Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2020, 07:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Plugged AC Drain

We have ALWAYS had a problem with our bedroom air conditioning draining across the roof. We took it in for warranty work before the warranty expired and we were told that nothing was wrong. I tried weedeater cord on a drill and compressed air at the wheel well with no results. I have pulled down the air filter cover and here is what I found.

What do you suggest I do to clean the tube?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plugged drain.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	384523  
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have a little 1 gallon shop vac so I just use that to gently vacuum the line at the street end. I just kind of form a loose air seal with my hand between the drain line and the vacuum hose. Works like a champ.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Just to make sure that you know that normally there are two AC drain tubes. One at the front of the wheelwell on the driver’s side for the AC at the front of the trailer and the second one is at the rear of the same wheelwell for the AC at the rear of the trailer. You might also look closely at the drain cups, while the AC is running, to see if the drain cup is over flowing. There is a nipple on the drain cup that can crack or break off and needs replaced.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Keizer , Oregon
Hi
Several months ago I repaired my condensate pan. And in the process I decided to connect a water hose to the drain line inside the trailer with a couple of fittings and just flush the gunk out. Nothing more than a towell on the floor below to catch the drips. Worked great.
Ahroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Update:

So looking at my tubing, the hoses that go from the cups to the tee seem clear. As you can see in my first post, the line exiting the tee going to my wheel well is green with algae and gunk. I did manage to disconnect that line from the tee and was able to partially fill it with water and bleach. The hose, at least what I can see, got nice and clean. However, the water will still not drain. I then took a small vacuum to the wheel well and tried to clean the line, but nothing came out. I even filled the top of the line with more water and bleach thinking this might help create a vacuum....no luck.

I then went back in the trailer with weed eater line and inserted it in the tube. I could only go 20 inches before it stopped. When it stopped, it feels like a narrowing of the tubing as there is a slight resistance when pulling the line out of the tube.

I put my IPhone up there to take a picture of where the tubing runs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8238.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	384700

Where I have circled looks like a possible constraint. I’m not sure that is 20” back, but that is as far as I can see. Any suggestions on fixing this?
Old 12-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
So I video taped running the weed eater line down the tube and it gets stopped about 6” past where you can see the possible constraint in the tube. No idea how to fix this!
Old 12-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Try getting a piece of small diameter hard poly tubing and inserting it inside of the pvc tubing. It is more rigid than weedeater line.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Try getting a piece of small diameter hard poly tubing and inserting it inside of the pvc tubing. It is more rigid than weedeater line.
Larry
Thanks....can you send a link. Is this a tube (hollow in middle) or a more stiff version of the weedeater line?
Old 12-11-2020, 02:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

This stuff is available at Lowe's/Home Depot. It is milky looking and with all of the plastic tubing. Comes in different diameters so find what you need. I did this with a clogged drain on my boat, long ago. It is stiff enough to unplug a clog, but gentle on the pvc tubing that is there.
Larry
Old 12-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
I use a length of clothesline (vinyl wrapped cable) and push it through the lines. It is small enough to fit and stiff enough to push past any blockages. You can get it at any hardware or big-box building stores.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/50-Green-...-Wire/54001989
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...5025/202957532
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:48 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
We have ALWAYS had a problem with our bedroom air conditioning draining across the roof. We took it in for warranty work before the warranty expired and we were told that nothing was wrong. I tried weedeater cord on a drill and compressed air at the wheel well with no results. I have pulled down the air filter cover and here is what I found.

What do you suggest I do to clean the tube?
You can also disconnect drain line where you first photo is and blow from that end to try and clear line.
WBCCI#8934
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
I don’t know this for certain, but I’m afraid the tubing is linked or bent at 90 degrees. When I push the weed eater line hard and try to remove it it feels like the vinyl tubing is catching it.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Larry's idea of the hard poly tubing seems like a good idea. refrigerator water tubing is often stiff like that. I have conduit electrical wire puller that also works very well. You can pull on the drain tubing a bit while feeding in the stiffer fishing line in. You may also have better luck starting from the outside exit....

You may also try compressed air to try to unkink the area. set the regulator to 20 psi max.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:26 AM   #14
K4TCJ

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Crestview , Florida
Had the same issues with my 2009 27 FC. After lots of research I discovered Airstream does not install the drain kit as per manufacture. There is supposed to be double gaskets under the a/c where it is mounted on the roof. This raises the drain pans about 1” above the roof and allows proper drainage. There is also a double gasket strip installed near the aft part of the a/c to help keep it level. At no point should the a/c touch the roof.
Hope this helps.......
K4TCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4TCJ View Post
Had the same issues with my 2009 27 FC. After lots of research I discovered Airstream does not install the drain kit as per manufacture. There is supposed to be double gaskets under the a/c where it is mounted on the roof. This raises the drain pans about 1” above the roof and allows proper drainage. There is also a double gasket strip installed near the aft part of the a/c to help keep it level. At no point should the a/c touch the roof.
Hope this helps.......

Thanks. I am aware of that issue from reading here. My pans seem to drain fine, but 20” in from the pans I have an obstruction that feels like a kinked line.

I’m frustrated with Airstream as I brought this up in my warranty list and the dealer said it drained fine. WRONG....it has never drained through that hose! I called Airstream the other day and was 4th in line for help. After 20 minutes I was still 4th in line and I could leave my number for a call back. That was 10 days ago! I have not heard from them.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Did you try Larry's idea?
Old 12-21-2020, 05:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master

This stuff

https://www.mcmaster.com/polyethylen...-and-beverage/

The polyethylene tubing is what I used. Comes in lots of sizes. Lowe's and Home Depot have it by the foot with the vinyl tubing.

Larry
Old 12-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Did you try Larry's idea?

I did.....I used firm poly tubing meant for rigatoni’s systems. It did not collapse.....just would not go past the 20” mark.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
How unfortunate. Perhaps if you put 10 psi from a compressor also and try again.....
Old 12-23-2020, 10:13 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
If it were me I would go on a quest with Airstream to have them repair/ fix a problem that was not caught by there QC process. Would make it my mission in life for them to line you up with a dealer capable of finding and correcting this problem. Seems like you have done everything you could possibly do. Only airstream can tell you how the drain tubing was to be run per manufacturing specs. And more importantly what options you might have to replace aka run a new drain hose.