Old 11-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Replacement of AC pan with drip cups

Our 2006 Bambi 19' had the old style plastic pan that the AC unit (11K Dometic Penguin) sat on. It was supposed to catch and drain condensation from the AC unit, but since it had numerous cracks more water ended up on the floor than in the drain system. So the pan needed to be replaced. AS now uses the Dometic cup system to catch and drain condensate.

I bought the parts recommended by AS through the local AS dealer (Lazydays). The drain cup kit and gasket set cost about $50, but the shipping (which must be marked up by AS) doubled the cost. And they wonder why we like Amazon!

I thought about doing this project myself, but given that the AC unit weighs about 100lbs and the roof is easily damaged, I decided to have Richard at Oasis RV in Tucson do the work. Oasis was once an AS dealer, but that franchise went to Lazydays
RV when they opened a facility in Tucson. Lazydays also does AS service but have a rather poor reputation so I chose Oasis. Oasis is without a doubt one of the most rundown and dumpy RV shops I have seen... no exaggeration! But Richard knows his stuff. And he allows me to watch what is being done as long as I stay out of his way and don't pester him with questions. I like that. "Black box" RV service centers where customers are kept in the waiting room give me an uneasy feeling.

Anyway, I took some pics to show how Richard did the job. It took him just over 2 hours. With a new shroud ($140) and an AC cleaning ($90) the bill was just under $500. Not cheap, but reasonable. Plus Richard found that the AC unit was mixing cold air with room temperature air and sealed up the system with metal tape. I would not have noticed that problem.

Richard just used a ladder climb onto the roof from the awning side. He has probably been on 1000s of AS roofs and I trust him not to damage anything. After the AC unit was removed and placed on a thick carpet covering the solar panel, he removed the pan by prying and cutting away the caulk. That took about 45 minutes.

He then rolled the AC unit over and placed the gaskets. Richard only uses one layer of gaskets. He thinks the AS curved roof provides enough clearance for the cups with one gasket layer. The layout of the drain tubing is close to what Dometic suggests. He used an "L" fitting to connect the "T" to the drain hose so there is little chance of it kinking.

I have yet to test the drain system, but will when we get a bit more humidity. It is currently about 25%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air conditioner pan.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	327221   Click image for larger version

Name:	pan removed.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	327222  

Name:	applying the gaskets.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	327223   Click image for larger version

Name:	drain plumbing and caulking.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	327224  

Name:	elbow to drain tube.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	327225   Click image for larger version

Name:	sealed cold air duct.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	327226  

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Nicely done and this is great information added to the Airstream knowledge-base that is these forums.

I'm getting ready to replace my Penguin I with a new NXT Blizzard on my '07 27FB. When ordering the A/C, I didn't add any drip pan/cup or gaskets. Not sure if the new A/C unit comes with any of these things, and I would like to replace, rather than reuse the parts that are already there.

Do you have part numbers or links to any of these things?
Old 11-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
Part numbers

Here is what I got from AS....

"Hi George,

We no longer carry the AC pan. It has been replaced by the Dometic AC drip cups and AC gasket kit.

PN 203722-gasket kit

PN 203724 AC drip cup.

You can order Parts through any Airstream dealer. Dealer list attached.
Thanks!
Sarah Wallace
Airstream Parts Dept.
937-596-6111 ext 7436

You might want to contact AS parts directly and provide your VIN so they can make sure these numbers are correct for your trailer and new AC unit.

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Nice! Good luck with everything and I hope your condensation is drained to the wheel well properly instead of onto your floor. We don't normally enough humidity to even have condensation, but when we do, it's best to drain where it's supposed to.

Glad you chose Oasis. They are our go-to shop for our Bambi. No one else has ever worked on it. Unfortunately, yes, the physical shop is a dump .. but their Airstream expertise is not lacking and Richard is great. We send folks to them on a regular basis, and we've never had any bad reviews.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair & PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote