Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 06:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Rattling AC

A year ago I took my AS in to Gulfport for a rain leak/test and a rattle when the AC was running. They checked it out, did pressure test fixed unnecessary leaks and said rattle was a light socket and my external antenna I added on top. Hmm. A month later the leak was still there, I finally fixed it myself, and the rattle continued. Today the rattle has gotten scary. It seems as one of the fan blades is coming apart. Iíve shut it down and planning to take it to someone who can actually troubleshoot and fix something. Has anyone run into this? I did pull off top cover and check the condenser side a few months ago, but all seemed well. I suspect the evaporator fan, but it was covered at that time and I didnít know how to remove the from cover. We are living in AS full time for now so in a bind. Thx
Old 04-20-2021, 06:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
It's hard to tell about that A/C unit. It could be a mud dauber nest on or inside the squirrel cage fan. We had a mud dauber nest on our 25 footer a couple years back. That mud nest on the fan made the whole ceiling of the airstream shake and rumble.

As soon as I found it, I broke it off with a screwdriver and bingo! We were back in business.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Update. I tried to get in to the only rv service shop locally, but they were backed up. The manager gave me the name/number of a guy who might be able to help. I called and talked with him. He asked the brand and type of AC and when I told him, he said iWork on those all the time and have most any part you need! He works on high end tour buses, RVs and other stuff that use the Dometic Low profile Pinguin AC. Anyway, I took to AS to his shop, he got on it right away. Found the fan motor shaft had very excessive play and was likely causing noise. He showed me the motor I had and a newer one they were replacing them with due to reliability and quoted me a price to replace. I was ready to do it, but he suggested a simple, maybe temporary fix to keep movement down and letís do this first and see if your problem goes away. If not, then we can look at replacing motor assy or something else. Well, the simple fix seems to be keeping rattle to almost unnoticeable. Happy camper.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
It's always nice to see folks return to a thread with the results/resolution

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote