Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Old Coleman air conditioner

In a couple of weeks I am going to take off the old coleman airconditioner. I cannot afford a new one and the old one still will put out some cool air. What should I be doing to it when I get if off the trailer?

The reason I am taking it off is because of a water leak when it rains. I looked at the bolts on top of the shroud and they look pretty rough. Where can I get new bolts? Those long bolts that hold the airconditioner to the trailer? Can this thing be recharged even though it does not have the valves to hook lines up to. I want this thing to make it another year.

Lothlorian
Old 03-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
This got moved off the portal so I am bringing it back to the front.

Lothlorian
Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hey Brian, sorry I couldn't respond earlier. SOME of the AC units cannot be recharged from what I've read here on the forum. Maybe if you get a specific model number and post it here somebody will have an answer for you.

My Overlander came with an Armstrong unit. It is still there and still works. A PO went thru it in the ealy '90's and replaced several things (compressor and capacitors). From what I've read here, it seems the older models can be repaired, while the newer units seem to get replaced an awful lot.

Good luck with it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
One thing I forgot to mention is that there is a data plate on the inside of the camper that shows the model number, electrical info and so on. You have to remove the inside shroud. The plate on the Armstrong is on the main part of the AC unit where the blower exits into the interior (would that be called a diverter?). Anyway, something to look for.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote