Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Lemon Grove , California
Stupid LP Detector!

Ok, we've had our trailer for 3 years now and ever since about our third trip out we've had repeated, random LP detector alerts... it's been checked, rechecked, checked again, rechecked again and yet again at our Eugene dealership. They keep finding no problem, and no actual lp leaks.

This *#%! thing usually tends to "alert" us with it's extremely loud (single) beep sometime in the middle of the night. The fault light is on, there will be several intermittent beeps, then it stops. On one of our trips the thing kept going off and we actually disconnected it... again, the dealer could find no problem. Their theory is that it can go off due to aerosols such as hair spray or perfumes.. uh, no. And especially not at 3am!

What the heck? It's at the dealer now, we are asking (again) to have it replaced and they are dragging their feet saying they can't find a problem.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
At night whan a racoon is walking by, and farts...

We have maybe 30 of these at work, always giving off false signals...drives us crazy
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
They will go off if an aerosol can is sprayed in the trailer, and probably a variety of chemical odors.

Doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
we were camping on time and my sister inlaw sprayed her shoes with lysol spray and it set off the lp detector
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Same Problem Experienced Here

We have had the same problem. The high pitched alarm seems to completely un-nerve our two Jack Russell Terriers. After randomly experiencing the same problem on several occassions ... and in the middle of the night as well ... I cut the wires this weekend. Today I scheduled a service appointment to take the unit in. It will be interesting to see what they find. I'll let you know if we have any success in identifying the problem.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Lemon Grove , California
Yeah, one of our two dogs is also terrified by the pitch of the alarm, begins shaking and freaking out... and since it almost always goes off in the middle of the night it's just awful trying to get up to even begin dealing with it!

What's so frustrating is that our dealer just keeps repeating that it works as designed, they can't find a problem. Ugh. We are tempted as well to just disconnect it but is that really our only option?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Lemon Grove , California
And again re: aerosols. I don't think there is even anything in an aerosol can in our trailer.

This is happening randomly, usually in the middle of the night. The heater may or may not be in use, it's happened both ways. We always sleep with windows cracked, the overhead fan is also open and often on as well... lots of ventilation.

The "fault" light on the front the the LP detector is lit, it's a intermittent rather than solid beep. VERY LOUD, repeats several times then stops.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I usually get up first in the morning. It takes giving the dogs a lot of attention to keep them from raising reveille for the whole trailer. I've found if i sit on the floor and don't pay attention -- any part of my body, foot or whatever blocking the intake grid at the LP detector will cause it to go off.

Here's a scratch 'n' sniff of my smartwool socks if you wanna try it out...
Attached Images

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Hmmm ... maybe it's time to just replace???

The input on the following thread suggests that these things need to be replaced every 5 years. Maybe this is the solution?

Ours is approaching 5 years old.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ing-77077.html
Old 05-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Most interesting thread because the PO cut the red wire of ours, too. I've reconnected it. We've only been out 15 nights so far, but the green light stays on and no interruptive noises. 12 years old, OEM.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Many people do not know two facts about these types of detectors...

1. Smoke will destroy the unit! I have been told that many trailers will fill up with smoke parked next to a camp fire, this or even smoking in the trailer will make the unit not work!

2. There is a shelf life to this type of unit!!! Fireman will tell you they are only good for 24-36 months and then start to go bad! At $$$ a pop it is good to be safe than sorry but it's the cost of having safe trailer!

REPLACE IT!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Where to Purchase?

I would like to purchase one of the same dimension as my current detector. But can't seem to find any LP detectors for sale on any of the websites of the vendors that are on these forums??? I found one on the Camping World website but it's not the same dimensions. That won't look good as a replacement. I checked the Airstream website ... and of course nothing there ... I guess we're supposed to go through Authorized Airstream Dealers for parts???
Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
OK, I will replace. I, also, would be grateful for leads where to buy a top quality one.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1971 27' Overlander
2004 25' Safari
Jourdanton , Texas
Frank,

I got my last one on the net from PPL Motorhomes in Houston.

Jim
Prickly Pear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thanks for the information Jim. I'm on their site now. Wow, they have a huge selection.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
PPL... Has them and at a fare Price!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Our you sure it is the lp detector? I thoughtmine was bad also and cut the wires. Did not solve the problem as it was the co detector on the ceiling above that had a low battery. Explain that to the dealer as he says they have seen customers do that before. We had a good laugh! jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Lemon Grove , California
Oh yes, absoluuuutely the lp detector!

We are TRYING to get the dealer to replace the unit (we bought that dang extended warranty, you know!) since it's been malfunctioning since year one and we just had her three year "birthday"... if that doesn't happen I suppose we will just disconnect until we can replace it ourselves.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have been the contrarian on this for a while.

I don't believe that propane detectors in RVs have a significant safety benefit. I've removed mine, and while I was originally going to reinstall it, I have decided against it.

CO and smoke detectors have a clear life safety benefit. There are tragic deaths every year in RVs due to CO poisoning and fire.

Not so with propane leaks.

In yachts propane is much more of a problem because it sinks and there's no place for it to go except the bilge, and the bilge is in many cases an odoriferous place where the warning odor of propane goes unnoticed. In an RV the piping is under the trailer and so most leaks vent outside where they do no harm. In most Airstreams the only place where the propane line comes into an area that is vented to the interior and not to the outside is the range.

And there just isn't any evidence that RVs burn due to propane leaks. They by and large burn due to electrical problems, collisions, people smoking cigarettes in bed, and occasionally, refrigerator failures and arson.

Someone will be along shortly to explain that I'm a hazard to the camping public. Probably someone who doesn't believe in fancy anti-sway hitches or high buck brake controllers. Go figure.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
The Safe T Alert model 41-441WT (surface mount) is also on sale on Amazon, at $52.75 including shipping; does anyone know if these can be turned 45 degrees so that it will fit between the furnace and the edge of the cabinet?

Mine is acting up as well. Must be a conspiracy of the LP detectors.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote