-2013 07:56 PM
1972 Airstream 31 ft. Land Yacht Sovereign Camper eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-18-2011 05:11 AM
1972 Airstream 31 ft. Land Yacht Sovereign Camper eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-03-2011 07:20 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.