Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Repaired Armstrong myself, so I have to brag!

A split had developed in the 3/8" compressor suction line, so I cut out that piece of pipe and sweated in a couple elbows with appropriate connectors. While I had it all apart, I oiled both the fan motor bearings and replaced the capacitor.

Managed to get it vacuumed and charged, and now it's making 20 degrees split across the evaporator!

In looking at this unit, it's worth keeping. These are good sturdy old units with real metal and without all the whiz-bang control boards that only die anyway.

Woo-hoo!!

And I promise the jug of R-22 off Craigslist and the used vacuum pump together didn't cost as much as an RV tech would have wanted to fix it.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Brag away! As someone who completely lacks those skills, I admire your willingness to take it on and your success!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Nice save!!!

You have my respect, even if you are a bragger!

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Good job, a little of your time, and perhaps to initiative to learn something new and vola you up and going.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks! I had just finished painting and pimping the new shroud, so I had to keep working to make it run, too.

The shroud story is here, starting at post #16: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...roud-4249.html
Old 01-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Diy

Well, as one who gets to places where there may not be much service...eg., 1762 Nature Wilde Rd, Coldwater, ON L0K 1E0, Canada, being able to DIY when things need fixing is a very good idea. Mainly, I think it is a matter of going through an algorithm to arrive at the correct solution to problems. And, even if this is done actually following a written set of instructions, it may be very time consuming, yet a lot less so than attempting to find service when none exists within 150 km.

I am certain there must be some books which are useful in this situation, or maybe one of the talented on the Air Forums can write one...... lots of talent here by my observation.

Anyway, congratulations to those who fix it themselves!

Oh, yes, the above venue was in a moho and at 11:00 PM, no water pump working.... one hour to solution.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Nice job. I am struggling with the idea if trying to fix my armstrong on the 1973 Safari vs. replacing. Blows air - just not cold. It needs a new shroud as well.
Where did you find parts?
Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Parts sourcing for A/C

The shroud came from Inland, as previously noted. Note, I picked it up at his shop, as his freight charges seem really high to me.

The R-22 came off Craigslist. It's not cheap, but it's readily available. (about $230 here - cash works real well)

I had a gauge set already, although you can get them off Amazon as well; but get a good American brand - you don't want broken hoses whipping around spewing your expensive freon. (maybe $75 or so)

My vacuum pump is also an American brand (JB Eliminator), used off Craigslist. ($100)

I got the copper tube fittings from a couple different refrigeration supply houses; URS was the most helpful. (<$10)

I had a propane torch from Hazard Fraught tools, and the solder, flux and emery cloth are simple Home Depot plumbing department items.

I think that's about it!

For comparison, folks are paying well over $1500 to have new ones installed. !!
Old 01-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Greg1410, send me a PM if you want my phone number; I'm glad to help out!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post

A split had developed in the 3/8" compressor suction line, so I cut out that piece of pipe and sweated in a couple elbows with appropriate connectors. While I had it all apart, I oiled both the fan motor bearings and replaced the capacitor.

Managed to get it vacuumed and charged, and now it's making 20 degrees split across the evaporator!

In looking at this unit, it's worth keeping. These are good sturdy old units with real metal and without all the whiz-bang control boards that only die anyway.

Woo-hoo!!

And I promise the jug of R-22 off Craigslist and the used vacuum pump together didn't cost as much as an RV tech would have wanted to fix it.

You did GOOD!!!!! as you won't find an RV tech who even knows how to fix a unit like yours, let alone have the required equipment !!!!!!!

I sold all of my HVAC stuff years ago.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
...I had a propane torch from Hazard Fraught tools, and the solder, flux and emery cloth are simple Home Depot plumbing department items...
I congratulate you on your repair because the Armstrong units are, in my opinion, worth the effort to keep in service. You can read about how mine is still in operation at the link in my signature.

A note of caution about your copper connections: Refrigeration lines are usually mated using a higher strength filler material than regular water-plumbing solder due to the SIGNIFICANTLY higher line pressure. An oxy-acetylene torch is usually required to melt the material.

The possibility exists that your new line will pull apart at the fittings.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Thumbs up

You're exactly right. I would have liked to braze the fittings, but I haven't done that and I don't have the high-temp torch or the brazing filler. The good news (I keep telling myself) is that it's a suction line instead of a discharge line.

If it blows apart, I still have 28 pounds of R-22 in the jug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
<snip>

A note of caution about your copper connections: Refrigeration lines are usually mated using a higher strength filler material than regular water-plumbing solder due to the SIGNIFICANTLY higher line pressure. An oxy-acetylene torch is usually required to melt the material.

The possibility exists that your new line will pull apart at the fittings.

Tom
Old 01-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
TomW, I read your linked blog on the A/C. You sure did a lot of work to make yours run right! That's impressive!

As noted elsewhere, (names changed to protect the guilty) Outlaw RV wanted $150 to ship the shroud from somewhere inland from LA to Phoenix. So I picked the shroud up myself at their shop in conjunction with one of my wife's cherished SoCal vacations.

BTW, going up a thousand BTUH on your compressor will push the condenser pressure higher and pull the suction pressure lower by just a little. If it runs, don't worry about it!
Old 03-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Armstrong help

I have the Armstrong TR21 12 and the fan isn't kicking on,I can hear a click when I turn down the thermostst so I'm assuming thay's the compressor. Any idea what's wrong with the unit and how can I fix it?
Appreciate any help.
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Repaired Armstrong myself, so I have to brag!

Mine did that once. A single screw had dropped out of the main relay.

It was a 15 minute fix, after taking the interior facade off, and then the underlying cover for the electrical components, the screw dropped onto the floor giving me the hint I needed to find the problem.

Don't assume the compressor yet, there are other things that can be suspect.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
FYI . . .

I just finished cleaning and checking mine out. Still works fine. By far the most time-consuming part was taking the motor off. It's a GE model, shown below. (They also put Marathon and Franklin motors in during this period.) I took it to an electric motor shop to have it checked. Just fine, they said, especially the bearings and windings. There are two small plugs that cover oil-ways (one is visible here) that probably hadn't seen oil in some time, so I figure I'm lucky on the bearings. I checked with WW Grainger and they did find a new motor that would work if needed. But I'd have to cut the two shafts to length, and the cost was over $200.00. I do have the original Armstrong a/c manual, produced in typescript form (and if need be could be copied and posted here) but thorough and very helpful as I checked out the unit. It's now back on top of the Caravanner waiting for a new shroud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arm motor.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	259194  
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
I was assuming it's a capacitor or relay but have no idea how to check them. Any ideas?
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Mike, it shouldn't be much of an issue to check a capacitor, especially since a new one should be about $15 - $20. Just replace it.

Relays will be more of an issue, unless you're familiar with electrical troubleshooting and reading schematics.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Several times my fan did not run, pulled cover inside turned fan several times, took rite off. This is a caged fan not blades, the AC is armstrong. I think it's great and works off 15 amp outlet at home and 3500 starting amps. gen. from harbor freight but can't run any thing else because maxed out for amps needed but my honda 5000 gen. will handle what ever I Want to use.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote