Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2003, 09:08 AM   #1
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Rivet Genuine parts for Airstream

Where can i find & buy genuine parts for my A/S ?

this summer, my water pump leaks from the rubber in caoutchouc;
i can find the A/S reference from my service manual but who contact ?
Idem , I try to find the plastic window on the roof.

Do you contact Airstream factory, dealers from A/S list, your local shop, inlandrv or other ????
Old 08-26-2003, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Andy at Inland, Airstream proper or Airstream Dreams are probably going to be your best shots. Local dealers are typicaly not set up to do shipping sales little lone European sales.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Re: Genuine parts for Airstream

Quote:
Originally posted by brunoffrance
Where can i find & buy genuine parts for my A/S ?
You can't buy directly from the factory, but must order thru a dealer.

The Airstream factory parts department recommended a dealer on the East coast who ships internationally. I've had excellent results with them. Ask for Nancy Jarmen, she's great.

Parkview RV Center
5511 DuPont Parkway
Smyrna, DE 19977

Phone (Toll free) 888-867-6966
Fax: 302-653-6631
e-mail: parkviewpart@aol.com
web site: www.parkviewrv.com
Old 02-12-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Thumbs down very disapointed

Hi all the community;

I' m always searching genuine parts for my 71 overlanders 27'; Here are the results:

I've contacted all the canadian A/S dealers: NO REPLY. BRAVO !

I've contacted ALL east and west coast A/S dealers and the factory; only 6 dealers have replied me to say they don't sale parts for old A/s.
Thank you to them to have the courtesey to reply ( Patrick Botticelli, Frederick Donson, hillsrv, Rick march (factory ), dell sanders and register RV.).
Parkview RV center have'nt reply me too, even after some emails !
Not a good adress !

ONLY ANDY have replied me and gave me prices. thank you Andy, I'm waiting your shipping cost.

Is there only Andy to propose us genuine parts for our TT ?

I can't understand that the factory don't do the necessarry with all the A/S dealers, to have parts, not only for the new trailers!

Imagine Ford stop the product of parts after ten years...

Apparently, jackson center don't worry with our old silver bullets...I wonder what the famous Wally Biam 'ld say about this situation...

Do you have the same problems to find parts ??????

tell me if you can advice me, I m very disapointed of this situation.

Bruno;

Thank you
Old 02-12-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Bruno,

The truly specialized parts are in some cases no longer made or stocked by the factory. The main appliances, including your water pump are normal RV parts. You should be able to replace something like that from an local caravan or boat dealer.

Andy has the inventory and tooling for many of the older parts. That makes him the main resource for the stuff that Airstream no longer is producing.

I agree with your issue about Ford and a 10 year old car, but look at the number of units produced and I would bet Airstream has less than 5% the production of Ford. This makes it hard to maintain all of the parts for all of the designs going back 20-30 years. I too went through this on my older coaches and had to get over the feeling that I was being left behind. You are not being abandoned, just limited in your sources. Some of that limitation is the age of your trailer, some of it will be caused by your location.

If there is a part you need I can see what I can do as an individual. PM me I have 2 dealers near me as well as a camping world.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 02-12-2004, 12:31 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Take a shot and post your needs here.
Dick
Old 02-12-2004, 12:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Just what is it

brunoffrance
Quote:
I try to find the plastic window on the roof.
Give me an idea as to which part it is you need.

A picture will do..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 02-12-2004, 01:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
if Andy at inland doesn't have it try CAMPER REPAIR CENTER IN ALABAMA. 205-665-2531. if they don't have it you are headed to the junk yards. that is for air stream unique items. water heaters and run of the mill RV parts any RV dealer an other sources are the place to look and will be cheaper in the long run.
god luck
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
Old 02-12-2004, 01:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
Bruno
airstream dumps their parts after a period of time, or don't have storage space for the items and they sell them to airstream dealers at a discouint. Andy is one and sunny in Alabama is another that buys these parts. their may be others . sunny has been buying bankrupt airstream dealers parts inventory. last time i was there he had several large trailer loads of parts to be inventoried and stocked. he does not have a web site and he is a one person shop. and he is slow and old. but he is reliable. if you need his post office address let me know and i will pm it to you.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
Old 02-12-2004, 02:12 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Factory tour...

...During a factory tour to see our new Safari, I asked to see the metal-forming shop where the segments are bent. I saw a bunch of old-looking forms there...

Man running the shop said he can make segments for models as far back from the 50's.

Course, a segment does not wear out...it is the hinges, and the other little parts that ya need...
Old 02-12-2004, 02:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
Bruno,

The truly specialized parts are in some cases no longer made or stocked by the factory. The main appliances, including your water pump are normal RV parts. You should be able to replace something like that from an local caravan or boat dealer.

Andy has the inventory and tooling for many of the older parts. That makes him the main resource for the stuff that Airstream no longer is producing.

I agree with your issue about Ford and a 10 year old car, but look at the number of units produced and I would bet Airstream has less than 5% the production of Ford. This makes it hard to maintain all of the parts for all of the designs going back 20-30 years. I too went through this on my older coaches and had to get over the feeling that I was being left behind. You are not being abandoned, just limited in your sources. Some of that limitation is the age of your trailer, some of it will be caused by your location.

If there is a part you need I can see what I can do as an individual. PM me I have 2 dealers near me as well as a camping world.
Acctully Both Ford and GM only keep stuff available for about 15 years unless it's a high demand part. After that it's totaly the aftermarket.

TO give an example. I cant buy buy foam inserts for the armrests on my 88 Suburban (As near as I can tell this was used 84-88). Now I can get brake callipers for a 77 Cadilac Sedan Deville. I have bought battery trays for my 75 GMC. Popular part for the off road crowd is a front Shock mount bracket off of 82-91 Ford F250 trucks. No longer available.

Why Inland can help when others cant is Inland RV bought a huge amount of parts that the California plant had on hand when they shut down. Andy pretty well has cornered the market on many parts that are over 25 years old because he had the forsite to get those parts instead of them hitting the dumpster. When he runs out that my well be it unless the aftermarket see's enough demand to tool up or buy the tooling, if available, to make more. 25-30 year old coaches....not likely.

Fortunaly there is not many things that there are not replacements for other brands that can be made to fit Airstream. There is also enough of a following in this brand that owners keep track of odd parts like the Tambor slides or where they have seen them in junk yards.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:47 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

worth a shot...

I am currently looking for a threaded fresh water tank cap for my '69 27ft AS Land Yacht.

lost it going while tooling down the road. I guess I didn't tighten it enough.

thanks!

PS any one know of a airstream/rv junk yard in texas?
Old 02-14-2004, 02:01 AM   #13
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
here is the first list I 've sent to dealers and factory; I 'm going to repair year by year what I 've discovered during the using last season.

"I 'm Bruno ACCART from FRANCE... so I'm the happy owner of an 27' 1971 Overlander international AIRSTREAM N° 127D1J1717

Can you give me prices for the genuine Airstream parts there. I ve noted references from the 79 Airstream service manual so check them because my A/S is 71'. I suppose the parts are always the same ( On the manual pictures, they are ).

I need:

- 4 magnet assembly 12v ( round magnet) ref 56222-7 or 94731
- 1 adjusting screw sping from brake assemby ref 85068
- a diaphragm from the water pump ref 30015-0000
- the solar dome in center roof of the A/S ref ?

price for these parts and shipping cost .

My adress is :

Bruno ACCART
30 Place Charles Valentin
59140 DUNKERQUE
- FRANCE -

Thank you and best regards from FRANCE

Bruno. "

About the solar dome, the model is the rectangular model, on the roof in plastic ( cooked by the sun, I supose... ).

Thank you for your advices.

Bruno.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I can't believe your having problems with those parts etting shipped to France.

Honestly all the parts with the exception of the solar dome are off the shelf parts available at ANY RV place here in the US. The axle is not made by Airstream. It's sourced by another company. I think it's a Dexter.

The brake parts your looking for you might be bettter served to just buy loaded backing plates. They will come with new oval magnets (stronger) the adjuster you need and new brake shoes. They are ready to go. Just need to take off old plate and put on new.
All you need to know is the diameter of the brake drums.
Here is a site with just what you need. The 10 inch are $40 each complete.

That was the first place I came to when I did a search at www.google.com "brakes trailer"

From my understanding Andy has the better solar dome but www.vintageairstream.com has some as well.

Agian the water pump is just what was common at the time.

I threw you part number into google.

Here is from the vcompany that manufactured it.
http://www.depcopump.com

Hope that helps and gives you some sources that will ship to your location.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Parts

There is a Dexter axle distributor in Ridderkerk NL
Boopark
Old 02-14-2004, 11:02 AM   #16
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Hi Bruno!

Good to see you back on the Forum.

I ordered parts from Inland RV & he sent them next day to Europe,no problem.

Try this new importer in Germany : www.airstream4u.de

he can change axles & brakes for a good price.

Hart
Old 02-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #17
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Markdoane

Thanks for the great link! (understatement)

Hart
Old 02-14-2004, 11:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Thumbs up Boopark

Thanks Hart,
Took me a little while to google the link
Old 02-14-2004, 11:37 AM   #19
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
As you've seen the small list , I don't want the moon...
You certainly know why ,now, I was disapointed to get no replies or no advices by the A/S dealers...
May be the location... LA FRANCE ... hum .

A GREAT THANK YOU for the very useful links; They certainly help me and a lot of other A/S owners in US and Europe.

I'm going to contact them.

Bruno
Old 02-14-2004, 12:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
La France

Bruno,

I really doubt that's the problem.

I know that in my business, there used to be a bit of free time where an order clerk could reach out and make the extra effort needed to fill overseas orders.

I don't think that's the case anymore. Everyone is so busy and over-supervised that there isn't time to reply to an overseas email inquiry.

I send lots of inquiries to vendors, and if you don't look like a 'big customer' you probably (70%) won't get a reply.

You will get better response if you use on-line catalog services, such as Inland RV and handle everything with one e-mail. I know it requires more research on your part, but I think this is where the forum can help you, with things like cross reference parts numbers and the like.

Stay away from the RV dealers. They are not set up to handle overseas orders. Unless you tell them you will be in their town on such and such date, pay cash, and give them the exact part number and they have it in stock.