Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Penguin II and CCC2 thermostat install questions

I am installing a penguin II AC with CCC2 thermostat and have some questions.
1. The CCC2 thermostat requires a telephone cable to connect the AC unit to the thermostat. I purchased this telephone cable and it is made like picture that has the "crossed out" marker (see picture). So it appears I need to cut the cable and flip around one connector - is this correct? What kind of crimping tool do I need to do this?
2. Instructions do not include any 12V supply to the thermostat, so I assume it gets power from this telephone cable?
3. There is a 12V connection (in addition to 120V) to the AC; what does the 12V power supply? Maybe the thermostat?

Thanks for any help.
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC cable instructions.jpg
Views:	1657
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	283491  
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Yes, you do need to change the cable the way you describe. I suppose you could do it simly by cutting the cable and reversing all the wire connections, but easiest is to just buy the phone connectors and the crimping tool that is used with them - that is what I did.

You should be able to get the connectors and crimping tool made especially for the phone connectors from a place such as Radio Shack or similar - or order on Ebay /Amazon. The tool is inexpensive and very easy to use. It strips the cable and crimps the connector on. Mine was less than $10.

"Lewster" was very helpul to me on this subject!

There is no connection to the thermostat other than this "phone" connector, so I am sure you are right in assuming it gets it's 12v via that cable.

I'm not sure as to your question #3 as I have not been into that aspect of the wiring, but I am thinking that most likely you only need to supply 110VAC and that the control board of the air conditioner then provides the 12v control voltage. No guarantees on that - just my best guess!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Greg,

You can buy a crimping tool and supplies for the required RJ-11 jack at any big box home improvement store like Lowes or Home Depot. Many Ace Hardware stores also carry them.

As for your questions:

1. See the above answer and yes, you MUST remove one end of a phone cable and reverse it to make it a 'data' cable compatible with Dometic's wiring requirements.

2. You will need a 12VDC connection AT the A/C unit. There will be a red and black wire, along with 2 blue wires and 2 yellow wires. The red/black are for your 12VDC power input. The CCC-II gets it's power thru the data cable. The 2 blue wires are for your furnace connection and the yellows are for a load shed device which you won't be using.

3. Answered in #2

You can use either RJ-11 union (found at the end of the black data cables leading to the relay control board) as input for the CCC-II as they both terminate in the same location on the control board.

Any other questions???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1410 View Post
I am installing a penguin II AC with CCC2 thermostat and have some questions.
1. The CCC2 thermostat requires a telephone cable to connect the AC unit to the thermostat. I purchased this telephone cable and it is made like picture that has the "crossed out" marker (see picture). So it appears I need to cut the cable and flip around one connector - is this correct? What kind of crimping tool do I need to do this?
2. Instructions do not include any 12V supply to the thermostat, so I assume it gets power from this telephone cable?
3. There is a 12V connection (in addition to 120V) to the AC; what does the 12V power supply? Maybe the thermostat?

Thanks for any help.
Greg
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Awesome - thank you all so much - will get going on this.
Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Shelton , Washington
penguin II AC , need help figuring out the wiring

I have installed a penguin II AC unit and having a hard time figuring out how to wire the roof top unit to the air distribution box, the lower part that has the controls. The penguin II model number is 641816C751C0, it the high output model. Looking up at the installed AC unit, there are wires hanging down through the return air duct. Three of the wires black, white and yellow/green are within a metal receptacle can. These look to be where the 120 volt Romex from the breaker panel go to power the AC unit. Then there is two small white wires with a plug at then end. Next two telephone type wires with plugs on the end of them. Next Two yellow, two blue, red and black wires . Ok that's all of the wires hanging down from the AC unit.

The lower unit ( ceiling unit ) is also a Dometic penguin, model number 3310741.061
This unit has a white wire, black wire, yellow/green wire. There is also a a six wire socket with yellow, white, red, blue and black wires.

Reading the installation instructions -

For the roof top unit you are told to route the black, white and yellow/green wires with the can that they are in to the outside of the 14x14 opening and fasten it to the framing and to connect your 120 volt power supply to it. After that it starts to get a bit confusing. Where do the rest of the wires go ?

The ceiling unit instructions just say to plug the wires from the upper unit into it and to route the 120 volt power supply into the 14x14 opening and connect to the white, black and yellow/green wires.

So just not sure what gos where, any help out there ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC1.jpeg
Views:	1138
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	341286   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC2.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	341287  

Toolmanbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:37 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Shelton , Washington
One more thing, I do not have a wall thermostat do I need one for this unit ? was just planing on using the controls on the ceiling unit. And this will be the only AC unit in the Airstream.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Shelton , Washington
Was asked the question, so here it is as I remember.

I know this post is a bit old but thought that I would give an update on what I had figured out at the time.

Ok, first problem that I encounter was that I had the wrong ADB for my roof top unit. Once I got the right one things made a bit more sense. Second problem was when I tried to power up the unit after completing the trailer wiring. Nothing at all happened when trying to turn on the AC CCC 2 thermostat controller , just seemed dead. So I took things apart and started checking with a volt meter the 120V and the 12V wiring and voltage, everything looked good ? why no power to the CCC 2 bad board or what. I looked over the wiring diagrams and zeroed in on the communication cable that gos between the roof top unit and the CCC 2 unit. The diagram tells you that you must reverse the ends on the cable. RJ-11-6C4P only type that can be used, they look like phone type plugs. What they fail to tell you is it makes a difference on which end that you reverse. After I reversed the end ( opposite on each end from the way I had them ). I tried to turn on the system from the CCC 2 thermostat controller, I now had power and with a short delay the AC came on.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Shelton , Washington
And yes I did need a wall thermostat CCC 2 with communication cable.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #9

2019 25' International
MOORESVILLE , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmanbt View Post
Was asked the question, so here it is as I remember.

I know this post is a bit old but thought that I would give an update on what I had figured out at the time.

Ok, first problem that I encounter was that I had the wrong ADB for my roof top unit. Once I got the right one things made a bit more sense. Second problem was when I tried to power up the unit after completing the trailer wiring. Nothing at all happened when trying to turn on the AC CCC 2 thermostat controller , just seemed dead. So I took things apart and started checking with a volt meter the 120V and the 12V wiring and voltage, everything looked good ? why no power to the CCC 2 bad board or what. I looked over the wiring diagrams and zeroed in on the communication cable that gos between the roof top unit and the CCC 2 unit. The diagram tells you that you must reverse the ends on the cable. RJ-11-6C4P only type that can be used, they look like phone type plugs. What they fail to tell you is it makes a difference on which end that you reverse. After I reversed the end ( opposite on each end from the way I had them ). I tried to turn on the system from the CCC 2 thermostat controller, I now had power and with a short delay the AC came on.
I think I am having the same issues...can you tell me which ADB you switched to? I have the one you originally had and do not believe it is right for my unit. Thanks...
Shannoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:36 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Shelton , Washington
If I have this right :

I used the Penguin II 641816CXX1CO roof top unit.
ADB was a model number 3106615.
CCC2 thermostat model number is 3312024.
And the indoor temp sensor is 3311931.

I hope this helps you.