Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Lake Elsinore , California
Problem With 2nd AC unit.

Hello All, I was out at Zion NP with the Family this past week. This was our first Long Stay in our AS. Its a 2019 FB30 Bunk. The Forward A/C unit seems to not be blowing Cold Air. The unit comes on and it blows air, just not cold air. The unit worked fine on our two previous short stays at our local home RV park. The (Rear) unit worked fine. Any suggestions?
biznitch15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First clean the vents / check for birds nesting in the unit. If you have a multimeter that has a capacitor test capability, check the motor start capacitor on the compressor. The usual checks for loose wires probably would be a good idea.

If none of that fixies it, figure on a visit to an RV shop for a repair ( and be ready for that repair to be a replacement ....). The A/C unit has its own warranty. Probably worth looking into that before you head over to the repair shop.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Mobile , Georgia
Like Bob said, do the simple things first. Make sure your filters are clean, get on the roof, take the cover off the AC and clean the coils (simple water will do fine), if you can (when power is off) check your capacitors (should be two, one for the compressor and one for the condenser/evap fan). While you have all power off the trailer, check for loose/disconnected wires etc.

I'm an HVAC tech, it's frustrating to me that one of the first lines when an RV A/C is not working is prepare for replacement. It's frustrating because they're simple devices. They can be repaired (even leaks and refrigerant), the problem is unless it's a capacitor or a motor labor cost will jack the cost right up to the price of a new unit - not withstanding availability in today's market. For a 2019, if after you do the regular maintenance stuff listed above, I'd ask about warranty work. I don't know what the normal warranty period is for RV A/C's. For residential it's generally 1yr parts/labor and 5yrs parts (unregistered) and 10yrs parts for registered units.
88Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

First clean the vents / check for birds nesting in the unit. If you have a multimeter that has a capacitor test capability, check the motor start capacitor on the compressor. The usual checks for loose wires probably would be a good idea.

If none of that fixies it, figure on a visit to an RV shop for a repair ( and be ready for that repair to be a replacement ....). The A/C unit has its own warranty. Probably worth looking into that before you head over to the repair shop.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Limited View Post
Like Bob said, do the simple things first. Make sure your filters are clean, get on the roof, take the cover off the AC and clean the coils (simple water will do fine), if you can (when power is off) check your capacitors (should be two, one for the compressor and one for the condenser/evap fan). While you have all power off the trailer, check for loose/disconnected wires etc.
Yes, I actually cleaned the filters before our trip. If one of the Capacitors is bad, couldn't those be replaced? I'm not an HVAC guy obviously but I am pretty handy and could handle some of those technical Problems. I'm trying to avoid a trip to the Dealer. I got 5 days before our next trip (Teton NP). Good thing is that Teton is not normally too hot and I think the Single AC will handle it well.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Mobile , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznitch15 View Post
Yes, I actually cleaned the filters before our trip. If one of the Capacitors is bad, couldn't those be replaced? I'm not an HVAC guy obviously but I am pretty handy and could handle some of those technical Problems. I'm trying to avoid a trip to the Dealer. I got 5 days before our next trip (Teton NP). Good thing is that Teton is not normally too hot and I think the Single AC will handle it well.

Yes, the capacitors can be replaced. Once you open the panel (with power off) it can be obvious if they're bad as sometimes they'll bulge. Other time's they'll be off by just a little bit and be bad. You'll need a multi-meter with that has a capacitance test. Make sure you short out the capacitor before you start taking wires off. An insulated screwdriver across both terminals works fine (make sure power is off!!!!) They have a tolerance of +/- 5%, so a 45uf capacitor only needs to test at 42.75uf to be bad. A lot of times they'll drop to 0 before they get caught (without bulging) and most of those a motor change follows in a couple months.
88Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Hello All, I was out at Zion NP with the Family this past week. This was our first Long Stay in our AS. Its a 2019 FB30 Bunk. The Forward A/C unit seems to not be blowing Cold Air. The unit comes on and it blows air, just not cold air. The unit worked fine on our two previous short stays at our local home RV park. The (Rear) unit worked fine. Any suggestions?

Could be the same problem I had, loss of refrigerant.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ml#post2504525

I would have expected it to have quit cooling gradually. But no. Two week trip an it worked fine. Tried it a week after we got home and nothing. Fans and compressors running (at approx. half the normal amp draw due to lack of compressor resistance), but zero cold air.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Unfortunately there are very few "replaceable parts" on one of these units:

You have the capacitors that can be replaced. If the fan is running ok, that one is probably good.

You have the control board, they do fail, but not all that often.

You have the thermostat, if you are getting the fan running, it's a good bet the thermostat is doing it's job.

All of these are "most likely / most of the time / best guess" sorts of things. Some strange wire falls of somewhere once in every thousand failures. It's not going to get on a list like this. That's why you want a pro to look it over before you get deep into the "replace it now" part of this ....

Bob
Old 06-16-2021, 11:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hemet , California
Following this thread as I also have 2 AC units and working great but curious to what your findings are.
Night owls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:52 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night owls View Post
Following this thread as I also have 2 AC units and working great but curious to what your findings are.
Well it’s been a super scorching heat wave in SoCal this past week and I didn’t get on the roof to checkout the AC. I elected to just rough it out with one AC for now as I travel to Wyoming and much cooler weather. Currently I’m sitting in Las Vegas for the night while I make my way up. It’s 100degrees currently at 11pm here and my one AC is struggling to keep up for now. I hope it doesn’t break from constantly running it this one night. I’ll most likely get a good look at it once I get to Wyoming or just wait til I make it back home next weekend.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:52 AM   #10
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
is it still under warranty? not a big job to replace
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:44 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
is it still under warranty? not a big job to replace
Hi

It is a big chunk of "stuff" up on the roof. That alone may make it a big job for some. ( = folks have had roof damage as a result of someone not quite understanding how to deal with an aluminum roof).

Bob
Old 07-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
So it’s been a few busy weeks and I finally made it up top on the roof to take a look. Removed the cover and inside the unit is fairly clean considering it’s a few years old. I was surprised to see that it already comes installed with an easy start from the factory.

So I opened the cover where all the cables were at. I noticed two cables weren’t attached to anything. Red and a white cable. At first I couldn’t find where they might go, but after some digging I found two possible spots. But I wanted to post this first. I will have pictures to follow.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Here are some of the pictures. The red cable is coming from the small black cylindrical unit. The white is coming from underneath the capacitor I believe but not from the actual capacitor.

The places that have an open spot are both on the capacitor I believe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5BE4DBE6-1A55-459E-A729-BAEDC0EB50AA.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	399648   Click image for larger version

Name:	F2E74E6E-D417-420B-9B33-09078213A505.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	399649  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5BA536C9-75D6-46B2-90A3-5B2F9DDBA031.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	399650  
Old 07-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Here are some of the pictures. The red cable is coming from the small black cylindrical unit. The white is coming from underneath the capacitor I believe but not from the actual capacitor.

The places that have an open spot are both on the capacitor I believe.
Hi

I find it hard to believe both those wires simply fell off. My guess is that somebody pulled them off for a reason. Are you the original owner of this AS? ( = do you know the full history of the trailer ? ).

Bob
Old 07-18-2021, 06:34 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
I’m the second owner. The first owner I know wouldn’t have climbed to the roof. It’s possible that maybe a maintenance tech at some point was up there and messed with the cables. but hard to believe that he would just pull those cables off and forget to put them back.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:55 AM   #16
ZOZ
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
Diagram-The Red Wire is Supposed To Be Disconnected

ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:25 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the wire is supposed to be disconnected, get some very normal black electrical tape and tape off the end of the wire. That way this question will not come up again and again as folks work on that A/C unit ....

Bob