Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

St Louis , Missouri
Pilot light 72 safari

Cannot get my pilot light lit in my 72 Safari with a Suburban heater. Gas is on and there is a shut off value on the copper tubing just before it enters the heater. That is also on. Don't thnk I'm getting any gas to it. Is There somehitng else I need to do?
slimitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Could it be clogged? I've heard that it is a common place for getting clogged. Has the outside shutoff towards the front of the trailer been turned on?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

St Louis , Missouri
Did not see an outside cutoff valve. Where is it located?
slimitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
I have a '72 Safari with the original Suburban and it is really, really hard to light. First, turn on the all burners on the stove. Maybe it's just my wishful thinking but that seems to "pull" the gas through the line. I think the secret is to use one of those long lighter dealies and just hold the flame over the pilot area for about a minute before you even start to try to light it. Maybe that warms up the thermacouple (<-sp?) I don't know. I get in this contortionist pose of using my foot to hold down the "press" button while I try to light the pilot. Eventually it gets going, but it is very frustrating when your freezing.
Good Luck
Old 12-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimitch
Did not see an outside cutoff valve. Where is it located?
The gas valve for the furnace is located either on the side of the furnace, or immediately underneath the trailer mounted to the underbelly.

You would be wise to remove the furnace and have it "bench" torn apart, cleaned and repaired as necessary, and then bench tested.

There are some gaskets that will need to be replaced to assure that no carbon monoxide gets in the trailer.

Unless your familiar with LPG furnaces, you should seek professional assistance to help you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote