Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Hidden A/C

I am working on an A/C install for my Bambi II. The goal is
Quiet
Qool
Qant see it

Anyone interested

Steve
firefly007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Sure. Whatcha' ya got going on there?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Windowless A/C

I'm looking for a windowless A/C unit for my Bambi II primarily because I don't want to destroy the original look of the trailer by adding an external A/C unit. I did an Internet search on windowless A/C and found lots of different models to choose from so am not sure where to begin. It looks like I can hide the unit in an existing cabinet where I can just open the cabinet door when I want to run the A/C. The exhaust for the hot air is routed through a tube that can be run outside. Some even have a dehumidifier option with a removable drawer to facilitate emptying the water.

Does anyone have one or know anything about them?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly007
I am working on an A/C install for my Bambi II. The goal is
Quiet
Qool
Qant see it

Anyone interested

Steve
This has to be the ultimate coincidence on this forum. You and I both started a thread on the same topic (i.e., windowless A/C) and we both want one for the same model trailer (i.e., Bambi II). Too funny!

Old 06-30-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Small split a/c system with cabinet mounted air handler and external condenser. Since the Bambii II is small and low it is quite a challenge. The end product must also be able to run on a Honda 2k generator. We are shooting at about 650 to 800 watts total power. The system may be marginal for full sun load at noon in Arizona but I am really looking for a good nites sleep.

steve
Old 06-30-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Yukionna,
sorry did not see your post, where is it
steve
Old 06-30-2006, 04:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Ahh, I found it,
You are right, you must have hit the send key at the same time.
I have never seen what I am doing, done. Could not find anything in the archives or on line. Maybe someone will post a past project I cant find.
I am used to building whatever I need whether it Flys, Floats or Rolls. I looked at all of the alternatives out there and they just won't do.

steve
Old 06-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
This has to be the ultimate coincidence on this forum. You and I both started a thread on the same topic (i.e., windowless A/C) and we both want one for the same model trailer (i.e., Bambi II). Too funny!
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the real coincidence part is that we started our respective threads at the same time. Must be karma! Speaking of which, I will leave you some right now!

Old 06-30-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I want in.....

Don't keep this between you guys, share this info. I had two split type units installed on a CONEX this week for a work van to go an a ship. These were high end units by Carrier. Cost big bucks but every time I see them I get the idea for my Caravel. If you have a source for cheaper models let me know. As for now, all the one's I've seen are costly$$$$$$$$$.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Hi Michael,
There are several mini-split systems out ther for residential and commercial. Maybe you have seen something I have not but normally they are to big and clumsey for the inside of a Bambi and the outside units are are even less suitable. The inside and outside unit I am working on would go unnoticed by the average person. It is possible that this system can be offered as a product but it will be costly. I will update post on this project as I go if enough people are interested.

steve
Old 06-30-2006, 09:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
65 Caravel

Contact Colin at GSM Vehicles, at www.gsmvehicles.com or on the forums here. They just did this in the 65 Caravel they customized and we are doing it to our 58 Sovereign of the Road. The house unit slides out the side of the trailer and drains to the ground, and is ducted through a closet. He's out at International now.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Contact Colin at GSM Vehicles, at www.gsmvehicles.com or on the forums here. They just did this in the 65 Caravel they customized and we are doing it to our 58 Sovereign of the Road. The house unit slides out the side of the trailer and drains to the ground, and is ducted through a closet. He's out at International now.

Rob
Thanks for the lead, Rob. Which model A/C unit are you installing in your Airstream?

I also found a few windowless A/C units while searching on the internet.

1) Fujitronic FA-9000 Windowless 9,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner $340 to $401

2) Soleus KY32U 12,000 BTU BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Cooling Area: 450 sq.ft - With Dehumidifier Function, With Fan Function - With Remote Control - With Timer

3) Delonghi PAC-210 7,500 BTU BTU Portable Air Conditioner
Cooling Area: 250 sq.ft - With Dehumidifier Function, With Fan Function - With Timer $329.99

4) Kenwood KW85 8,500 BTU BTU Portable Air Conditioner
With Dehumidifier Function - With Remote Control - With Timer $399 to $600

5) Sunpentown WA-7500M 7,500 Btu Portable Air Conditioner
$285 to $435

6) Delonghi AIR Conditioner $976 - $1200

7) HAIER 7000BTU PORTABLE AC HPAC7M $380

8) Amcor ALW12000EH Air Conditioner
$429 - $450

9) Sharp CV-P09LX Portable AC
$400 - $499

Old 07-01-2006, 09:01 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Thanks for the ideas, but been there. Most of the portable units use inside air to cool the condenser. In a Bambi there just is not enough room and they tend to be noisy. Moving heat and getting rid of it to outside air is difficult. Dometic builds a nice unit called a CoolCat but it requires that you cut a BIG hole in your trailer.

steve
Old 07-01-2006, 03:15 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Stonewall , Mississippi
Ac

I am new, our ac does not cool our 31' the way I think it should (or want to it, lol). You are talking about a windowless unit. Is that because the one on top of your trailers just don't cool sufficiently?

Thanks,

Alice
acrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
"Proper" Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrane
I am new, our ac does not cool our 31' the way I think it should (or want to it, lol). You are talking about a windowless unit. Is that because the one on top of your trailers just don't cool sufficiently?

Thanks,

Alice
Proper cooling can mean one thing to you and another thing to me. Your unit may need more refrigerant, a good cleaning of the condensor and evaporator, to be in the shade, to be in a cooler climate. These are just a few suggestions.
I think the reason the people, including myself want a "windowless" unit is so that it doesn't mess with the classic lines of our older Bambi II's which were seldom fitted with A/C units from the factory.
Kev
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:26 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Hi Alice, My project is for other reasons than just cooling. Your 31' AS looks just fine with one or two roof A/C units. The problem with the older small trailers like a Bambi is that they do not look right with modern roof units. Picture if you attended an Afternoon Tea Social wearing a Cowboy Hat instead of a Lace Sun Hat. You get the idea. I had considered a Carrier low profile but they actually are too cold and they do not look right. I am trying to come up with something special for this project.

By the way, I highly reccomend The Carrier Low profile. Outside air temp, insulation, sun load, internal heat generated and air infiltration all play a part in how much a/c you need. Here in Fla in full sun a 31' AS would need two 15k units if you like that arctic feel. Turn one off at night.

Good Luck
steve
Old 07-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've seen a windowless unit at Sam's Club. One of the stickers on the side noted that the unit's performance was not equivalent to a same sized BTU window air conditioner.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:58 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Hill Country , Texas
Steve,

I, too, have been researching this problem for my 1959 Overlander, which wasn't built for rooftop air and wouldn't, IMO, look good with one.

I don't really like how any of the portables look/sound, and they take up a lot of floorspace. I did see an interesting installation of a split system, with the outside unit installed on the tongue behind the gas tanks. The pic is somewhere on these forums, sorry I can't find the link right now. But I would have to make major mods to my tongue, and move my battery somewhere.

I'm pretty much leaning toward putting a Cool Cat AC/heat pump under the little bench just fore of my streetside range/sink counter, right where my Suburban furnace used to be, and camoflaging the installation on the outside with the original vent cover. I decided I'd rather use a unit designed for this type of installation, instead of trying to "jerry-rig" a household unit. Also, the Cool Cat is the right shape (deeper than wide) and the window units aren't. The Cool Cat is expensive, but I think a more straightforward solution for me.

I just hope 12,000 BTU is enough cooling capacity in the shade in Texas for my 26-footer. Heating is far less of a concern here, altho I am looking at adding a catalytic for back-up, if I can figure out a good location. Otherwise, may just use an electric oil-filled radiator -- that's how we heat our huge bedroom at night in the winter, and it often does TOO good a job!

I like this thread! Hope someone comes up with a solution we haven't heard about yet!
Old 07-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrane

Thanks,

Alice
Alice,

While I don't know the brand or state of your current air conditioner, I can tell you that in my dealings, the 13.5 K unit on new trailers is marginal once you get to temperatures that exceed the mid 90's if you are in a full sun situation.

On my maiden voyage with our then new '01 27' Safari, we took the new owners of my previous SOB camping on a hot summer weekend in Hannibal Mo. We ended up in spots next to each other in the full sun. My SOB was a 28' model also with a 13.5 K air conditioner. Once we hit 10AM the air conditioner compressor ran full time. We lost ground all day with the temp outside peaking at 102 and inside we were between 86-88 degrees. My old SOB was just fine.

I took the trailer back to the dealer's and eventually back to Jackson Center, where the unit was diagnosed. Everything was running to specs, and the folks at Jackson Center found no air intrusions or lack of insulation. Much to my distress in questioning Airstream as to the standard that they size to (dependent upon outside temperatures, what do you engineer you A/C's to do?), no one could admit to one.

Dometic stated that their standard for a properly operating A/C unit was a 15 to 20 degree drop across the coils on intake air to the cold air exhaust. Mine was performing at 18 degrees. It was just a matter that aluminum didn't have the reflective abilities of my old white SOB, therefore the unit was undersized and unable to overcome the outside heat gain.

I never forgot that trip and from then on usually camped under some or partial shade. I also added a street side awning to the Safari. When I had my 30' Classic built I upgraded to the 15K air conditioner. I've not had an issue with this trailer to this point.

My point to you that if your current A/C unit is sick and you need to replace, dependent upon your travels you may want to go to a bigger unit.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959newbie
Steve,

I, too, have been researching this problem for my 1959 Overlander, which wasn't built for rooftop air and wouldn't, IMO, look good with one.
I'm pretty much leaning toward putting a Cool Cat AC/heat pump under the little bench just fore of my streetside range/sink counter, right where my Suburban furnace used to be, and camoflaging the installation on the outside with the original vent cover. I decided I'd rather use a unit designed for this type of installation, instead of trying to "jerry-rig" a household unit. Also, the Cool Cat is the right shape (deeper than wide) and the window units aren't. The Cool Cat is expensive, but I think a more straightforward solution for me.

I just hope 12,000 BTU is enough cooling capacity in the shade in Texas for my 26-footer.

I like this thread! Hope someone comes up with a solution we haven't heard about yet!
Lynne,
The CoolCat may be a good solution for you because you have the room. I have seen them on class B motorhomes. They are a little noisy and they do require a large hole in the wall. Everything is a compromise. It is amazing how many BTUs are required for trailers and Houseboats in full sun. I will keep you posted.
Steve