Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I thought most units had a recirculation ability?
Mine has a lever on the control panel...I think it is up for outside air mix, and down for recirculate. We usually leave it down to force humidity out of the air and not bring in outside air.
I just know on the inside filters on the bottom of the unit, you can feel much more draw on them with the lever in the down position. And, the sound is different. Sort of like the difference in regular and max/recirculate in a car...you can tell when you have it on recirculate.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I'm in the deep south and have the same problem. The AC is way oversized for the trailer and does not run long enough to pull moisture from the air. I'm also looking at getting a dehumidifier to help kept the trailer dry. Outside it's 80% relative humidity right now.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Upton , Massachusetts
We looked at the smaller dehumidifier and ended up getting a 25 pint dehumidifier at Wal-Mart. This was one of the best investments that we made. We have the same problem with humidity. It is a little loud so we either run it when we are out or put it in the bathroom. It will fill up in a day. And we have cool comfortable nights
Mike
Triple M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Well, I got an LG dehumidifier and it's really dried out the inside of the trailer. The only problem is the size of this thing. It's very quite and works well but the only place to put it is in the bathroom. I'm not sure if I want to travel with this beast. I'll have to see the next time we go out.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
You just answered your own question. If your airconditioner is too big it will cool the trailer too fast and not run long enough to remove the humidity. To work effectively as a dehumidifier the compressor should run continuously, since that is when it removes moisture from the air.
Obviously the right sized unit is a compromise since you want enough capacity for the hottest days of the year.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Oops!
Just read page two and see others have made the same remarks.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Sometimes we have damp mornings, and you can feel it in the air...it's not un healthy I figure but still don't want moisture collecting on the interior. Sooooo, we have a small (the smallest there is...) ceramic box heater...and it can be a booger bear in the winter cause it does 'cook' the moisture out of the air, and everybody starts to itch (ha!) But on wet mornings we will use it to cook the water hoovering in the air. And for an Airstream interior- it does not take long at all.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Our A/S is stored under a covered porch which is great for keeping direct sun off it but it does create an environment inside that encourages mold growth--especially here in humid, coastal SC. I keep a regular sized dehumidifier running on medium speed all the time when it is stored (it sits on the kitchen counter and drains the condensate into the sink, grey tank and then out into the yard harmlessly). This helps a great deal--no musty smell, cabinets doors don't stick, etc. This may be a helpful solution to start out your trip with most of the humidity removed from the trailer before you leave home base--the AC won't be struggling to catch up and pull the moisture out during your stay in it. It does take time to get moisture out but once you get there it can be maintained pretty well even if your unit is slightly oversized.
Something else that may not have been specifically mentioned is to run the AC on the lowest fan speed available. This will allow the compressor to run longer during each cooling cycle and allow more moisture to be removed over time. I don't know if your unit has only one fan speed option but there may be some way to adjust the fan speed internally.