Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #1
Airhead in An Airstream

1973 27' Overlander
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Longview , Texas
What is the quietest 15k BTU AC?

Hi all,

Hubby and I are redoing a 1955 Cruiser and want opinions on which 15k BTU rooftop air conditioner is the quietest? The one we have on our 73' is very loud and makes me crazy(ier)

Thanks in advance for the advice.
SCopp
SCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCopp View Post
Hi all,

Hubby and I are redoing a 1955 Cruiser and want opinions on which 15k BTU rooftop air conditioner is the quietest? The one we have on our 73' is very loud and makes me crazy(ier)

Thanks in advance for the advice.
SCopp
There's probably a good reason that most ads for rooftop air conditioners (of any size) do not brag about their low decibel levels. But you can attribute most of the unwanted noise to two sources, the blower and the compressor motor. A fully-enclosed blower will be quieter than an open blower, so that's a feature to look for. Most compressor motors do not have any kind of sound shielding, but some Dometic marine HVAC units have optional neoprene wraps that can be put around a compressor motor to quiet it down. I don't know if they have these wraps for RV air conditioners, but it's worth looking into.

A typical RV air conditioner produces about 65dB inside the RV. For reference, normal human speech is about 60dB, so if you stand at arm's reach from someone with the air conditioner between you and they have to raise their voice to make themselves understood, your AC is putting out more than 60dB. Or else you're going deaf. But if you were going deaf, then a loud AC wouldn't bother you so much.

A good dB value to shoot for is about 55dB— or less, though I doubt you'll find any AC units in that size that produce less dB than that.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Atwood has released a line of rooftop ACs. Not low profile but they are supposed to be more quiet than competitors.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/a...s-brochure.pdf

My brother in law is having one installed on his Class C MH non ducted air while he's getting his roof resurfaced. When he gets it back I'll have to check it out and see how quiet it is. His unit comes with a remote.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote