Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Dehumidifiers & Ozone Generators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Dehumifier/separate power cord

I purchased a dehimidifier for my trailer and plan to use it while the trailer is in stroage.
Dehumidifier / 25 pints dehumidification capacity / Energy Star / Digital control / 115v power / 4.5 amps / 490 watts
The Friedrich D25ANP Dehumidifier controls humidity in small- to medium-sized spaces.

I don't need to keep my main power 30amp on in the trailer while it's in storage. And only want electric power to run a fan, dehimidifier, or portable heater depending on the season it's in storage.
I plan to run a seperate power cord from my storage area power outlet thru the skin on the trailer and into the interior of the trailer.
I have 2 choices, either go thru the floor under/behind a cabinet or, thru an existing break in the skin like the water heater door, furnace, fridge, etc.
I think I found the perfect solution. My trailer has an outside shower that is housed behind a plastic door and enclosed on the backside with a plastic shell. I can gain access to the backside under the wardrobe closet.
There is enough room to drill a hole to run the cord thru. The extra cord can be stored under the wardrobe floor with the water pump.
When the cord is not used I can close the outside door for the shower and no one will know it's there.
I purchased a 25 ft. 12 guage/15 amp extention cord. I'll cut it to the sizes I need and add new HD recepticals/plugs as needed to make this all work.
When looking into the showerbox from outside will be a male plug. From the shore outlet to that plug I'll make a 10' extention cord.,and the rest will be inside the trailer stored under the wardrobe till needed.
I'll be doing this next week unless someone on here has a better idea.
I'm all ears! And always ready to listen to a better or different way to achieve the same goal.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I did something similar to run a dehumidifier and an additional 1500 watt heater. No drilling involved in my Classic. I got a 12ga 50' extension cord and keep it coiled in the lower curved skin water access compartment. I was able to loosen the compartment and run the cord up through the hole where the plumbing lines come in under the bath sink. From there the cord runs behind and under the fridge and under the dinette seat. I emerges at the corner of the seat and the wall, at the floor. I'll post pics later, in case you're interested.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oswego-20120601-00070.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	159810

Name:	Oswego-20120601-00072.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	159811

Name:	Oswego-20120601-00071.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	159812

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I don't understand why you just don't leave the trailer plugged in as normal, and shut the converter/charger off. It is the only thing that draws power when plugged in. Then you can use the normal outlets and not bother with all the special cords, holes etc. What am I missing here?
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
dznf0g,
Yes, that's what I'm trying to achieve. Thanks for the pix. Looks like I need to look around a little more and find a way around drilling. I have a different layout than you, so I need to poke around a little more. Glad you found the solution, looks like a slick way to do it.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I don't understand why you just don't leave the trailer plugged in as normal, and shut the converter/charger off. It is the only thing that draws power when plugged in. Then you can use the normal outlets and not bother with all the special cords, holes etc. What am I missing here?

I am under the impression that all electric goes thru the converter wether the switch is on store or not.. I don't want it to run 24/7. I don't know that much about it so you may be on to something.
I'll have to try what you said, and go from there. Simple enough to do. I'll try your suggestion over the weekend.
Thanks!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My converter plugs into a wall outlet. Unplug it and it is inop.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bluto,

This dehumidifier consumes a lot less power, is pretty small, and works well. Another forum member got a defective one, but mine is fine.

NewAir AD-250 25 Pint Portable Room Dehumidifier With Automatic Shut-Off - FREE GROUND SHIPPING!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
If you set the dehumidifier in the shower you can run it into the shower drain and not have to empty pans.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I use a mini one that keeps the humidity level down to 60-65. Instead of going thru all that trouble, why, not just use the breaker box inside to turn all off except one?
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
For me it's not about the storage thing, It's a poor mans 50 Amp (OK, 45amp) service.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
A bunch of new things for me to think about and try.
Thanks everyone!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, either unplug the converter/charger, or turn it's circuit breaker off, or put a switch on it to shut the 120 volt power off. The 12 volt side is totally independent of the 120 volt side.

If you have a modern 3 stage converter/charger such as the PD 9245, once the battery is fully charged it takes virtually no power, like 4 watts I think I have measured. Many people do not shut those off at all and leave them on 24/7. However as I may be gone for months at a time from my RV's, I do not like to have anything at all in operation, and do shut mine down.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Update:
I actually ended up running the new cable thru the outside shower panel and into the area under the clothes wardrobe as I originally thought of doing.
I did use the idea of putting the dehimidifier in the shower stall and have it draining into the gray water tank via the shower drain. Since I'm doing that I'll probably add a little Clorox solution to the gray tank and drian it once in a while so I don't create problem in there.
All is working fine and I set the unit at 60 which seems to be a good humidity level for now.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote