Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Oakland , California
Thermostat dead?

hello everyone,
i'm having an issue with no display coming up on my 4 button duo-therm thermostat in my 96 excella. is the thermostat dead or could a fuse be blown? where would i check fuses?
TIA!
vegburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The thermostat gets its power directly from a transformer in the a/c. So, check first to make sure the a/c is getting power, then check the telephone wire plug at the thermostat to make sure it's getting power and ground. It could be a tripped breaker or loose connector on the plug in the thermostat or a/c unit.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Oakland , California
thanks for the reply - how would i check voltage at the telephone wire plug?
vegburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Did you ever get your thermostat working properly? My '97 Excella thermostat works, but sometimes the buttons get balky then they suddenly start working jumping the choice down two or three items on the display. I'm trying to determine if someone has the answer whether to replace or have a tech rebuild it. There's a guy on Ebay offering that service.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I found this on another site.

First remove your comfort control from the wall. Remove cover to expose ckt board and plunge switches. (FOUR BUTTONS). Spray all four buttons with electronic contact cleaner. Work buttons. Do this three to four times. Spray dry with caned air.(DUST OFF by Falcon) Any one can do this. It works......
Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Bob,
I had the exact same problem on our '99 Excella. They don't make our model anymore, and a refit up to the next model involved a lot of replacement parts for the A/C unit as well. Over $200 as I recall. I love the post by garry telling us to spray the contacts and dry it out. I'm going to try that for sure. - GH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
Did you ever get your thermostat working properly? My '97 Excella thermostat works, but sometimes the buttons get balky then they suddenly start working jumping the choice down two or three items on the display. I'm trying to determine if someone has the answer whether to replace or have a tech rebuild it. There's a guy on Ebay offering that service.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
We had this happen to our new FC. We took it to the dealer for this and other service and he said some water hadpooled at the connection area of the roof and shorted everything out. Got it back yesterday and all seems well.
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
We found a guy on Ebay that rebuilds/refurbishes them for $110 exchange, so we went that route. It took about 3 days to get the refurbished unit in and installed. Worked perfectly even if a little pricey.