Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
saint augustine , Florida
suburban furnace redo or new ?

so as winter approaches i have began work on my suburban NT30MA. so far the blower is fine. gas is coming up to the flange nut as it enters the furnace. but no click, and no ignition. i pulled out the inner relay and found a broken wire harness and another cord running to the igniter completely disconnected. happy to have found a possible quick fix soon let me down,as i cannot find a replacement wire harness. the guy at the RV place tells me the relay board is from a atwood water heater and does not even belong there. i'm includeing some photos of the bad switch and the heater itself. is it worth to replace what i can, pull it out and bench test or buy a new one. more questions, what's the best way to get that sucker outta there. does anyone know what type of furnace ican install into that same space? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	753.5 KB
ID:	88200   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0399.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	88201  

happypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypill View Post
so as winter approaches i have began work on my suburban NT30MA. so far the blower is fine. gas is coming up to the flange nut as it enters the furnace. but no click, and no ignition. i pulled out the inner relay and found a broken wire harness and another cord running to the igniter completely disconnected. happy to have found a possible quick fix soon let me down,as i cannot find a replacement wire harness. the guy at the RV place tells me the relay board is from a atwood water heater and does not even belong there. i'm includeing some photos of the bad switch and the heater itself. is it worth to replace what i can, pull it out and bench test or buy a new one. more questions, what's the best way to get that sucker outta there. does anyone know what type of furnace ican install into that same space? thanks
Thirty years is a long time for any appliance.

You can install a Suburban NT-32.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
You may be hard pressed to find parts or anyone to work on your oldie. My experience is most service guys won't touch em for liability reasons.

If it is similar to my suburban, which it probably is, you take off the outside trim, disconnect the gas, remove a couple of screws holding the guts to the cabinet and slide out the furnace. Then there are a few more screws holding the cabinet to the floor.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I agree- get a new one, and you'll have no worries. Or, if you don't travel north during the colder months, or if you are usually plugged into shore power, just get rid of it and/or get an electric space heater or 2. I got rid of my furnace, and don't miss it at all.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Get a fresh one; most new units will slide into the existing cabinet.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I agree, get a new one. Will be money well spent. I spend a couple of days with my old NT-22. After all the trouble shooting and getting it to run on the bench I had an HVAC guy look at it. He found a hole in the heat exchanger (not the crossover that was the cause of the recall, that had been retrofitted and was fine). I missed it and it could have been fatal.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I'd replace the factory board at the same time: Suburban boards don't last long; if a couple of years.

Dinosaur Electronics Home. High quality circuit boards for RV appliances.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
_

. , .
make mine piezo...

who makes the best pizza pie in st augustine?

as i recall it's a little place just south of anastasia s.p.

anyway, BUY A NEW FURNACE.

the risks are too great with the old one, IF you plan to use it.

cracks that let CO in, internally old/brittle wiring, die'n fans and so on...

besides the new models are auto start (piezo-electric) and come with a warranty.

those pizza ovens are 550 degrees, toasty!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote