Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Thermostat

I normally have the AS in my heated garage before cold weather hits, but this year we are using it as a casitas as we are hosting family Thanksgiving. We have had overnight temperatures in the mid 30s this week with daytime temps in the mid 50s. I set the thermostat at 55 to start warming the trailer. While cleaning I broke for lunch today and when I returned the rear AC was running with the thermostat set for furnace. I checked zone 2 and found the AC temp set to 71 with the inside temp at 76. Am I correct in assuming that if the mode is set for furnace, zone 2 will continue to operate the A/C independently? Should I set zone 2 to off or set the temp well below what ambient could reach during the day to keep the A/C from starting?

One note of interest is the shore power is through a 75’ 14 gauge extension plugged into a 20 amp circuit. I am surprised the breaker didn’t trip!
Old 11-20-2018, 01:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
. . .
One note of interest is the shore power is through a 75’ 14 gauge extension plugged into a 20 amp circuit. I am surprised the breaker didn’t trip!
A dangerous situation IMO. It is likely that your 2 AC units are getting very low voltage, may not work right, and could be permanently damaged.

I would have a licensed electrician check everything out ASAP, as that breaker should have tripped already IMO. How old is the panel? On the other hand, maybe you can't get 20 amps flowing through a #14 cord?

Have you checked that extension cord, the outlet, and the panel for overheating etc.?

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
A dangerous situation IMO. It is likely that your 2 AC units are getting very low voltage, may not work right, and could be permanently damaged.

I would have a licensed electrician check everything out ASAP, as that breaker should have tripped already IMO. How old is the panel? On the other hand, maybe you can't get 20 amps flowing through a #14 cord?

Have you checked that extension cord, the outlet, and the panel for overheating etc.?

Peter
Thanks. The A/C wasn't on very long, but I shut it down immediately and didn't think to check the heat on the extension cord. I was just surprised that the unit started and didn't trip the breaker. The circuit is from my shop and I know the breaker is good as I have tripped it with shop equipment.

I thought the selection of "Furnace" on the thermostat which can only be done on Zone 1 would disable any other selection on Zone 2, but apparently not from the way this behaved. I have selected Zone 2 and "Off" then back to Zone 1 for "Furnace" which is probably the correct procedure.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
If the stat is set to auto, will the furnace come on when it's too cold for the heat pump or do I need to just set for furnace?
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareaglewalt View Post
If the stat is set to auto, will the furnace come on when it's too cold for the heat pump or do I need to just set for furnace?
Question covered in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ght=thermostat