Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 28
etters , Pennsylvania
possible AC leak

One time I wrote and ask about a leak in the ceiling of our 1972 Argosy. It was near the side beds along the seam. I could see the water in the seam. Someone said it could possibly be coming from the A.C. or a crack in the roof. My husband checked the roof but didn't see anything significant, although he put sealant on a small spot. Seemed fine. Now, our ceiling leaked after a hard rain in a different spot. It was along a seam, but this time near the couch. It doesn't happen every time it rains. It rained this weekend and no leaks. This weekend we also noticed our A.C. doesn't seem to be getting cold. It's an Armstrong with the #917-01 on it. Any suggestions? My husband was going to try and replace the gasket. Can you find them? Do you still think the leaks are from the A.C.Thanks
The Oats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Maybe if you could post some pictures of where in the interior the water is appearing. Or better descibe the location. Water can appear far away from the point of entry because of the way these trailers are built. Usual culprits are the plumbing vent gaskets. You should have two vents. Cracks in the sealant around the roof vents, and TV antenna mount if there is one. Also look where the antenna cable goes through the roof. Mine leaked there. Condensation from the A/C if there is a problem with the seal or the drain. Probably not if the A/C is not getting cold. Leaks around the clearance lights - doubtful that these would appear very far from the lights along the wall. Using the search function here you will find several threads about finding and fixing water leaks. Using a garden hose full steam - no nozzle and working your way very slowly and methodically from the bottom up while someone on the inside watches for water to appear is one way. Watch for water to appear where the inside wall meets the floor. It might show up there first. Good luck. Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 28
etters , Pennsylvania
we'll try that. thanks for the suggestions.
The Oats is offline   Reply With Quote