Old 04-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Austin , TX
Fisher and Paykel Installation for 2015 Classic 30

Hi, everyone. I did not see a definitive answer in my search, so my apologies if this is redundant and I just didn't see it. I'm full-timing in my Classic 30' and cook all of my meals. I'm also extremely busy with work and life obligations and while I don't mind doing the work of hand-washing, sanitizing and drying all of my dishes, I'm finding that's its really starting to eat into my time I need for all I have on my plate, so I'm looking to install a dishwasher drawer in my AS

I'm leaning towards a Fisher and Paykel dishwasher drawer in lieu of my microwave/convection/grill combo that I never use. Does anyone know what the best way to go about installing it would be? I've spoken with Best Buy and when the lockdown restrictions ease, they say that they can come install it, but I don't think they know what they'd be getting into once they get out here.

My main question is how do I install it in this space? Do you think that best buy could handle something like this for the installation if the specs match? What things should I ask them/be aware of for such a venture?

I've attached a picture to show where it would go (the Cuisinart Microwave on the left), and I have no idea how it went from being straight before I posted, to sideways, but hopefully you get the idea.

Thanks!

Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0588.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	366811  
Binsgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
BAB here on the forum put one in his Classic 30 several years ago. Maybe he will see your post. He mounted his where you have your knife rack taking up space in the closet. Seemed to work well for him.

I had one in my Newmar motorhome that I previously owned. It worked fine but only used it a couple of times. It doesn't have much space and takes a couple of hours to run a full cycle.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Bingrief,
Great choice of diswashers. We have a double stack at home. A single drawer in our Bus. No, to Best Buy installing it. Try contacting a local cabinet maker. We dont find the machine cycle a problem. Definitely uses less water than hand washing the dishes.
62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,90 SQ Sream, 06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Austin , TX
Thank you, Gary! Your input is helpful. Hopefully BAB reaches out about it. Thanks, again!
Old 04-29-2020, 11:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Austin , TX
Thank you, JIM n CHRIS. I appreciate that feedback. I'll check out a local cabinet maker to help with the install.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I agree that Best Buy is probably not to be trusted.

I also agree that a cabinet maker would be a better bet.

What I suggest is that you contact other Fisher and Paykel retailers to find out who they use to install. We bought a Bosch home dishwasher from a retailer that contracted with a remodeling and construction company to install it. This was the best of both worlds: expertise with the dishwasher hardware installation and how to properly address installation issues that might arise. You might get lucky.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Just thought I would let you know the FP dishwashers are used in some fifth wheels and they have not had a issue with road shock. I wa so impressed with them we actually have two of them mounted under the counter in our house side by side.

One neat thing is they have a hose off the back for venting the moisture which you could run through the floor of the Airstream and send it outside. I would not have best buy do the install unless they have a very talented installer who is used to the unusual. A would echo the comment above, a cabinet maker at an RV store etc would be the best route.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The "how do you vent the moisture" part of it is key to the install. Down through the floor is one option. Do you just go through the floor or the belly pan as well? If just the floor then you don't get road water backing up through the hole (at least not very fast). You do dump the moisture on the bottom side of all the floor boards .....

Another option would be a "furnace vent" out through the side of the trailer. That is very much *not* a Best Buy task ....

I think I'd dig up one of the people who routinely works on Airstreams and let them do the work. It's quickly going to get very specific to the quirks of these trailers.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Question? If you put a dish washer in the AS do you scrap left over food in the trash and pre-rince prior to putting dishes in the washer? If not then grease, decaying food, wind up in the gray tank or residual of it even if the grey tank valve is open. If you do the above a dishwasher isn't going to save much time.
Don't know how many people are in your AS full time but for my wife and I a dishwasher is not something I would want. Just food for thought.
25' FC for 5 years now 30' Classic 8 months.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Bingrief,

Great choice of dishwashers. We have a double stack at home. A single drawer in our Bus. No, to Best Buy installing it. Try contacting a local cabinet maker. We dont find the machine cycle a problem. Definitely uses less water than hand washing the dishes.

I have a 2 drawer in my kitchen. Fabulous. it only uses 2 gallons of water, and although it takes about 2 hours, it is almost silent. Sometimes I detect a slight noise and when I investigate, it is the dishwasher about 5 feet away and it has been running for over an hour. Gets dishes clean too.

I have no idea if best buy has the talent to install it in an RV. You ought to talk to their installer and gauge for yourself his probably ability
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
I don't know where you are, but Ultimate Airstreams does this kind of work. They are in Oregon.
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleverett View Post
Question? If you put a dish washer in the AS do you scrap left over food in the trash and pre-rince prior to putting dishes in the washer? If not then grease, decaying food, wind up in the gray tank or residual of it even if the grey tank valve is open. If you do the above a dishwasher isn't going to save much time.
Don't know how many people are in your AS full time but for my wife and I a dishwasher is not something I would want. Just food for thought.
25' FC for 5 years now 30' Classic 8 months.
Scraping is the only thing that would help that.

Pre-rince in the sink would put the grease and decaying food in the gray tank anyway wouldn't it?
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Hershey , Pennsylvania
I put a FP dish drawer in our 25' Excella RBT. It replaced the Magic chef range that was original equipment. The dish drawer was slightly wider than the range so I had to do some surgery on the cabinet which was not a big deal because I was modifying the cabinet anyway. This is not a job for an appliance installer from the store. It needs to be carefully planned out and executed. The smallest of details can result in big problems if not thought through and planned for. Somebody like a cabinet maker is a good idea to insure that you get the results you expect. We love the dish washer and generally run it every day that we are dining in the trailer. We find that the quick wash cycle does a very nice job and only takes about an hour. It runs quiet enough that we can watch TV without a problem while it's running.
I did not have any venting issues at all. Be sure you protect it from freezing if you store your trailer in cold temps. The dishwasher has a small sump that the impeller sits in right in the bottom of the drawer under the screen. A little bit of water remains in that sump after use and will freeze and damage the impeller.
Good luck with your project. You will enjoy having it.
Ed
89Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I have had a couple of sets in our home and love them.

For any using these dishwashers....

Last time we had a set installed, I asked the appliance installer the best way to take care of the dishwasher. He said a couple of things that I have found useful and wanted to pass on.

1).These dishwashers don't chop up food or scraps. The dishes need to be wiped down before loading. Also, clean the filters inside that will capture any residue left every few months depending on use. The filters are very easy to access.

2). Don't use too much dishwasher detergent. The dishwasher comes with a couple of the Finish tablets. He said to break these at least in half. Those tabs are meant for full size dishwasher and are too much detergent per load. He said most of the service calls he gets are from detergent buildup on these dishwashers.

FYI, you can get two depths of drawers. Depending on how you cook and what you want to wash in the dishwasher should be considered if the have the room to look at the options. Maybe take your biggest dish with you while shopping.

We really love our dishwashers. I would definitely consider getting one installed if we spent significant time traveling and had hookups, as I cook 95% of our meals. They are also real back savers if one has a bad back.

Best of Luck and I am looking forward to future posts should you decide to go forward.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:30 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Austin , TX
Thank you, this is helpful. I'll reach out to F and P about that
Old 04-30-2020, 10:31 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Austin , TX
Thank you, Andy. That is helpful as well. This is helping me put together some pieces of the puzzle
Old 04-30-2020, 10:47 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Austin , TX
That's great advice. I would imagine the local Airstream dealership would have someone who could help with this. That's a problem I might've overlooked. Thanks
Old 04-30-2020, 10:55 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Austin , TX
I would rinse and scrape everything off first. The dishwasher would be for sanitizing. The extra "storage" of dishes instead of keeping a set on the drying rack on the countertop would be a nice side benefit.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:56 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Austin , TX
Thanks. I'm in Central Texas, but I'm going to reach out to the local Airstream dealership here to see if they have anyone to help.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:00 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Austin , TX
This is really helpful, Ed. It reinforces the advice I've already been given and gives me more info to help as well. I was wondering about the noise. I knew someone with an FP dishwasher in their home, but I never knew how it did noise-wise. I'll definitely be reaching out to a cabinet maker and some local Airstream folks to mitigate some of these potential pitfalls. I'm living full time in the AS and am located in Central Texas. After living in the heart of the midwest, I can't even call Texas winters winter at all, so between that and having the AS temperature controlled year 'round, I should be good on water collecting in the sump and freezing.