Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2022, 03:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Soft Start on Both ACs?

I plan to install one Soft Start on the rear AC so I can cool the trailer while dry camping on a single Honda 2200i Generator.

I see lots of folks on the forum that say they have Soft Starts/Easy Starts on both ACs on 50 amp trailers. Just wondering if there's a good reason besides redundancy for installing on both units?
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 03:24 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Foothill Ranch , California
It depends on your specific situation.

We have two AC and soft start on both of them. Even though both share the same ducted system, when we were camping in the desert during the heat of the day a single AC couldn't keep up (very glad we'd done both right about then!)

Had no trouble running them BOTH off the LP fueled Firman we got from Costco (at the time on-sale for $100 off) https://www.costco.com/firman-3200w-...100843922.html
Mark of SJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 03:25 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
When we bought our 2020 Globetrotter used from Colonial, we had them installed on both a/c units.

One thing we were told is that the soft start extends the life of the a/c unit, so there's that.

Also, when comparing new to used, we debated getting only one a/c unit, and were told it was not a good idea, since if one has an issue and there is not another it could put an end to a nice trip.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 03:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2you View Post
I plan to install one Soft Start on the rear AC so I can cool the trailer while dry camping on a single Honda 2200i Generator.

I see lots of folks on the forum that say they have Soft Starts/Easy Starts on both ACs on 50 amp trailers. Just wondering if there's a good resign besides redundancy for installing on both units?
I have them on both so I can run whichever AC is on the end I am in. During the day, I run the one in the sitting end and at night the one on the bedroom end.

Also, having both would allow for 2 generators in parallel to run both AC units.
jeffb831 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 03:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb831 View Post
I have them on both so I can run whichever AC is on the end I am in. During the day, I run the one in the sitting end and at night the one on the bedroom end.

Also, having both would allow for 2 generators in parallel to run both AC units.

Funny we do the opposite to cut down on the noise directly above.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 03:28 PM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I have on both. Better for the compressor motor - less wear and tear.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 04:03 PM   #7
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
We have EZ Start on both. I did it primarily for the flexibility to use whichever one I wanted to use under any condition.

Considering the cost of the AS the cost of an additional EZ Start was insignificant to me.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2you View Post

I see lots of folks on the forum that say they have Soft Starts/Easy Starts on both ACs on 50 amp trailers. Just wondering if there's a good reason besides redundancy for installing on both units?
I only have one Easystart; had it installed on my 15000AC unit, as that is the largest of the 2 AC units. I does a decent job of cooling the entire coach when using my Honda 2200 propane powered Generator...works just fine. When on 50A shore power, I do sometimes do run 2 AC's typically when we first connect up in hot (95+ heat) to get us cool, when on 50A, but then move the AC job to the AC furthest from where we are "living"...rear when up front watching TV or eating; front when sleeping...after getting the coach comfortable, of course!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We did both so we could run them on a 15a circuit with the help from our battery system. Unable to run them both without some sort of generator or electrical support

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Another option is the SoftStartUp no install just plugin.
https://shop.softstartrv.com/products/softstartup
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
We put one on both. It allows us to run both on campground 30amp service (pretty typical at Texas State parks) if we turn off all other electrical loads. That is nice to cool down quickly after a drive on a hot day.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Both

I did it to protect the AC motor and help with AC longevity. The micro air will not let low or high voltage in.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Installed the Micro Air devices with Bluetooth on all three new Coleman A/C units. I was able to update the firmware on both of the Classics two 15K BTU units after installation. The 23D gets it's Coleman next week at A&P Vintage Trailer works in Paradise, TX along with conversion to Victron equipment to handle all aspects of the AC & DC power in the 23D just like we did in the Classic this spring. Victron is made in Europe vs Magnum and Xantex being made as cheaply as possible inn China.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Yea, this unit is a "game changer"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Another option is the SoftStartUp no install just plugin.
https://shop.softstartrv.com/products/softstartup
Just posted my "research" on this unit in another post here...

Saw this new Forum post today, asking about the Softstart unit which can work with your 15A house currant, your Honda 2200, or a 30A circuit at RV parks, plus it has Bluetooth to monitor usage. The reviews claim it can run both AC’s! It can also work with your existing Easystart and your surge protector. For me, I recently plugged into a 30A in Steamboat Springs, and forgot I had both AC’s on- they did not have a 50A site left…it tripped the plug in about 3 minutes; so I had to reset everything and turn off the AC, and start over with just one AC…with this unit, that would not have happened. Check it out in the video! Very cool! Below is the Youtube; second is the company site with the discount…

https://softstartup.com/choose-your-...tm_source=home
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 10-12-2022, 01:05 PM   #15
Maxine-A

2019 25' International
Tacoma , Washington
MicroAir Easystart Bluetooth

I installed easystarts on both AC units. The Bluetooth option is handy for instant status of Live Current. More efficient starts, possible protection increasing AC durability, option of utilizing both or either one, redundancy in case of failure of one, and like you stated, ability to use one 2200i although I have two with the Hutch Mountain propane conversions. After suffering thru the installation of the main AC easystart, the second installation was a breeze, much like any other task with a learning curve. Have yet to run on generators as no need thus far in my limited travels, just great to know that I have options. Happy Camping...J
Silver Ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine-A View Post
I installed easystarts on both AC units. The Bluetooth option is handy for instant status of Live Current. More efficient starts, possible protection increasing AC durability, option of utilizing both or either one, redundancy in case of failure of one, and like you stated, ability to use one 2200i although I have two with the Hutch Mountain propane conversions. After suffering thru the installation of the main AC easystart, the second installation was a breeze, much like any other task with a learning curve. Have yet to run on generators as no need thus far in my limited travels, just great to know that I have options. Happy Camping...J
Yea, I hear you....we only used our Honda once this year for charging batteries; not running the AC. What I like about this Softstart "plug & play" pigtail with the softstart in it, was the ability to use with 15A to run both AC's that was shown in the video...that gives way to several possibilities when traveling in summer... Not sure I need to spend $500+ right now with winter coming on, but considering this one for sure. I only have 1 Easystart installed on my 15000AC unit..it works fine using the one AC most places, but 2 AC's really helps out when it is 95-100+ in mid summer, especially when in humid climates.
Old 10-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
DFW Airport , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Yea, I hear you....we only used our Honda once this year for charging batteries; not running the AC. What I like about this Softstart "plug & play" pigtail with the softstart in it, was the ability to use with 15A to run both AC's that was shown in the video...that gives way to several possibilities when traveling in summer... Not sure I need to spend $500+ right now with winter coming on, but considering this one for sure. I only have 1 Easystart installed on my 15000AC unit..it works fine using the one AC most places, but 2 AC's really helps out when it is 95-100+ in mid summer, especially when in humid climates.
Please confirm that you can start and run 2 ACs from 15 amps? They are either small ACs or you are getting far more than 15 amps. They take about 11 amps each to start with EZ or MicroAir and more in hot weather. Each draws about 7/8 amps to run when new which is if it does not pop a breaker will cause most Gfis to pop at 15/17 amps.
Vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:36 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlamgat View Post
Please confirm that you can start and run 2 ACs from 15 amps? They are either small ACs or you are getting far more than 15 amps. They take about 11 amps each to start with EZ or MicroAir and more in hot weather. Each draws about 7/8 amps to run when new which is if it does not pop a breaker will cause most Gfis to pop at 15/17 amps.
The Softstartup supports up to 30 amps. But also, no more than 30 amps! So it might not be ideal for a trailer designed around a 50 amp feed if you have a lot of other load to deal with. We have one and it works great for our 30A Caravel. And was literally plug and play.
RickBullotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 02:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We got our trailer rewired and set up with a control system that we can tell the charge controller how much to pull from shore power. Any additional power needs come from our 4 lithium batteries.

So on 15a, we can end up running 4 or 6 hours of both ACs. Which was more than enough to get at least the rear cold enough to just run one AC with the second kicking on occasionally. +90 outside in FL this summer and about 76 inside the airstream on 15a.

Batteries would be close to cooked though as the day progressed. We ended up moving to 30a to ensure we didn’t kill our batteries.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlamgat View Post
Understand, and I do not have one...yet! But, did you watch the 2 different video Youtubes I posted? The one talks about running multiple AC's as I heard it mentioned a couple times. I know they are working on a 50A version, is what they told me when I called their tech support, but the guy also told me the 30A works fine with the 15A house plug and they show the step down pigtail. I agree, I would want to check it out with the 30A for more than a few minuets, but if it can run 2 and not trip the breaker, thats pretty impressive. I did run my 2 AC's recently as I mentioned, for just a few min, at a KOA with 30A, before it tripped the breakers, so I understand the issue for sure.