Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Dehumidifiers & Ozone Generators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Heater + Dehumidifier question

Living in Southeast Alaska means cool days and nights and very high humidity most of the time. We run a small electric heater during the spring and summer and that does not seem to solve the moisture issues that we are encountering.

Is there a small heater dehumidifier combo that might do the job? One appliance would be better than two.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
As a when-camping topic: Overnight I leave windows ajar in humid or cool conditions. This helps respiratory moisture inside equalize with outside relative humidity. Inside excess moisture condenses heavily on the inner skin/windows in the morning after nighttime cooling.

I open 1-3 windows a bit, turn the latch to prevent the window from closing -- and thus have a quarter to half an inch of circulation. I do this to a couple windows in cold conditions (15-25 degrees F), usually at the other end of the coach so I can sleep more comfortably -- and accept this as necessary even if running the furnace -- though the thermostat is rarely set higher than the mid to upper 50s. I set that approximately after lying awake and making sure that the furnace runs a bit and shuts off 2/3d's of the time or better. More than that you'll go through LP very fast -- and ya'd better have electric service at the campsite to run the furnace fan. A furnace fan in heavy use discharges the battery too much while dry camping. Batteries you intend to keep shouldn't be discharged beyond 50% or it will affect their service life.

Talking about storage and humidity is a different topic altogether. :flower:

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote