Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Repairing Original AC 1971

We are slowly restoring a 1971 International. Several months ago we turned the AC on (it had been 15+ years since we had turned it on). No cool air came out but it was blowing. Then we discovered that the fan on the outside unit wasn't spinning. We tapped it with a stick and it took off and we suddenly had cool air inside. The problem was, the AC would blow cold for maybe 20 to 30 seconds (I don't remember exactly how long), then it wild blow room temperature air, then cold again.

I have replaced an entire AC system in a car before (all from YouTube videos), and I know being low on freon can cause this and also some sort of switch being bad can cause it. I'm not an AC expert, but I'm wondering if with some guidance here I can maybe figure out the problem. A few weeks ago I replaced the motor and capacitor on my home heat pump/AC. So if anyone here has anything they could help me get pointed in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.
2.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Willis , Texas
Can you hear the compressor kicking (turning/engaging) on?
72 tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tradewind View Post
Can you hear the compressor kicking (turning/engaging) on?
Yes, the compressor cycles on and off.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
after 15 years the start cap should be changed they dry out, the fan bearings also
dry out change fan motor for a start.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:38 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
Clean the coil...I have never seen a charge port on a RV a/c unit. It can be done but you will have to cut the low pressure line and sweat a fitting in. Be sure to purge the system good before filling to keep moisture out.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
The old ones are pretty bullet proof. Oil the motor and blow out the evap coil
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The original, two part, Bay Breeze air conditioners Airstream installed on their coaches long ago had a charge port. I suspect you have the original unit; feel free to post a picture for confirmation.

I am one of 6 people (that I know of) that are dedicated to keeping a vintage Airstream's air conditioner operational. While not inexpensive, it's been a neat ride. No plans to stop.

Details of everything I have done on AC over the last 13 years can be found at the link in my signature.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
The original, two part, Bay Breeze air conditioners Airstream installed on their coaches long ago had a charge port. I suspect you have the original unit; feel free to post a picture for confirmation.

I am one of 6 people (that I know of) that are dedicated to keeping a vintage Airstream's air conditioner operational. While not inexpensive, it's been a neat ride. No plans to stop.

Details of everything I have done on AC over the last 13 years can be found at the link in my signature.

Tom
The trailer is two hours away, and I don't have a picture of it, but I did find what I think is a charge port on it.

Does anyone know what the numbers are on the capacitors? Is it possible the start capacitor is good but the run capacitor has gone bad?
Old 03-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Wrong tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7 View Post
Yes, the compressor cycles on and off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7 View Post
Does anyone know what the numbers are on the capacitors? Is it possible the start capacitor is good but the run capacitor has gone bad?
If the thermostat is set low, and the outside temperature is warm enough for AC then the compressor's thermal overload switch might be kicking in.

I do not think your unit has a run capacitor. There is definitely a start capacitor, though. You might consider taking a universal cap (like this example) with you:

http://hvacwholesaledirect.com/index...oducts_id=1834

You say the unit is cycling. Automotive ACs cycle with low refrigerant; home ACs' usually do not - their inside coils just freeze up.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Update -- my dad has a friend who has an A/C business. He doesn't deal with RVs, but he came out today to look the unit over. He tried a new capacitor even though he didn't think it was the capacitor. The compressor kicked on for a second but then went right back off. He said it's locked up. He doesn't know if the place he gets compressors through would have what we need, but he said if we can find a compressor he would install it.

We found this number on the compressor:

YCH250VA-1-A

Can someone help me in finding a compressor to replace this one?