Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2003, 08:16 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Ozone Generator

Anyone had experience with Ozone Generator for mildew and rodent control?

Thanks for your input,
Old 09-02-2003, 09:21 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Try this discussion near the bottom. http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=ozone
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:16 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lido&linda 85/345
I saw a demo for " Living Air " Air purifier, its a small box size of a bookshelf speaker.It can clean the air of a 2,000 sqft hause. I understand it works by generating ozone.Check it out its in the internet.
lido&linda 85/345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Be wary of air purifiers that tout "ion generators". The problem with these is they charge the dirt particles in the air, and then the dirt particles stick to the ceiling and walls. They also stick to the air purifier itself.

I love my ozone generator. Best $450 I spent. It is running now in a musty smelling 32X32 outbuilding, in the continuous mode.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
They work Great!

Hello,
We own several Ecoquest air purifiers and they work great! We have one in the car,the home, and in our camper. They will eliminate any odor, mold, musty smells,etc. They also have a sanitize setting that works well. We have been using these for years now and would not be without one!
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
ozone and rubber don't get along...

that part is true. I'm seeing accelerated aging (cracking of sidewalls) on a vehicle stored in a garage with an air purifier. I'm not totally convinced this is the cause but keep meaning to investigate.
Marc
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Quote:
Originally Posted by B25guy
that part is true. I'm seeing accelerated aging (cracking of sidewalls) on a vehicle stored in a garage with an air purifier. I'm not totally convinced this is the cause but keep meaning to investigate.
Marc
Marc, you have a great Avatar!! Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I have been in a room with an Ozon Generator (book shlef type) My sinuses go crazy and my throat gets dry ans scratchy
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
Smile Ozone Generator

We had one in the bathroom of our boat and it worked great at getting rid of odors. We sold the boat and kept the ozone generator. I've rewired it for a cigarette lighter plug and now use it as needed in the Airstream. It gets rid of the musty odors when the rig is closed up for a period of time.
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
I would not use it for extended periods of time - meaning leave it on constantly for days or weeks. Ozone can damage plastics.

My parents had a small one going in their den near the TV. When that TV died, I put it on a dolly and when I went out the front door with it the case broke into pieces and the whole thing crumbled. The plastic had turned extremely brittle.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Exclamation

Ozone generators are GREAT for intractible odor cases. For this use, you'll need to spend pretty big bucks for an industrial strength one.

Ozone is VERY reactive, it will accelerate aging in plastic, fade some fabric, that kind of thing. You want to use it for a few days as a "shock treatment" not a constant always-on device. For that, use a HEPA filter with or without negative ion generation.

DANGER! Ozone is dangerous to living things! A mechanic I know was running one in a boat he was working on, and he ignored the warnings. He almost died, literally. For months afterward, he was having lung problems, and coughing up dead, sloughed bronchial tubes! DON'T use it in an occupied space, and air out your trailer (or whatever) before going inside!

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
I have heard ozone generators remove the oxygen from the rooms that they are in, Be very careful!
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
I have a small commercial ozone generator, but not the smallest, that I use to eliminate smoke and other odors when restoring fire damaged houses and have used it in my airstream. They way I understand it, ozone can affect different people in different ways. Some are allergic to ozone. I have researched this some and learned that using a very low setting (mine has a variable range setting) it can run inside without an adverse affect. If set too high, it can cause breathing problems or worse.

I would say research it before using one to understand how and why it works, and how the particular one you purchase can be used in confined quarters. It is true as posted above, that a shock treatment is normally the best if trying to get rid of an odor that does not continuously re-occur. When I have to stay in a motel and perfumed deoderizor has been used, I will turn it up mid way and leave for dinner to give it enough time to kill the odor. Then I usually open the window and turn on the a/c to air out the room.
rhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
The word allergy implies a particular medical condition including an immune response. A better description of the effect of ozone is that it acts as a chemical irritant. It can cause irritation to all of the mucous membranes including mouth, throat, lungs, eyes and sinuses. The Sharper Image air purifier models have been described as the most expensive ozone generators ever. Clean and dry works a lot better for me but things are not always perfect
Old 11-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
We picked up 2 "Sharper Image" models at Bed, Bath & Beyond about a year ago. They were about 2-3 year old models that were being clearanced, but do the same thing as the newer ones.

They are great dust collectors. We use them around the house. If I face the unit, it clears my sinuses instantly. But that is just a one-time thing. Our daughter claims some irritation when we had it in her bedroom. Ozone is not a good thing in any concentration. (Think acid.)

But these units have their place.

Dwight
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #16
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ozone is considered a pollutant in the atmosphere. It can aggravate allergies or other breathing disorders and I would think it can cause breathing problems over a longer period of time, but you wouldn't notice it at first. Ozone is good for antibacterial uses in certain places such as hot tubs, but I wouldn't use it in such a confined space.

I don't know what is in those plug in room deodorizers, but i have read it's not good for living things either. When in a motel where there is one plugged in, I unplug it.

I'm not happy with the chemical smells in the trailer when it's been closed up for a while. It may be formaldehyde. Periodically we air it out with one of the fans running. When we use the trailer, we air it out frequently, if only to reduce moisture, food odors, formaldehyde, etc. Haven't seen any rodents, but a mousetrap is not dangerous to humans (usually).

Those air cleaners sold by Sharper Image were rated as useless by Consumer Reports. Sharper Image sued CR. I don't know if that suit was ever resolved, by CR is still alive, Sharper Image is gone.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Thumbs up Ozone Gens worked for me

See "ALUMIN8" post on previous page.
Ozone is a strong irritant to those of us with bad lungs or other allergies. Be carefull when using.
That said, here is how I used an Ozone Generator.......

The PO of my 34' AS was a VERY HEAVY SMOKER and had 2 little dogs that never went outside.. There was about 1/16" tar & nicotine on everything. A fingernail scraped down the wall left a grove.
After removing all fabric, cabinet doors & hardware, carpet and anything else not bolted down (and some that was) and 3 hard scrub downs,(had to hire it cleaned) I rented an Ozone Generator and ran it for a day with the trailer closed up.
I then left all windows and door open w/ fans running for 2 days. I was finnaly able to be inside the AS for more than 3 minutes without my heavy duty air mask. I have COPD. After removing the rear section of floor (7') I rented the O.G. again.
Painted the exposed frame with Por-15, installed new insulation, sub floor.
And again rented the O.Z. for another day.
The cost was $40.00 a day but now there is ZERO smell of the tobaco or molds.
I am going to rent one again come spring but then will only need it for about 4 hours. Very effective and for $15.00 for a part day, well worth the $$. I will just open all cabinet doors and fire it up, followed by a good ventilation process.

So, if it is mold or odors you want to get rid of, the O.G. is the way to go.
BUT JMHO
1991 34' 60th Aniversary Limited Edition #008
2007 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
One big parade float & a 40' Wells Cargo 5th wheel trlr.

"Wake each morning & Smile at the GREAT DAY you about to experience"

www.catson4ponds.com
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
....ours is a peak 03 purifier...left knob turns ozone on and off...right knob controls ionizer. The ozone can 'clear' the air...I however had not heard of its effects on plastics. So heres my question....what is ion or ionization, and what does it do....I know people who live near large bodies of water feel better and feel worse when they are much further inland (away from water) Tell me I want to know!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #19
SJ1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gwinnett County , Georgia
I use an OasisAir purifier and am most pleased with it. Kills mold, fungus, viruses, and helps keep insects away. Air Purifier - UV air purifiers for Indoor Pollution

I also have a salt lamp, which generates negative ions, and like it very much.

But, the Airoasis has made such a drastic improvement, that I'll make sure I always have one.

I run it all day, all night, every day.
SJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #20
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
You should also know that ozone deteriorates rubber, plastic, paint etc.

When your tires dry out and crack, or when plastic panels in an old trailer crumble, that's ozone at work.

I have an ozone generator and use it to dispel smoke and bad odors in my home renovation work. But you should use it cautiously and as little as possible. Close up the room, turn on the generator and leave. Let it run as short a time as will do the job. Then go in, shut it off, open the windows and leave for at least half an hour so the room can air out.

The ozone works by oxidizing everything it comes in contact with.