Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
I emailed the Monroe folks and asked if the Monroe Gas-Magnum (Matic) 55503 shocks would work correctly in my installation application (horizontal install) and here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting Tenneco Automotive.

The 555003 shocks are designed to be mounted vertically. They will not operate in the horizontal position.

Thank you for your interest in our products.

For further questions or assistance, please contact technical assistance at 734-384-7809 M - F 8:30am - 5:30pm EST.

Monroe Team Member,

Andy"

So, I'll order a set of Airstream shocks this winter and replace the Monroe 55503's with Airstream shocks before our first trip in the Spring.

Thanks go to Andy and Action for pointing me to the correct shock for my axle install. I appreciate the information and assist!
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
The horizontal shocks are designed differently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post
Thanks for the info Andy. What's the difference between a horizontal shock and a vertical shock (other than the position they are installed on the AS)? Are they made differently?
David:

Can't tell you exactly what's different in their design, but the AS horizontal shock is definitely different in design than "vertically mounted" shocks... Get the Black Airstream Horizontal Shocks for your running gear - not too expensive, usually on the north side of $29USD.

My $0.02

Cheers!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Thanks for the info MaxAB. I have 4 black airstream shocks in the garage that will be installed in the next couple of weeks.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Airstream (Gabriel) shocks installed.

I replaced the Monroe shocks with Airstream (Gabriel) shocks last weekend. Very easy job - lift up one side of the Airstream by using a floor jack, remove the wheels, loosen and remove the nuts on the shock attachment bolts. The only issue is that the bolts supplied with the Airstream shocks aren't long enough to align the shocks when using the axis axles I installed last fall.

So, to recap I originally installed Monroe shocks that aren't horizontal shocks. I ordered 4 Airstream (Gabriel) shocks from Out Doors Mart and received shock bolts and nuts with the shocks.

The Gabriel shock bolts are about 1" shorter than the bolts supplied with the Monroe shocks. I initially installed the street side shocks with the Gabriel shock mount bolts, but was dis-satisfied with the alignment as shown here:

So, I used the Monroe shock bolts with the Gabriel shocks to achieve better alignment with the shock bracket and the trailer frame. I ended up using the Monroe spacer, 2 locking washers and 2 flat washers on the shock bolt.

I'll report back if there are any issues with the way I installed the shocks. It's not the prettiest install, but it seems to work.

After I installed the shocks I towed Moe around our area for an hour to test out the brakes and such. I was really pleased with how much of a difference the new axles, brakes and shocks made in how well the trailer towed. I'm very satisfied with the axles , brakes and shocks. The 4Runner pulled them very well. We'll take Moe out a few times this summer if it cools down, but the first long trip with the new setup will be in September to the Walnut Valley Music Festival in Kansas.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Well, this is a concern. I just installed my new Axis Axles from Colin on Tuesday, and he said to use the Monroe 55503's. I couldn't find them locally so I ordered them online. They will be here by Friday. Not sure what to do now. I was hoping to have this all done by the weekend.

The axles went in to place in about 4-5 hours doing it by myself. Lots of back and forth, back and forth getting them in to place. An extra set of hands would have cut the time in half. Everything aligned perfectly. No drilling or shaving the mounting holes.... just the shock of the shock issue now.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakinup View Post
Well, this is a concern. I just installed my new Axis Axles from Colin on Tuesday, and he said to use the Monroe 55503's. I couldn't find them locally so I ordered them online. They will be here by Friday. Not sure what to do now. I was hoping to have this all done by the weekend.

The axles went in to place in about 4-5 hours doing it by myself. Lots of back and forth, back and forth getting them in to place. An extra set of hands would have cut the time in half. Everything aligned perfectly. No drilling or shaving the mounting holes.... just the shock of the shock issue now.
Unless I am mistaken, Airstream is the only company that uses horizontal shocks, which were originally made by Delco and now made by Gabriel.

To my knowledge, no one else make a horizontal shock that will work on Airstream trailer starting with the 1969 models and up to current models.

If I am mistaken, I sincerely and humbly apologize to any and all that I may have offended by making this statement.

To install vertical shocks, when the trailer design called for horizontals, is a waste of time and money, since they will serve no useful purpose other than draining ones pocket book to some degree.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
It's time for an update on the axles on my Safari...

Last summer I wanted to change the tires to Michelin LTX M/S2 LT 235/75R/15's. I'm not sure what's on there now other than they are 15's. The good folks at Discount Tire jacked up one side of the AS then pulled off the tires and mounted the new Michelin's on my rims. We mounted one tire on the AS and found it was wider than the current tires. The Michelin tire butted up against the nut on the shock mount bracket bolt, so they mounted the original tires back on the AS and I went on my way. It didn't occur to me at the time (September 2013) to remove the nut and bolt from the shock mount as I had planned to leave the following day for a 2000 mile trip. I knew that I'd have to deal with it again when I changed tires. So, I guess now's the time to deal with it as I want new tires on it before the trip to Kansas in September.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I had problems with the clearance between the original tires and the shock mount bracket bolt/nut. At the time I didn't realize the sock mount bracket on the new axles are positioned in a different location than the original axles. This also explains the mis-alignment of the shock bolt on the frame to the shock bracket on the axles.

After comparing photos of the original axles and the new axles I see the issue - the shock mount bracket is probably 2-3 inches closer to the tire than the original bracket.

The current options seem to be:
1) not use shocks (not sure that will buy me enough clearance for the new tires). I'd prefer to use shocks.
2) reduce the length of the shock bracket to the point that they don't interfere with the wider Michelin tires.
3) cut the current shock bracket off and weld it on the axles in the same position as the original bracket.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Old 06-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #28
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
David,
You should consult with your axle vendor on this.
I've had this problem a few times and it can be fixed.
You have a few options-
Since you prefer to use shocks, I think you should cut the shock brackets off the torsion arm and weld them back on in the inboard side of the torsion arm. This may require removing the axles. Another option would be to bend the shock bracket inboard enough to give you clearance. Also make sure you have the bolt head facing the tire.
Another option is to use a similar tire to the original 7.00x15LT such as the Yokohama RY 215.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Top - Thanks for the reply. I'm going to do as you suggest. Any issues with not using the shocks?
Old 07-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #30
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I installed new Airstream (Gabriel) shocks on my Ambassador when I installed the new axles in 2011. I did not put shocks on when I replaced the axles in 2013. I can't see or notice any difference. It is your call. I do install shocks on customer trailers. I just left them off mine to see for myself if there was any difference.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I installed new Airstream (Gabriel) shocks on my Ambassador when I installed the new axles in 2011. I did not put shocks on when I replaced the axles in 2013. I can't see or notice any difference. It is your call. I do install shocks on customer trailers. I just left them off mine to see for myself if there was any difference.
During my last visit to Airstream, I talked with a couple of their engineers.

They say shocks do indeed soften the ride.

But as always, they said, any owner of an Airstream can do anything they wish with their trailer, including taking shocks off, except when in warranty.

Andy
Old 07-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I've enjoyed your thread. When I spoke to Colin about axles he indicated there were low profile and high profile axles, and that low profile axles require drilling. I take it yours are the low profile version? I'm also curious what you worked out with your shocks and the size tires you are running.

Do no manufacturers make an axle and shock combo that will fit out of the box?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
I've enjoyed your thread. When I spoke to Colin about axles he indicated there were low profile and high profile axles, and that low profile axles require drilling. I take it yours are the low profile version? I'm also curious what you worked out with your shocks and the size tires you are running.

Do no manufacturers make an axle and shock combo that will fit out of the box?

Not really, since you are replacing one manufactured by a different company.

Andy
Old 07-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
If one doesn't have a welder, then what's recommended to fix the issue with the shock mounts being in the wrong place? That is, of course, besides not using shocks at all...

KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYAirstream View Post
If one doesn't have a welder, then what's recommended to fix the issue with the shock mounts being in the wrong place? That is, of course, besides not using shocks at all...

I personally would hitch up the trailer and take it to a welder at some point in time.

Or, leave the shocks off.

Why are the brackets in the wrong place? How about a photo?

Andy
Old 07-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Thanks. I plan to cut off the shock brackets and have them welded in a different location. I'll post photos of the current setup the next time I have one of the wheels off.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
I have an update on my issue with the position of the shock brackets. After not finding a local welder that wanted to cut the brackets off and re-weld them I took a chance and used an age-old remedy. It's called a 4 pound sledge hammer. I was able to bend the shock brackets back about 2 inches. This enabled me to install centramatic balancers, new S20T Sendel rims and Michelin 235-75R-15 M/S 2 tires. New tires. New rims. New balancers and the shocks are still attached doing their thing. Hot dawg. I'll post photos later.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:52 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
David,
Your thorough discussion of axle replacement is quite helpful to those of us soon facing the same. Thanks also to Andy R. and others who contributed.
Jim
JRF0st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Near Dallas , Texas
Agreed!! Here in Fort Worth, TX I have brazenly acquired at 60s Land Yacht ...year TBD, & the amt of rusty guck that is in the center of the wheel (I'm assuming is the axle) is pretty gnarly looking. I'm a noob & am so ready to get dirty but unsure whede to begin, so I think running gear is probabaly a good place. Thank you for this forum! Everyone seems so nice here, & with the rye sense of humor that fits me to a "T".

I say, "Whatever it takes."
sherryzeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:34 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Looking forward to photos, I'm getting ready to replace mine, very interested in the shock mount position issue. I wonder if it's possible to tell the mfg where to put them when ordering.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote