Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Where do I get a new fan motor?

I just got back from my first trip out in the AS. Couldn't try out the air at home due to lack of power. Well, wouldn't you know it, it was 95 degrees and the air didn't work! PO said it blew cold! It did, but only for about 2-3 minutes. Then the fan quit. Came home (went with my daughters & left hubby home) and my hubby climbed on top to have a look. The motor is shot. My question is...where do I find another one (or can I?) I searched other threads & found people replaced theirs w/one from Grainger. They only have over 4,000 motors! All the info on the motor is gone, so we're not sure which one to get. If anyone knows, please let me know. I need to decide if it's worth buying a motor and a new shroud (son put a hole in it while reinstalling it after I painted it! Thanks in advance,
Becky

By the way, the air conditoner is the original 1976 Armstrong. Condenser seems fine.
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:25 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Where do you live? Grainger is a great source for motors. Maybe you could bring it down there. They most certainly could find the replacement for you.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I live in Northwest Indiana. My husband tried to find the right one on their website, but he came up with a printout of a GE motor with no numbers that went with it. He can't seem to come up with a price on their website.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
My "Go To" place to buy a motor also would be Grainger's.
Even it it meant quite a hike I'd go to them and have them try to match it,
They're pretty knowledgeable there.
A $40 motor could save you $500 + install for a whole new AC.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I hope they only cost $40. The ones we were looking at online at Graingers were about $200. We just have to make sure we get the right one. A little more research & maybe a trip to LaPorte (closest Graingers) is in store. I also need a new shroud, which costs about $200-$300, so I might be up in the $500 area just to repair it. Saw air conditioners on ebay for about that much.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae
I hope they only cost $40. The ones we were looking at online at Graingers were about $200. We just have to make sure we get the right one. A little more research & maybe a trip to LaPorte (closest Graingers) is in store. I also need a new shroud, which costs about $200-$300, so I might be up in the $500 area just to repair it. Saw air conditioners on ebay for about that much.
Yeah, I was just reading a posting here about air conditioners for $500 or so. If it's that much, just replace it.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Armstrong Repair or Replace

We are in the same boat.
My unit does not cool. I have followed other's comments and have no conclusion yet. The Armstrong units last for years. Newer units can wear out quickly and you will end up with the same problem again. There is probably a local guy that repairs motors, I found such a guy when my table saw motor died. It would have been cheaper to buy a new motor but the guy said my old motor was better than the new cheap ones. I believed him. He replaced bearings, capacitor and cord.
My Armstrong housing is original and still sound.
Another consideration is to install a new box a/c like Uwe. I like the idea of sliding in a unit at waist level like the space heater and water heater. I am waiting for feedback from him after the heat of summer tests his installation.
Rooftop a/c's do not look cool in my book plus the shape creates drag.
The rooftop units take the hot air from the top and push out cold air that falls down, an advantage.
Let us know how it goes.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I checked with a local carrier repair dealer (among other brands) & he had nothing like the motor I need. Tomorrow I'm going to Grainger & another electric motor store in the quest for the fan motor. I'm not wild about the looks of a window unit in a travel trailer, so whatever happens, I'll go for a working roof unit. I'd hate to block a window (not to mention the huge hole in the roof) & just think it looks tacky. If I come up empty tomorrow or a motor costs more than $200, I'll probably get a carrier off of ebay. The most daunting thing to me is cleaning up all the sealer from the old unit--it's smeared about 3" past the existing unit & will be a pain to remove! I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.
Becky
Old 06-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
New/Old

Quote:
I'd hate to block a window (not to mention the huge hole in the roof) & just think it looks tacky.
I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.
Becky
I agree. There are installations that are not tacky, do not block windows and the hole in the roof would require work.
My greatest concern would be cold air on the floor with hot air at the roof, something that a rooftop unit naturally works against.
Do you use the Search option for other threads? The information is available.
Good luck,
R
Old 06-22-2006, 08:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Search Results

Just did a search on the Armstrong Air Conditioner.
If I had what you have I would probably replace the unit.
Carrier sounds good from what I read but there are issues like the drain to deal with.
Good luck,
R
Old 06-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I just ordered a Carrier 15,000 btu from Family RV. It cost $459 + $85 shipping + $10 insurance. My husband decided it would take as much work and almost as much money to replace the motor & shroud as it would to put in a new unit. Now to get the old boat off the top & clean up the mess of adhesive (or whatever it is) before the new one comes! A previouse thread (about inexpensive air condiitoners) said there is some kind of way to modify the Carrier to work with the existing drain tube. I wrote the guy an email for his secrets, but haven't heard back yet. If anyone else knows how to modify a Carrier to the exisitng drain tube, please let me know!
Becky
Old 06-22-2006, 02:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Well, I took the trailer over to our farm for some manly help in removing the old air conditioner. There were screws all the way around under vulkem. Three guys worked at it & had it removed in about 1/2 hour. We have a forklift, which came in really handy for the job! They just perched above the trailer & did their stuff. It would have taken me the rest of my life to do it. Sometimes men are good to have around! The goop was all around a skirt & not totally on the trailer itself, so it looked alot worse that it was. I used a heat gun to remove the rest of it. I really hardly needed since it's about 110 degrees up there! Had to use a blanket to lean on, or would burn myself! Now I need to cover it up & wait for the new AC.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Rocky Mount , Virginia
Check your wireing connections. My Armstrong a/c in a 72 International would come on blow cold for 2-3 min & then the fan would stop. I changed the motor; same problem! Solution was a new 5 cent wire nut!!

If you want to buy the new motor I bought and did not need or use, call me at 540-483-0899.

Jim
jim.bailey@e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Thanks, Jim. The entire unit is now in the dumpster. The motor got VERY hot, so my husband said it was shot. He opted for a new unit, as we also needed a new shroud & figured it would cost only about $100 more for a new one. Thanks for the offer anyhow.
Becky
Old 06-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Where To Get

Quote:
If anyone else knows how to modify a Carrier to the exisitng drain tube, please let me know!
Becky
Inland RV has what you are looking for I believe. It was documented on earlier threads as was alternative options for the Carrier.

R
Old 06-30-2006, 06:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
We received the new air conditioner from Family RV & 2 guys installed it in about 45 minutes. Works great! Thanks for all of your advice.
Becky