Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted > Parts Archive
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2003, 08:25 PM   #1

Vinyl/plastic Trim Around The Inside Of Windows

Hello All,

My 1971 Land Yacht has small trim around the inside of each window. It was designed to cover and protect the aluminum interior panel edges that create the inside shape of the windows.

The original color appears to have been a light beige or perhaps parchment.

Over time this trim has become yellow in color and is brittle. In many places the trim has fallen off and there are gaps in the trim around the window.

The closest thing I can compare this trim to is the small thin trim you can buy to put on the edges of your car door to keep the car door from getting dinged.

Any idea where you can get replacement trim for this?

THX
Old 10-17-2003, 10:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
window trim

We were recently at Jackson Center at the Airstream factory and purchased the trim for our Argosy windows. Same stuff is still being used and should be available there, or probably at AS dealers.
Andy may have it too. InlandRV.com
Old 10-18-2003, 01:42 PM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Good to know

Its good to know this is still available. We need to replace it in our 6.7 Argosy Minuet also.

Loudruff are you going to do the replacement yourself? Would you mind adding here or on a separate thread how it goes and some explanation of the process. Maybe what tools to use and anything you run into that might be a problem? U know, the usual "everything you need to know to get the job done in 100 steps or more" kind of stuff!!! Thanks, Leigh
PS Have you posted pics of your 6.7? I haven't looked yet, but interested since CHAS sold his, I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone else that actually owns one. Would like to keep touch to compare notes, OK?? Thanks, Leigh
PPS Would you have the Parts # available. The AS dealer here in Denver is not great and sometimes I have a hard time explaining exactly what we are looking for - would help alot if I could just give AS part #. Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Vinyl/plastic

Hi Leigh! and all,
Yes, we will try and get a "how to" done as we go when we tackle the project. We are currently building a tall garage which will house the Minuette. Roof sheeting goes on this week, so we have not yet tackled the interior panel nosing, or whatever it was called.
Larry and Lou
Old 10-20-2003, 09:47 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Trim

Yes, mine was brittle too. I believe I got my replacement from Andy at Inland RV. Paid by the foot.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:44 AM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Loudruff - looking forward to those copious notes and vividly detailed pics!!!!!!!!

If you have your invoice from AS and it has parts #, that would really help also. Thanks, Leigh
Old 10-20-2003, 09:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
parts numbers

OK. Found the receipt for the trim. Item # 200019 Extr. Plastic J channel cap.
We bought 4-10ft. sections of it. It was $.14/ft. so we spent $5.60 on the trim.

According to Andy at Inland RV post, he suggested using a #30 bit to drill out 1/8" pop rivets. This leaves a hole that can be properly filled with a 1/8" pop rivet.

We haven't tried it yet, but we have collected all of the material and drill bit and rivets. Now we just need the time to do it.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:07 AM   #8
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Super!! That sounds like something within our budget right now. We/ve got a couple other things to finish up, then forward ho...thanks for the info. Leigh

PS Did you see the return PM, Lou?
Old 10-21-2003, 03:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
PM

Saw the PM. Thanks! That trim price wasn't too bad. Hope the install isn't too bad either!