Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
Thought I'd share

I thought I'd share what I learned about the Atwood 8525-IV furnace on our '06 Safari. Last fall we found the furnace would light but not heat well. The temperature at the duct was about 80F. After reading about various possibilities on this forum, I took out the burner and found it fine. The orifice however was partially clogged. Simple fix, but I'm curious how the particle got in there in the first place. Duct outlet temperature now is 115F.
Steve
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKSmith View Post
I thought I'd share what I learned about the Atwood 8525-IV furnace on our '06 Safari. Last fall we found the furnace would light but not heat well. The temperature at the duct was about 80F. After reading about various possibilities on this forum, I took out the burner and found it fine. The orifice however was partially clogged. Simple fix, but I'm curious how the particle got in there in the first place. Duct outlet temperature now is 115F.
Steve
What do you mean "took out the burner?"
Did you remove the entire unit and repair it on a bench?
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
The burners can be removed by rotating them about a 1/4 turn and lifting up.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:29 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Steve,

I've seen similar on fridge IIRC, like lint almost.

But knowing how to pull burner if you're comfortable with that is a good thing. I've had bugs get inside the burner post gas jet and roll around making a popping sound. Not good.

I just took mine apart to inspect and find exactly where that famous sail switch is.

Good catch Steve.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
So you go outside the trailer and take off the panel.
Then one can get to the burners, is that right?
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
Old 12-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mythbuster88

Can you provide the make and model info from your furnace?

That can help folks keep from pointing in the wrong direction.

Also are you trying to fix a problem or ???

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 12-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Quote:
Steve
Bulk LPG will contain some small amount of dissolved water and vapor. During transport and storage processes, it is unfortunately common for the water to become more concentrated for many reasons I will not go into. The insides of pressure vessels and pipes are not generally coated and in colder temperatures, LPG can become saturated with water to the point that free water forms. The water allows small amounts of rust to form generally on the nozzle and flange welds where dissimilar alloys promote "galvanic corrosion". The corrosion flakes off and sometimes end up in your propane tanks especially when bulk and commercial dealers don't properly maintain filters on the delivery hoses.

Tip: Always make sure the bulk propane delivery hose has a filter installed on it and ask the supplier if the filter is maintained and changed recently or look for the maintenance label. There will be a date changed on the label.

Now you did not describe what material was contained in the clog you found but rust is the most common.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
That makes sense. It looked like rust. I’ve refilled my propane tanks at the corner gas station / convenience store a couple of times. Filter? They probably never checked it in the 10+ years they’ve been open. I’ll ask next time!
Steve
Old 12-29-2019, 07:51 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbuster88 View Post
What do you mean "took out the burner?"
Did you remove the entire unit and repair it on a bench?
On the Atwood 8525 furnace, the burner assembly can be removed from access panel on the outside of the trailer. There are several You Tube videos that are are helpful. It was a pretty quick fix. I’ve also found a installation/service manual that covers many models. PM me if you’re interested and I’ll send a copy to you.
Steve
Old 12-29-2019, 10:31 AM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mythbuster88,

While I was researching for sail switch info I found this YouTube series by a mobile RV tech. While what is being replaced in this video is not real important but it shows the basic component R&R for the Atwood 85XX series.

Darren has a pretty good series of furnace, fridge and water heater servicing videos and his website has a lot of service manual pdf docs.

Gary
Old 01-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Quote:
On the Atwood 8525 furnace, the burner assembly can be removed from access panel on the outside of the trailer. There are several You Tube videos that are are helpful. It was a pretty quick fix. I’ve also found a installation/service manual that covers many models. PM me if you’re interested and I’ll send a copy to you.
Steve
Thanks for your offer.
Everything is working fine with the heater but I am very paranoid about he darn thing.
So far our trailer has had numerous failures and a heater malfunction could be a trip disaster. I want to stay in front of possible problems.
Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Mythbuster88

Can you provide the make and model info from your furnace?

That can help folks keep from pointing in the wrong direction.

Also are you trying to fix a problem or ???

Gary
I don't know what is in there, whatever AS installs is what it is. I am not trying to fix a problem but was curious if the heater can be repaired in place because it is a critical item for our camping experience.

In fact the primary reason behind our LiFePO4 battery upgrade was to keep the heater running while boondocking.

Thanks.