Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

2012 25' Flying Cloud
McKinney , Texas
Thermostat reading -05 degrees inside temp

I am getting inside temp readings of -05 on my thermostat. Heat pump and furnace work on occasion and AC seems to work fine and cools well. When I attempt to start the furnace or heat pump, they fail to start and the inside temp continues to read -05. The thermostat has been replaced and the techs at the service center claim to have ran all 3 systems for 3 days with no failures. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?
CJBrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We collected our Airstream from storage on Friday and found that the thermostat control wasn't working correctly. I could reduce the heat setting but not increase it. After a bit of thought I decided that it may need a reset (too much time on the PC and you know all about resets!). The instruction manual showed showed how to do it and 30 seconds later the problem was solved. Try a reset, it won't do any harm.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Contact forum member Lewster.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
The heating / cooling system was not working correctly on my 2012 International Sig last year and I eventually found the fault in the telephone line that connects the thermostat and the ac unit. There was a loose connection on the ac end and once it was plugged in properly, all was normal again. To gain access to the plug on the ac, the inside cowling has to be removed by undoing about 6 screws. As you can see, there are a few things that can go wrong. One needs tiny fingers to poke around in the ac and lucky for me, a son was available at the time. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBrent View Post
I am getting inside temp readings of -05 on my thermostat. ...
If your CCC (thermostat) ever loses 12v power, results are unpredictable and as MrUKToad suggests, a reset is simple to do, it can't hurt and frequently fixes the problem. If I understand your post, the -05 on the display was your original problem and a shop replaced the CCC for that, never saw the problem, and the new CCC is now behaving the same way, and sometimes the heatpump/furnace operates and sometimes it doesn't. When one or the other does operate, does the CCC display appear normal or is the -05 always visible?

If it comes and goes, it sounds like you have an intermittent problem and that sort of thing is the curse of the service tech and a frustration for the owner. Jim's suggestion to replug the connectors is an excellent next step following the CCC reset. On occasion, a part gets replaced and the problem resolved, but the part was never faulty, it was the physical replugging that was the real fix. Additionally, manufacturers often maintain a database of symptoms that authorized service providers should have access to. If the displayed -05 is significant, Dometic may know what this points to. Hopefully this is happening within the warranty period.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i had the same problem and found the telephone connector mentioned (there are 2) was wet with condensation. one at a time i took 1 out, dried it out with a hair dryer, replaced it and wrapped a sandwich bag around it and secured the ends with twist ties. i've had no problems since.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #7

2012 25' Flying Cloud
McKinney , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
i had the same problem and found the telephone connector mentioned (there are 2) was wet with condensation. one at a time i took 1 out, dried it out with a hair dryer, replaced it and wrapped a sandwich bag around it and secured the ends with twist ties. i've had no problems since.
Once I take the interior cover off the unit, are the cables difficult to locate or fairly visible?
CJBrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
CJ

They've changed the layout a couple of times but in my experience you have to take the thermostat off the wall to get at the connector.

The Dometic CCC thermostat, wiring, and logic boards have as a whole given me no end of trouble. The RJ-11 phone connectors they use are a low-cost connector that performs poorly and are one of several weak points. The next time mine acts up I'm ripping out the whole thing and replacing it with a standard thermostat. The only reason I haven't is the enormous hassle involved in running the wires.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
If memory serves me correctly, the other end of the telco type cable from the CCC plugs into the power module board. To access it you need to get on the roof and remove the plastic shroud over the A/C unit (4 screws around the perimeter?). The board is on the curb side of the unit. There may be a sheet metal cover over the board that needs to be removed for access. Disconnect the shore power before poking around in there as there are some exposed 110v connectors in that area. You will see at least 2 of those telco type plugs on that board.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBrent View Post
Once I take the interior cover off the unit, are the cables difficult to locate or fairly visible?
once the inside cover was off they were visible in the center area. as mentioned, it is hard to reach in there but doable. i think i held the wire coming down with two fingers and the connector with a needle nose pliers and pushed it up to reconnect them. ifyou can let them dry out a day or two, you might just have to wrap them.

if you're not familiar with the release clips on phone wires, practice with a phone so you can do it without looking.

i might have had two connectors because i have two ac units.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
and yes, powering off the trailer for safety is a good idea.