Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2003, 08:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Power required to run A/C

I've always been told that you should not run your A/C at less than 115 volts as indicated on those voltmeters you plug in to an outlet. Often at campgrounds the voltage will be in the green (115 or higher), then I put the A/C on and it goes in the red - just slightly. Can anyone tell me if this is in fact true or can I run my A/C slightly in the red.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:35 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
maybe

ken

are you using any extention cords? if so remove them and try it again.

you might be ok, that would be assuming your "meter" is accurate. you may want to double check it with a quality and accurate voltmeter.

my trailer, a '92, has a built in cut off on the compressor that will not engage below 109 volts. it also turns a red warning light on when this happens.

it is a good thing you are paying attention to this, low voltage and high current are very hard on ac units.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 10:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
John

No extension cords.

Cuts off below 109 volts - wonder if that means I can operate it down close to that level...???

Yea,, I'll have to check it with the meter. This does not happen all the time, for example, last weekend we were in a state park and it was in the red - at campgrounds I've had it where its great all day long, then in the evening when everyone cranks up their A/C it goes into the red.

If anyone knows what voltage you can safely operate the A/C - I would appreciate knowing it - I assume its 115

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote