Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Dehumidifiers & Ozone Generators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
To Dry or Not to Dry...that is the question

We're considering getting the Air Dryr 1000 for our new 27' Flying Cloud. We enjoy winter time camping in California (not snow conditions). During the cold camping, we have significant more condensation in the trailer. What do you seasoned 'streamers have to say about the Air Dryr? Would you also recommend using it while in storage during the cold weather in SF Bay Area locale? Thanks ahead for your advice!
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:34 AM   #2
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
4-

We have a Davis Air Dyer 500 in our Pete, a '14 27fb just like yours. It works very well while our coach is parked in our pole barn between trips in Central Florida. It just raises the interior temperature enough above dew point to keep our coach dry and "un-musty" in our humid climate. I also try to open every cabinet door and drawer while Pete is stored, which helps steady the interior temp, especially in winter here. We'll get near freezing for a few days, like this past weekend, then upper 70s a few days later, which can really cause the interior of the coach to "sweat" with big temp swings. The Davis all but cures that.

I like the Davis as it's just a low wattage space heater really, designed for boat cabins. It has no moving parts and no water to drain out. Of course, you need 120v power when your coach is parked for it to work. I've not tried it while camping, as we humans produce a lot of moisture from breathing, cooking, showering, etc. while in our units........ We try to use the heatpump for cold weather camping as much as we can if we're at a campground (seems to put out dryer air), leaving the mushroom vents open and Ffans open about an inch, and using the exhaust fans whenever cooking or showering. We rarely have condensation problems this way. It certainly couldn't hurt to run the Davis while camping.......

Hope this helps.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:51 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
De-humidifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4riveteers View Post
... the Air Dryr 1000 ... we have significant more condensation in the trailer. ...Would you also recommend using it while in storage during the cold weather in SF Bay Area locale?
The Air Dryr doesn't remove humidity, it just raises the temperature of the air allowing it to retain more moisture (higher relative humidity). This would be OK in a trailer that is in storage with access to electricity as it would help to prevent dampness in your mattress etc. However, you may want to purchase a small dehumidifier such as the Eva-Dry that takes the moisture out of the air for when you are in the trailer.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Please forgive me if this is too lowbrow.

We crack the kitchen window just a tiny bit when we camp in cool weather, and the humidity problem ceases to exist. It's remarkable how little it has to be open to clear the windows.

Condensation when the trailer is in storage is rarely a problem. You might have an extreme drop in outside temperature that could create some fogging, but that's pretty rare.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post

We crack the kitchen window just a tiny bit when we camp in cool weather, and the humidity problem ceases to exist. It's remarkable how little it has to be open to clear the windows.

Condensation when the trailer is in storage is rarely a problem. You might have an extreme drop in outside temperature that could create some fogging, but that's pretty rare.

This. The old ways are best. Winter air is super dry!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post

We keep a window cracked open virtually all the time, doesn't matter the temp or humidity, whether parked at home or camping. Better fresh air flow.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
I get the same weather you do, 4Riv....heavy downpour right now. I leave the roof vent slight open all the time, which pretty much eliminates the problem of excess interior moisture. However, I might close it if I learn rain storms with high winds are headed my way. A small electric heater with the thermostat set just above freezing helps, too...prevents frozen water pipes when temp drops at night, but also helps prevent condensation.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Something you should know

Regarding Fantastic fan vents:

I was @ Little Bighorn battle site & had left vent partially open for ventilation. A stiff wind flipped the vent wide open & broke the lifting mechanism.

Later in the trip, I was @ FMCA rally in MN. A FF factory rep repaired my fan - quickly & no charge ! He said the lifting mechanism will withstand any wind speed when fully open or fully closed. When only part way open, the lifting mechanism is easily broken. He says thousands are broken each year.

You may want to only partly open the FF vent in very light wind conditions. If the wind increases while you are away, the vent may be broken.

Let's Roll !
Wolf. 🐾
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
That must have been one helluva wind at Little Big Horn, Wolf! I've traveled thousands of miles at 50-60 mph with the vent partially open and never had a problem. The lifting mechanism and fan motor both work just fine. The vent cap is not open higher than the opening flange. If I get more than a 60 mph wind at my home (where I store the trailer) I'm going to have a lot more serious problems than a broken vent cap.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Wind has its effect.

Yah, it was windy all day, probably always is out there. And there were gusts.

Most likely, wind direction may have an important effect. I think the gust hit the vent cap such that it acted to "open" the vent. The cap acted like a sail & it jerked open, snapping the worm gear drive mechanism. This could happen to any RV with the vent open & no owner present. When I got back the vent cap was fully open & jammed in that position.

I hope that if the vent cap is just barely open, everything would be OK. The company rep stated the lifting mechanism may break except in the fully open or closed position. I wanted to pass that info along & my field experience.

If one is in the RV, the cap might start making noise due to the gusts & then the RVer could close the
vent.

Let's Roll !
Wolf. 🐾
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Is your vent hinged on one side, Wolf, then opens at an angle; or is it like mine where the cap lifts straight up all around by a cleverly arranged lever mechanism? In either event I can visualize how a particularly strong wind gust could damage the vent. Maybe I should count myself lucky that I haven't had a problem so far, and at least begin closing the vent while traveling! Thanks for tip!
Old 11-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Poulsbo , Washington
Winter storage prep - dehumidify

We store our 21' trailer in a cold, humid valley. After we winterize, I lift a portable 110v home 30-pint dehumidifier into the trailer set to 35 percent humidity, dump the water bucket daily, and let it run for four days. The first day I pull 2 quarts of water out of the air. Then, day after day, the mattress gives up its moisture. On the last day I may only get enough to fill a short water glass. Then the trailer goes into storage. And come spring, my mattress is fresh with no "old mattress" smell
HappyNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We store in a garage. The fan vent gets left open all winter. No problems ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote