Old 11-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Lewes , Delaware
Possible air conditioning problem

Recently I had the opportunity to take a late-season trip with my 2017 23 FB. I did manage to find a full hookup site at the area that I had targeted so I had the convenience of water electricity and sewage. Temperature did get down on the chilly side at night but not below 40 I decided to utilize the auto setting on my thermostat which brought the heat pump into play. I thought that it had sounded rather noisy but it was producing enough he could make it very comfortable in my camper. After the third night it seemed rather cool in the camper at least below the setting on the thermostat but the air conditioner appeared to be in a lot quieter. At one point during my stay the inside temperature of the camper rose above the set temperature on the thermostat and the air-conditioning unit came on to deliver cool air. This is exactly how I would expect this system to function but I am concerned about the system not providing warm air. Has anyone on the forum experienced a situation such as I described and can possibly offer opinions on why this occurred. By the way I have checked all the fuses in the panel and all appeared to be okay. Also I am running surge suppressors on my system.
sandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just like an AC, a heat pump *can* ice up. Also, a heat pump *will* stop working at some magic temperature in the vicinity of 40 degrees. The closer it gets to that magic temperature, the colder the air out of the heat pump will be.

Next up, if you are shooting for 80 degrees in the trailer and it's 110 out, the system will struggle a bit. It will handle a 30 degree delta, but only sort of. The same thing will happen if it's 50 out and you are trying for 80. The system is going to struggle.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote