Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Amherst , Virginia
the big bang!

Pardon me for asking again...I know I read somewhere in the 40,000 hours of reading thru these posts (exaggeration, I know...but I'm on dialup...going thru the questions takes HOURS in the wee hours of the night and can seriously affect your work the next day!) about those of you that had flame throwing/big bang results....

When the family-member-technician came last weekend to look at our furnace, he tried to start it and stated that it didn't ignite. Then 5 minutes later it let out a BANG! that made the three of us in the living room jump a good foot! He seemed really surprised and tried to start it again...only to have another BANG!...after which I vacated the trailer..

I cannot find the posts where that was discussed and others had a BANG!...what was the problem...apparently the fan must have come on as the propane was there (built up) and the ignitor must have ignited as it made a good ole BANG!, so what's wrong??

I promise I will not continue to ask dumb questions, as, after you answer this one, I'm turning it over to the technician...why the heck he thinks I can get online and find all the answers /parts is beyond me...I don't think he is a computer-type. Just point me in the right direction and I'll sic him on it.

IMO he was just too fast to strip it all down and remove the furnace without testing any connections, etc....after the bangs he just disassembled it and took it all apart.

Susan
who feels like even in old age maybe she should enroll in an HVAC class at the Community College...I can build computers (even prior to Windos) and rebuild sewing machines with the best, so why do furnaces intimidate me so?
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
What I suspect is the spark to start the gas burning is sparking to the side and not in line with the gas valve (across the flow of gas).
This can be a simple matter of dust or dirt blocking the correct path.

When the first attempt to light the spark fires but the gas does not ignite after a set time the furnace tries again this can happen several times until the residual gas from the earlier attempts does burn (explodes) at this time the furnace may or may not stay lit.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Those big bangs, what ever the cause, could have damaged your heat exchanger and that can be deadly. I'd let an expert take a look. I thought my furnace was OK, just needing a little adjustment. I pulled it and took it to a buddy's shop who is in the HVAC business. He found the heat exchanger cracked. After he showed me, I could see the problem but I had missed it. Ask a pro on heaters, it may be the best money you ever sent.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Amherst , Virginia
This guy IS supposed to be a pro---he and his Dad and brother own one of the most respected HVAC firms in this area, and he says they are fairly simple units and that he works on them all the time...he just took it apart and then reeled off a list of what I needed to find on the internet...and some, like the valve, I cannot find. MarksRV.com is the only place I have found some parts to the NT32...but not the valve. This is frustrating!
Susan
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Susan,

Maybe an RV "wrecker" might have the parts you need. In some areas of the country, the furnace would rarely if ever be used.

I don't have any links to them on this computer, but perhaps other readers could suggest site names.

Good luck with your searcg,

Aage
Old 09-14-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
List of salvage sources.

RV Salvage Sources

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I had the same problem on my NT30 furnace. In my case I found the gasket between the igniter and the front of the furnace was faulty. A new gasket was just a couple of bucks and fixed the problem.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
maybe its time for a new one

Its fun to restore old equiptment, but when it comes to old furnaces maybe a new modern furnace might be the way to go.

Don

Suburban NT Furnace
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote