Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Suburban Furnace Selection

While I have the interior pulled apart I am going to go ahead na replace the furnace in my AS. I have read up some and it appears the Suburban NT-30SP is the replacement model for my AS...correct? I see that some have recommended upsizing to the NT-34NT for the extra heat. It appears that some are not getting sufficient heat back in the bedroom area. Reading the Suburban site it looks like the amp draw is much higher for the 34. The site says 4.5amps for the NT-30 and 7.5 for the NT-34. That's almost twice the amp draw for 4k more btuh's. So my question is, is the additional 3.5amp draw increase worth it to achieve the additional 4l btuh's? I assume the greater amp draw is due to a larger blower which would help with air circulation if sufficient heat is not being moved to the rear of the trailer.
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Md a general rule is 1000 btu`s per lineal ft of trailer so a 34000 btu would suit your trailer better. Unless you plan on spendinga lot of time boondocking in cold weather when the furnace is needed then don`t worry about the amp draw. By redoing the ducting,sealing them properly.keeping the flexible duct taut and adding an addtional run to the rear you should be fine. I full timed in mine with a NT-34 and had no problems.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Md a general rule is 1000 btu`s per lineal ft of trailer so a 34000 btu would suit your trailer better. Unless you plan on spendinga lot of time boondocking in cold weather when the furnace is needed then don`t worry about the amp draw. By redoing the ducting,sealing them properly.keeping the flexible duct taut and adding an addtional run to the rear you should be fine. I full timed in mine with a NT-34 and had no problems.
Thanks Chris. I did see that the existing duct was very poorly sealed and routed. I do plan to reseal the metal duct and replace the flex. The flex that serves the tank areas is very restrictive and probably causes a great deal of static pressure loss. I would prefer the larger heater and will likely go for that one.
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
MD here is a link to a supplier for furnace ducting.
DWIncorp.com Flexible Heat Duct
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote