Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2015, 11:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1950 21' Flying Cloud
1960 22' Safari
Newland , North Carolina
what are the options for having a silver-colored A/C?

I've got a 1950 Flying Cloud. I hate to spoil the clean lines but I need to add an A/C unit. I'd prefer a low profile model. And I'd prefer it was silver-colored or shrouded in aluminum to match the trailer.

How can I add the A/C and minimize the visual impact?

Thanks!
1960 Safari 22'
Newland, NC
FlyingCloud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:47 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Rattle can paint the cover.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
You could have the cover painted silver with car paint, or you could form a cover over the plastic cover made of aluminum.

If you have access to a metal brake you could easily make a rudimentary cover that would look "right" on your older trailer.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:37 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud3 View Post
I've got a 1950 Flying Cloud. I hate to spoil the clean lines but I need to add an A/C unit. I'd prefer a low profile model. And I'd prefer it was silver-colored or shrouded in aluminum to match the trailer.

How can I add the A/C and minimize the visual impact?

Thanks!
You can get a split unit, and put the compressor and condenser outside, on the tongue, for example. The cooling part can be mounted in a cabinet, with the fan blowing the cool air out into the interior.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
You can also consider mounting an A/C inside a cabinet so that you have nothing on the roof. I know of 3 of us who have done it this way. Unfortunately, we have all documented it in longer restoration threads. Start with posts 346, 347 and 366 in this thread -- it has links to Toastie's and Becky's installs. You'll find three different methods of exhausting hot air.

It's a lot of work, but we're all quite happy with the result.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud3 View Post
I hate to spoil the clean lines but I need to add an A/C unit. I'd prefer a low profile model. And I'd prefer it was silver-colored or shrouded in aluminum to match the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Rattle can paint the cover.
Painting the A/C shroud is a good idea no matter what color you want it— even if you want it white. The plastic used in the shroud breaks down over time due to exposure to ultraviolet light and becomes brittle. Painting the shroud protects it from UV.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question HMW Polyethylene plastic.....

FWIW.....I bought a shroud from ICON Direct and found out after the fact that it is not easily painted.

It's ok as long as white or black works for you....

Bob
Old 11-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
FWIW.....I bought a shroud from ICON Direct and found out after the fact that it is not easily painted.
Wet-sanding first does help. Using latex paint also helps because it's a "flexible" coating, unlike epoxies and acrylics.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
I'd consider something like this: LG Electronics 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and Dehumidifier Function with Remote Control (48 Pints/Day)-LP0814WNR - The Home Depot

you're not making a permanent hole in your roof and can be vented through a side window.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #10
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Kryon Fusion is for plastic and works very well for me.

As far a silver goes, I painted a plastic bucket with silver/chrome paint of some forgotten brand to make an Airstream trash can. It has taken a beating and held up great.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Just had to replace the A/C on our 69 Safari. It was significant work because of the format of the original A/C which required only a small round hole at the entry point to the trailer. That A/C never did work very well anyway (my parents bought the trailer new) plus it dripped condensate all the time. So - new A/C. the shroud is black and I like it. The mechanic offered to paint it and once I saw it I thought it looked great. When it fades we may paint it back to silver but that will be a long time from now. Leaking is fixed now and it has a small pump in the collection pan to pump condensate out. Definitely worth every penny
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Wet-sanding first does help. Using latex paint also helps because it's a "flexible" coating, unlike epoxies and acrylics.
I finally gave up on duplicating the blue I added to the stock shroud.....

....tried 800 WS, plus heating the surface with a heat gun to draw the resin to the surface. But even after a wipe down with prepsol and a tack rag the AS decal slid off after the first wet-down.

Bob
Old 11-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #13
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I used Kryon Fusion a few years back and it has held up well. To avoid issues with the existing lettering, I made a template which was an elongated oval to cover the decals and taped it in place. The remainder was prepped and painted metallic silver. The taped portion was removed and the whole given a clear coat final layer.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Ue a primer that is formulated for plastic, you can get them at Sherwin Williams, give it a couple coats, then get a can of satin sheen of aluminum paint, (either brush on or rattle can), and you'll be good to go....

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
My original shroud looked like it was fiberglass. My replacement, 3 years ago from PPL, looked like fiberglass also. I too wanted the silver/aluminum/metallic look. I lightly scuffed it with sandpaper, washed with soap & water, and painted with rattle can primer and then paint. It looks the same as when I painted it 3 years ago.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I painted a plastic replacement vent with "chrome" paint... now looks like dull aluminum paint. Sticks to my awning, too! Lousy product!

I wish I'd gone to twin portable A/Cs when my rooftop unit failed. It's a real hassle to get that thing up there, and the air doesn't really blow where I want it to go. It's an energy hog that occasionally throws its breaker. There are lots of threads detailing how little love there is for the rooftop units.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Did not work for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bganso View Post
I'd consider something like this: LG Electronics 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and Dehumidifier Function with Remote Control (48 Pints/Day)-LP0814WNR - The Home Depot

you're not making a permanent hole in your roof and can be vented through a side window.
I attempted something similar on my FC with no success. Finally ended up with a splt system which is excellent. PM me for me more info or search for "Mini Split" thread.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Ideal solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You can get a split unit, and put the compressor and condenser outside, on the tongue, for example. The cooling part can be mounted in a cabinet, with the fan blowing the cool air out into the interior.
I ended up with a Pioneer split system in my vintage trailer and love it. Installation is not trivial, however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressor2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	252199  
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote