Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Portable AC units ?????

Help with an issue, Anyone used the portable AC units in their vintage AS?

I like the lines of my Caravel and DO NOT WANT TO PUT A BIG BOX ON TOP. This said, I like the comfort of an air conditioned room when sleeping. I have seen some of you use the portable AC units and have them free standing in the bathroom. How do you vent the heated exhaust and where? Does the unit cool well? What models are you using? Where did you get it? This is a short fused issue since I will be using the Caravel this weekend at Disney. I can put up with the heat but ----------- - well you know what else follows.......... . So, if you have info please post. My wife says thank you in advance.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've used 3 different makes of the units you're talking about. They are at best marginal IMHO.

The heat they throw out is substantial and venting will be needed for sure....not sure what you'd do in and Airstream. In some cases the unit would run constantly and, in humid conditions, the tanks would fill in a very short period of time. We had to hook a drain hose to them, otherwise they'd shut down.

Bottom line, they were more problematic than they were helpful in our case....your mileage may vary.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Yes Mike you are going to have to check into this, so you and your wife can make a trip up here to Sardis in July.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
One of the forum members concocted something that stood in the main doorway, through a piece of (?)plywood(?) and vented outdoors through the main door opening.I am not sure how well it worked, and haven't heard back from them.
I would imagine an air conditioner mounted on the floor. with the hot and wet end sticking out through a plywood door, would be better than nothing, but it would sure look like, well, umm, it would look like it belonged at Disney World...
Old 04-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
I'm looking to avoid the window units for now but have thought of using the utility access door for an external mount. Just no time to build or design the thing for this weekend (and yse, the look would be .....). I have seen the smaller freestanding vertical units just standing and draining directly in the shower drain.

I'll keep looking.......
Old 04-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
low profile

Same opinion on the box on top of a Caravel. I am pulling the Coleman this week and putting on a low profile....Penguin or Carrier....they have a 7.5 to 9.5 height. Has anyone actually put the water drain tube over to the vent tube for a clean installation? Have fun at Disney
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
Yes Mike you are going to have to check into this, so you and your wife can make a trip up here to Sardis in July.

Becky
SARDIS in July???????? I just got home from Dubai, I know what heat is. I actually melted the soles of my tennis shoes on the steel deck because I stood still too long. If I have AC - I can go anywhere....... Help
Old 04-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Michael, you could CAREFULLY remove the front window, and temporarily install a window air conditioner in the front window of the Caravel for this weekend, so you will be cool, and consider your options. In the front, it wouldn't look so, umm, Rube Goldberg-esque. There ARE other options, just not something you can get done in a week.
There are the split units, where you could mount the compressor and condensor outside, behind the propane tanks, and mount the evaporator and blower inside, with a small hole to run the refrigerant lines.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Michael, you could CAREFULLY remove the front window, and temporarily install a window air conditioner in the front window of the Caravel for this weekend, so you will be cool, and consider your options. In the front, it wouldn't look so, umm, Rube Goldberg-esque. There ARE other options, just not something you can get done in a week.
There are the split units, where you could mount the compressor and condensor outside, behind the propane tanks, and mount the evaporator and blower inside, with a small hole to run the refrigerant lines.
Yep, we use the split units on our "van's" that we work in aboard ship. They even have quick connects that allow us to remove the external units if we need to do a quick swap. There is alot of computers in a 20 foot CONEX and they have to remain cool. The split units are pricy$$$$$$$$ but are a solid option for future installation. BTW the units we use are nearly damage proof, except when a forklift drives a fork into it, real mess.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
InsideOut used a portable last year when she went to Springfield, MO for the international rally. I can't find the picture of her set-up. She vented the unit through one of the windows using a piece of plexiglass to replace the glass. You might PM her.

I have a 66 and want to do "something else" for AC, too.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Thumbs Down on the Roll Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
...Has anyone actually put the water drain tube over to the vent tube for a clean installation? ...
I spent a lot of time in '03 installing a GE rollabout in the cabin of the 345 - with dismal results...

I ran the water (with a "Quick Connect" and a valve on each side of the contection) to the water drain line of the front AC...that was the easy part.

The Exhaust hose was routed under the couch and exited "down" just in front of the LPG tank....both the water line and the air exhaust utilized the front door under the couch for access.

The resulting cooling was of so little benefit I don't use it at all any more.

IMHO I would not attempt to install a rollabout portable....

An associate of mine has a "split unit" in his spa room - works great. While I have no working knowledge of these types of units, I would be inclined to try one in an AS.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Clancy,

I use a portable room A/C unit in my house as an emergency back-up when the power is out and I'm running on generator power. It works very well in a 17' X 22' room. The exhaust goes thru a door with a spacer that I made (4" hose like a dryer) and the design evaporates most of the water before it hits the drain hose. This unit has both a catch tray for the water and a tube to drain the water.....but there usually isn't much. I don't recall the brand but I can get it to you if you like. As I recall, it is the most efficient unit out there and only draws 10.5 amps.

Let me know if you need the info.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:42 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We bought a rollabout last summer for use as a backup, while our whole house unit was being repaired. It removed a lot of moisture from the air. We were constantly emptying the condensate tub. I think the biggest problem is the heat given off by the duct vent is re-radiated into the room the unit is in. That duct gets real hot! If one could keep that vent duct exposure in the room to nil or very small it just might work. When you have 3 or 4 feet exposed, that throws off a lot of heat. You in effect have a heater and airconditioner running in the same room.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Ok, lets hear it for the Kiln-billy...... Come on - let me have it. I had to cut a 1/2 inch piece of plywood and fit it to the open rear window of the Caravel. Then made a cut out for the small AC window unit. Works, cools the camper - LOOKS LIKE You Know What...... But, this will keep us cool for the trip to Disney and will get us camping for the first time in our "new to us" AS. I will definitely have a permanent solution to this issue before long. Axle first then gas then AC. The list goes on...

Thanks for all your inputs.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Remember, you asked for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Ok, lets hear it for the Kiln-billy...... Come on - let me have it. I had to cut a 1/2 inch piece of plywood and fit it to the open rear window of the Caravel. Then made a cut out for the small AC window unit. Works, cools the camper - LOOKS LIKE You Know What...... But, this will keep us cool for the trip to Disney and will get us camping for the first time in our "new to us" AS. I will definitely have a permanent solution to this issue before long. Axle first then gas then AC. The list goes on...

Thanks for all your inputs.
M-I-C,...K-E-Y,...M-O-U-S-E!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Ouch - double meaning to that phrase....
Old 04-26-2006, 07:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
InsideOut used a portable last year when she went to Springfield, MO for the international rally. I can't find the picture of her set-up. She vented the unit through one of the windows using a piece of plexiglass to replace the glass. You might PM her.

I have a 66 and want to do "something else" for AC, too.
Sorry I didn't see this post sooner...here's a link to an earlier thread with lots of ideas and our set-up that eljay mentioned. It didn't work all that well, it did take the edge off the heat and lower the humidity, but the exhaust vent does get hot & heat up the space almost as much as the unit cools it off. We will be trying a temporary window-type unit next time we need one, here in CO we don't need A/C very often, only when we go to rallies in hotter areas - like Internationals in June/July.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

We, too, like Shari used a portable free standing A/C unit at International last year. It did dry the air a bit. Standing in front of the vents was cool, but the exhaust tube we vented to the outside thru a roof vent warmed the Globe Trotter as much as the unit cooled it.
We are in the throws of installing a 15,000 btu Carrier Low-Profile roof top a/c unit. Its only 7 inches tall. Ouch, we must cut a hole in the GT's roof. That should cool us in Salem.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Yep, looks like a roof top is the way I will have to go. I just did not want to rush into a choice and the window unit is the immediate solution to the heat.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Yeah, I would imagine living in Mississippi I would want a full-time unit too!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote