Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
Gambierite

1979 31' Sovereign
vancouver , BC
Removing rooftop AC unit: how?

Our airstream (79 Sovereign) is permanently setup in british columbia, but it needs a shed roof built on top of it. For a variety of reasons, we'd like the roof to be relatively close to the top of the unit. We never use the AC unit (it just doesn't get that hot =), so we're thinking about removing it.

Is there a thread somewhere on how to do an AC removal and how to patch up the hole?

(we'd move the antenna on the roof).

--david
davida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Hi David, how are things settling in on Gambier? One thought to consider, if the roof is too close to the top of the trailer, moving the trailer in the future may be very difficult, given grade changes,etc. I suspect that it is really a simple matter of pulling the unit and then framing in the void with aluminum channels to match the thickness of those used originally. Rivet and exterior skin, insulate and add an interior skin. You could re-use the remaining wires for a new light fixture. You could also add a new roof vent at this time. Maybe a Fantastic Fan?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

David, if you put "scaffold" in the search box, and opt for "posts", you will get plenty of information. I chose to build my shed so that the roof just cleared the AC when the trailer was jacked up to take the weight off the suspension. There is also a specific machine like a fork-lift which is used by professionals. However, I see in your avatar that large trees are nearby. I would sling a 6 to 1 tackle from a large bough above the AC, lift the unit a few inches, tow the trailer away, and lower the AC to the ground. The hole would receive an aluminium patch, pop-riveted in position with a bed of Vulkem.
Nick
Old 07-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
I've removed and replaced 2 units with nothing more than a long sturdy ladder and a rope.

remarkable-ac-transplant

Post No.7 shows the method.

Good luck,
Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
turner , Oregon
How to remove Armstrong AC unit

I just got a 69 Interantional that I am taking down to the bones and rebulding. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to remove the Armstrong AC unit without cutting the lines from the topside condenser to the cooling fins inside the trailer? I have the detached the cover piece from the inside cieling; should the complete unit now lift up and out through the top?
mikenason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
High altitude work for sissies...................

I'm sure Andy and the others are quite right in laying out the steps for safely walking around atop an Airstream. I also am sure that the collective experience of the group will not lead you astray.

One item clearly omitted, however, was the fact that I, for one, do not like ladders or the required 9' of altitude-- 'streamwalking, if you will. In the event there are others out there w/ similar afflictions, I offer the sure-fire system so as not to wet ones pants at altitude.

I've ordered a pair of Fantastic fans and needed a system for installation. I borrowed scaffold stuff from my neighbor who is a steel worker and is still laughing at me.

The "span" is about 8' and he suggested using an aluminum extension ladder that I own and is practically unused even though it is about 10 years old. It has two 12' pieces that I intend to lay across the chasm and use 3/4 plywood as a poor man's walk board after securing all of it together.

I can simply move the trailer fore and aft as I need to work on a different vent. Poor people have poor ways, you know.

Larry

"Turleen", the '57 Flying Cloud
Lone Jack, MO
Pop. 528
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 048.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	69396   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 050.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	69397  

Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenason View Post
I just got a 69 Interantional that I am taking down to the bones and rebulding. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to remove the Armstrong AC unit without cutting the lines from the topside condenser to the cooling fins inside the trailer? I have the detached the cover piece from the inside cieling; should the complete unit now lift up and out through the top?
I think the business end of the a/c is all on top, with just the air diffuser inside on your '69, but that was a transition year. If it is a split unit, you're going to have to take it apart to get it off the roof. If it works good now, I would really hesitate to do this (it works, don't mess with it), but can be done. Before starting to take it apart, I would find someone that will put it back together and recharge it first. I'd hate for you to remove it, only to find no one will put it back together and recharge it for you.