Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
northfield , Massachusetts
what brand a/c unit

just finished with first trip. good sams club in greenfield MA.Had fun trying out trailer. next big trip straberry park in ct 4 of july week. what brand a/c unit is best. 1973 23' safari. thanks Don
twiggy137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
You will get MANY thoughts about this; but for me, my Dometic 15k heatpump is the way to go.

Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow
You will get MANY thoughts about this; but for me, my Dometic 15k heatpump is the way to go.

Dennis
Ditto.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
another approach

Dometic....not for me. With improved technology you can get a "low Profile" (I like Carrier....others like Dometic) AC. Don't go down the road with a hump back protrusion.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Allow me to interject my unbiased professional opinion......

I service just about everything out there, and the 'big 3' ....... being Dometic, RVP (Coleman) and Carrier are the industry leaders in roof airs, and I listed them in sales ranking. Dometic is way out there in front, RVP is in the middle and Carrier is a far distant third.

All of these units work well. Your decision should be based on a couple of things, IMHO.......availability of thrained service techs should you have a problem, and how the manufacturers stand behind their warranty.

Dometic has far and away the best tech and service network in the industry. Their warranty is bulletproof and they stand behind it 100% with parts and labor in years 1 & 2 and parts only in year 3.

RVP isn't bad in the warranty area, with a 2 year 100% like Dometic, but no 3rd year IIRC. Their phone techs are knowledgeable and friendly, but they sure do take their time in the re-imbursement department.

Carrier is a totally different animal, from my point of view. Their RV division is just a blip on their corporate radar screen, as they are huge in other A/C areas like home, refrigerated transport, and other big stuff like that. Yes, they make a nice unit, but so do the others. Their warranty department is a real horror show, depending on which phone tech you happen to get when you call. Some know less than nothing! To top that off, the are the slowest payers of warranty re-imbursement in the industry. I had to wait almost 6 months to get paid for a unit replacement....which is totally unacceptable!! Needless to say that I no longer will accept Carrier warranty work.

They also make the tech buy the replacement parts or entire units (been there, done that) and then you have to wait a long time to get paid. The other 2 companies will send out warranty parts no charge from the factory, or a complete new unit if you need one. Then, after filing the warranty claim, they usually get a check to you in 3-4 weeks......totally ACCEPTABLE!

Just though you might find a little 'insider' info useful in your decision.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
LG Art Cool Split Air

[QUOTE=. Don't go down the road with a hump back protrusion.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that part.

Not wanting to defile the iconic shape of the Airstream, I installed an LG Art Cool split air unit in my Argosy.

Not a solution for everyone, of course, but you can check it out here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html

You can see how inside unit was installed starting around post #175. At post #227 you’ll find a close-up picture of the completed exterior portion.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:41 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
northfield , Massachusetts
thanks for your opions

looks like i'll be going with the dometic brand. anyone had any good luck with the sellers on ebay. thanks,Don
twiggy137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I see PPLMotorhomes oft cited as being good service/price.

RV Parts and Accessories for Sale
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote