Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Rebuild or Replace A/C?

I have a 1976 Armstrong a/c that has a bad compressor. All things considered, should it be better to buy a new one or get the old one repaired. I can pull the old unit off and on, and as far as I know install a new one. My time is free, but I really only want to do it once and right. I would have to find a shop for repair work.
terrencecolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Check out this thread for some guidance.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76432

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
The new models are a lot more efficient than a 39 year old model.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
The new models are a lot more efficient than a 39 year old model.
Not that much and to add insult to injury the new ones are not repairable. If they quit working they get tossed and a new one installed, regardless if they are in warranty or not.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Rebuild or replace a/c

It seems to me that it is not unusual for new units to only last five years or less.

Are you sure it is the compressor itself that is bad or might it be bad capacitors or a bad relay?

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
air conditioner

The fan capacitor went out and the unit continued to run for ten minutes without the fan. After replacing the capacitor the fan worked, but the unit now only cools half as well as it used to. I don't know the compressor is bad, but am thinking that I burned some windings. I am not an electrician, nor do I know a whole lot about hvac.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrencecolp View Post
I have a 1976 Armstrong a/c that has a bad compressor. All things considered, should it be better to buy a new one or get the old one repaired. I can pull the old unit off and on, and as far as I know install a new one. My time is free, but I really only want to do it once and right. I would have to find a shop for repair work.
It has more than served a useful life. Buy a new one. Yes ; you probably burned some windings.
Howard Lefkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Your best bet, by far, would be to replace the whole AC unit.

New compressor + old components = guaranteed trouble in the not-too-distant future.

Trust me. Thinking I could save a few bucks, I've gone the "budget" route before. When dealing with refrigeration, it just doesn't pay.

Keep in mind, in terms of overall cost, there's not much difference between repair vs replace. And when you factor cost with overall performance & reliability, AC replacement is your best option.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Rebuild or Replace A/C?

Repairing the old unit, the one that lasted for forty years, instead of replacing it with one that has a designed lifespan of five years is not really being cheap.

The old Armstrongs have a simple, rugged, repairable, and reliable design of which there is no modern replacement that is even close.

Yea there is an element of risk when repairing one of these units, but there is something cool about preserving the best RV air conditioner that was ever built in America.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Rebuild or Replace A/C?

I should note that it will be easier to pay someone $2,000 to replace the a/c than to find a competent person to replace the compressor of the old unit, because unfortunately, the entire American culture has gravitated toward a disposable society.

I guess my attitude of non compliance bleeds through as defiance through many of my decisions these days.

Lol, I defy the industry that sells entirely disposable RV air conditioners!

Old 02-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #11
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I agree with Mr. Morgan to a point. The newer units aren't designed to last as long as the old ones were. The problem with a forty year old a/c unit will be the corrosion of the evaporator and condenser coil fins. You can spend a ton of money refurbing the old unit, only to have pinhole leaks start to develop in the sealed system, and I doubt you can find replacement coils for them... Maybe, but they'd probably be custom built, and stupid expensive. The only reason I would go for a refurb on the old unit is if I wanted to keep the aesthetics, or "classic" look... Which I don't care for anyways (personal thing, I know).

Newer units are more efficient by design, which will reduce the amount of current needed to run your air conditioner, or by using the same amount of energy, you will get more cooling capacity. The main weak spot you will find in the new units will be the use of plastics that will break down due to exposure to the sun, and the use of non serviceable motors for the fan motor, meaning sealed bearings, you can't oil them. I'm guesstimating the age of my replacement unit to be around the ten year mark, and the squirrel cage fan, made of plastic, cracked at the hub. A few bucks later, and an afternoons work, and I now have a metal squirrel cage replacement installed. I fully expect the new units to last longer than ten years, with a few tweaks here and there.

I personally like the look of the lower profile, more streamlined units.

So, to summarize, aesthetics, energy, sealed system... But it would be cool to take one of those old things and get it working again... I've rebuilt antique single cylinder gas engines, with the old hit/miss governor set up. Cool old engines, built to last forever, but I'd replace it with a Briggs and Stratton any day of the week if I had to do any work with it....

It's your baby, do what makes you happy!!! That's what really matters. If it makes a tingle run up your leg every time you see that old unit humming up there, then have at it!

-Red, indecisively decisive...
Old 02-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If or when the 41 year old unit craps out and it is more than just a capacitor or relay. I will be seriously looking at a split A/C unit.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:55 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
By split, do you refer to an a/c that also heats? I hadn't thought of that. That in itself is a good argument for a replacement.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #14
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
A split system is the design where there is an indoor and an outdoor unit, with the condenser and compressor located outside, and the evaporator located inside. They have "split" the system into two sections. The unit typically on a camper is known as a package unit...

-Red, letting out all the secrets...
Old 02-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #15
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrencecolp View Post
I would highly encourage you to repair the original Armstrong. It is fully repairable, unlike a new AC unit. Repair parts are available, but not necessarily easy to find. That's my free advice.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote