Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2007, 02:58 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
SS Frame Argosy in slow progress.

Good morning fellow members;
It is mid September, and unusually busy boating season has slowed down somewhat. We have been able to paint the exterior of our 26' Argosy. The choice of colors was kept close to the original. Top to the belt line was done in Pettit Marine Easypoxy [Off White], and below the belt line is in Pettit Easypoxy [Grand Banks Beige]. After much sanding of the original paint, bare spots were primed with Interlux Vinyl Wash [good aluminum etching primer]. Within four hours first coat, Easypoxy was applied with a Wooster 8" 3/16" nap mohair roller. Since none of the marker lights were yet installed it was a easy job. Remembering the tricks and my retention of skills from some forty years ago while painting wooden boats, paid off. Paint job turned out to be spectacular, just like it was professionally sprayed on. There are many tricks in order to obtain the beautiful finish, and for those who would like to try it, PM me. I have purchased six sheets of 4' x 10' anodized aluminum for the belly pan, and already have new plastic banana wraps. That will be fitted in December and installed last, in the Spring. After reading many posts in reference to suspension, I decided to install shock absorbers. So, there goes another couple of day's just to remove the axles and weld on shock brackets.

Mid December we will be shutting down our Service Facilities, while the retail store will remain open. Shutting down will eliminate any possibility of interruption in finishing the project by March 2008. At this point the fourteen sheets of Okume Marine Plywood needs to be varnished before cutting and fitting of the interior can begin in December. The only appliance we saved is the refrigerator. All others will be replaced with new, and here is my problem with which I need help.

My Argosy had no Air Conditioner and I would like to install one. The wiring was installed new and the drain tube is in proper place. The question is, which unit would be best suited for my application? As of yet there is no cut out in the roof. Second is the issue with the furnace. Which brand and model would allow me an easy fit to present location of the old unit? Most likely I will not spend time in the desert and do not wish to maximize the capacities. Any input on those issues will be greatly appreciated. Next time I will post pics. Thank you, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
Good morning fellow members;
It is mid September, and unusually busy boating season has slowed down somewhat. We have been able to paint the exterior of our 26' Argosy. The choice of colors was kept close to the original. Top to the belt line was done in Pettit Marine Easypoxy [Off White], and below the belt line is in Pettit Easypoxy [Grand Banks Beige]. After much sanding of the original paint, bare spots were primed with Interlux Vinyl Wash [good aluminum etching primer]. Within four hours first coat, Easypoxy was applied with a Wooster 8" 3/16" nap mohair roller. Since none of the marker lights were yet installed it was a easy job. Remembering the tricks and my retention of skills from some forty years ago while painting wooden boats, paid off. Paint job turned out to be spectacular, just like it was professionally sprayed on. There are many tricks in order to obtain the beautiful finish, and for those who would like to try it, PM me. I have purchased six sheets of 4' x 10' anodized aluminum for the belly pan, and already have new plastic banana wraps. That will be fitted in December and installed last, in the Spring. After reading many posts in reference to suspension, I decided to install shock absorbers. So, there goes another couple of day's just to remove the axles and weld on shock brackets.

Mid December we will be shutting down our Service Facilities, while the retail store will remain open. Shutting down will eliminate any possibility of interruption in finishing the project by March 2008. At this point the fourteen sheets of Okume Marine Plywood needs to be varnished before cutting and fitting of the interior can begin in December. The only appliance we saved is the refrigerator. All others will be replaced with new, and here is my problem with which I need help.

My Argosy had no Air Conditioner and I would like to install one. The wiring was installed new and the drain tube is in proper place. The question is, which unit would be best suited for my application? As of yet there is no cut out in the roof. Second is the issue with the furnace. Which brand and model would allow me an easy fit to present location of the old unit? Most likely I will not spend time in the desert and do not wish to maximize the capacities. Any input on those issues will be greatly appreciated. Next time I will post pics. Thank you, "Boatdoc"
Furnace.........Suburban NT30SP.

AC.............Carrier 15,000 BTU with heat. Cost a little more than the 13,500 unit, but you will appreciate it on that hot day. We do not go for the heat pump models. Way too inefficient.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Hello Boatdoc,
I wouldlove to read more on your painting techniques.
CompuServe.Com
I, too, vote for the Carrier 1500. I like my heat pump units fine, however, so I don't know exactly what the inefficiency problem would be.
Unless I'm mistaken, I think the framing for the A/C is already in the roof, isn't it? The holes required for mounting are all the same. Actually, a pretty straight forward easy installation.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
This is only a 13500 unit but I've been looking real hard at this unit 70-3000 sleeper system
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
This is only a 13500 unit but I've been looking real hard at this unit 70-3000 sleeper system
That does look interesting. Where would you attach it? Roof, floor, end wall? Looks like you may have to fabricate some cowlings. I like the idea of standard automotive parts. How much cost it?
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce
That does look interesting. Where would you attach it? Roof, floor, end wall? Looks like you may have to fabricate some cowlings. I like the idea of standard automotive parts. How much cost it?
Well it not exactly cheap at 2100 bucks, thats the down side. The upside is it is completly servicable, the evaporator can be mounted any where, the compresser can be mounted anywhere, and the condenser can be mounted anywhere that it can be exhausted outside or outside.

Kip
Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Area Cooled?

Quote:
Is this thing designed to cool anything larger than a sleeper cab in a semi? That's a lot fewer cubic feet than an Airstream.

I've known a few people to use the portable roll-around units in their SOB's. We have an "Amcor" brand one in our phone/computer room at work - and it turns an 18x14 room with 9ft ceilings downright chilly. It uses a flexible exhaust hose that looks like it would fit right into the bathroom ceiling vent. It stands less that 3 ft tall and takes up a bit over 1 sq ft of floor space. You could leave it home for spring and fall trips, strap it down in the bath while traveling and use it only when needed.

BTW on a totally UNRELATED subject, why the heck isn't the bathroom vent connected to a wall switch? Without being too indelicate, when one realizes one is REALLY going to need the fan (to cover unpleasant noise as well as remove certain biological scents) one is usually already seated in a situation where standing again would not be a good idea. If you haven't finished remodeling your bath, consider this mod.

Paula
Old 09-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
Well it not exactly cheap at 2100 bucks, thats the down side. The upside is it is completly servicable, the evaporator can be mounted any where, the compresser can be mounted anywhere, and the condenser can be mounted anywhere that it can be exhausted outside or outside.

Kip
How about a trip to the junk yard? Late model burb airconditionar and and electric motor to operate the compressor. Aditional fan for the condenser and some sheet metal. Burb has a lot of glass and high heat load, think it would work?
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
How about a trip to the junk yard? Late model burb airconditionar and and electric motor to operate the compressor. Aditional fan for the condenser and some sheet metal. Burb has a lot of glass and high heat load, think it would work?
Any thing is possible if you throw enough time money and effort into it. I know just enough about air conditioning to be really dangerous. Interesting idea though, I'll need to give it more thought. Finding the right motor or integrated motor and compressor would be the hard part.