Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Sharp Convection/Microwave failure

We have a brand new 25-FB equipped with a Sharp Convection/Microwave combination oven. During our shakedown cruise, we discovered that the Microwave part of the oven is DOA.

The dealer hasn't any idea what could be wrong. I suppose we will have to have it replaced under warranty, but would like to know beforehand whether there is something simple that might be done to get it working.

Has anyone else had this problem or know the fix? Thanks in advance.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

If the control panel is functional (accepts commands) it is most likely the magnetron tube. It is possible that the magnetron has a bad connection. But hay, if it under warranty get them to install a new microwave.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
We thought the microwave portion of our combo oven was underperforming, as it could not fully pop microwave popcorn. Seemed to take a long time to warm other items too. We removed it out and took it to a local repairshop, they said they found nothing wrong, but they did replace the magnetron tube. We reinstalled and it seemed to function better, but still did not do a good job on popcorn (can't watch a movie without popcorn).

We then found that you may need to remove the metal turntable pan (suggested in the manual) and put a inverted oven-safe glass pie pan over the turntable rollers to get the microwave to fully function. It now does a passable job on popcorn. When all else failed, we had to read the instructions....
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
If the control panel is functional (accepts commands) it is most likely the magnetron tube. It is possible that the magnetron has a bad connection. But hay, if it under warranty get them to install a new microwave.
When our oven was not working correctly, I had the unit at Jackson Center (for some minor fit & finish items) and asked for the oven to be replaced and they flatly refused. Said they were not a factory authorized repair agent for Sharp. I was told I would need to remove it myself and get it fixed.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
We had plenty of time on our shakedown cruise to do what for me is a rare occurance namely reading the mauals. I was surprised to see special attention paid to popping corn.

The microwave in ordinary use is simply a matter of putting in the number of minutes and seconds and pushing start. We tried simply heating water, which in our microwave at home is a two minute task. 10 minutes of cooking time in the Sharp microwave produced not a BTU.

We've reported the problem to the dealer, but I like the suggestion of finding some place closer. Our dealer is 90 miles away and won't keep the trailer on site while the parts or replacement are ordered and awaiting delivery.

I think that they should just get a replacement model and call us when it is ready to be installed and not go through the bother of back and forth hauling of the oven's house.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 01-01-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
Popcorn

We have a new Airstream and the popcorn just doesn't cook right.

After reading the replies - I looked at the instruction book, which does say to put a pie plate on turntable. Well, I will try that, because the popcorn is taking 4+ minutes and not cooking fully. And coffee, reheating is more than 1 minute!!! Oh well, we love her anyway!
Old 01-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #7
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
We also have an ’06 25 Ft. Safari, w/ a Sharp uWave oven. Don’t know if we’re lucky or what but we had no serious problems with the Off-the-shelf units in general. One thing I learned to do years ago is to read all the user manuals. And after reading “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” by Robert Pirsig, it confirmed my need to read operating instructions. It has been at least 30 years now, so maybe I should find my copy and reread it. As someone said on this AS Forum:
Once you figure out how to do it, the instructions actually make sense.
But now that I think about it- -maybe we never poped pop corn in it.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
JStanley,

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" A book read by countless people and completely read by few, I suspect. I may still have my copy around here somewhere.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D